Huw Edwards

On 18/09/2024 at 14:04, Jives Miguel said:

You'd prefer if everyone spoke like some little posh, Tory London c**t instead?

There's no right or wrong way to speak English, dickhead. All people from all parts of the country should feel represented by the voices they hear on the telly and radio.

Pipe down c**t (see i can swear and act big too), dickhead. 

Strongly disagree with you there, but that's not what i'm meaning at all, just think if you're on the telly or radio presenting shows, you should make an effort to be a bit clearer sounding. Being interviewed or invited on the odd program is different altogether, you speak how you speak, but if you're getting paid as a presenter it's a bit of a requirement to be clearly understood.

There are a few annoying c***s that i listed that just bug the shit out of me though, the way they speak is just the tip of it, but still annoying listening to them. Swash is an annoying c**t just for how he behaves, Dooley and Clark also annoy me, and i find them dropping letters annoying too (all presenters on shows), and Stewart's should of, could of, speak is a pet hate of mine, but he's also a shite pundit. 

17 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Pipe down c**t (see i can swear and act big too), dickhead. 

Strongly disagree with you there, but that's not what i'm meaning at all, just think if you're on the telly or radio presenting shows, you should make an effort to be a bit clearer sounding. Being interviewed or invited on the odd program is different altogether, you speak how you speak, but if you're getting paid as a presenter it's a bit of a requirement to be clearly understood.

There are a few annoying c***s that i listed that just bug the shit out of me though, the way they speak is just the tip of it, but still annoying listening to them. Swash is an annoying c**t just for how he behaves, Dooley and Clark also annoy me, and i find them dropping letters annoying too (all presenters on shows), and Stewart's should of, could of, speak is a pet hate of mine, but he's also a shite pundit. 

So just for clarification, do you not understand what they say, or do they just annoy you even though you understand them perfectly well?

22 hours ago, velo army said:

Calm down man. This isn't a binary. Accents are great (ironically I'm defending someone from West Lothian,  which is an awful accent) but he's right that lazy English isn't great for broadcasters. And aye, pronouncing a "th" as "f" is pretty lazy, ditto the "could of" nonsense that Stewart spouts which is simply wrong.

True, even i hate to hear myself when i've been filmed, sound much better in my own head before i speak.

19 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

So just for clarification, do you not understand what they say, or do they just annoy you even though you understand them perfectly well?

You doing your questioning for the prosecution, before i get jumped on? 😂

Bit of a struggle at times, but yeah mostly, but for a tv presenter it's just lazy. Talking to mates or outside of tv work then fine, but you moderate your language when presenting tv shows and don't go about swearing, which is what i'm getting at, changing how you normally talk, for how you talk presenting a tv show. Not suggesting putting on a posh voice like some folk do answering a telephone, just clearly forming words without slang. 

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

It's been surreal to watch the Thames estuary accent evolve from using 'auhh' at the end of words with a hard 'a', to appending an 'r' after it. Goin' dahn ta Asdauhr, babes.

Congrats to Huw for managing to deflect onto his horrific accent, BTW. Dunno how he did it, but here we are.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/sep/19/huw-edwards-defence-guilty-alcohol-oxford

"Whether it’s alcohol, low self-esteem or not getting into Oxford, guilty men often seem to deploy the worst mitigating claims."

47 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/sep/19/huw-edwards-defence-guilty-alcohol-oxford

"Whether it’s alcohol, low self-esteem or not getting into Oxford, guilty men often seem to deploy the worst mitigating claims."

I just need to start drinking and I'm bulletproof.

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I started primary school in 1960.  Looking back the things that teachers seemed to place most importance on was utterly bizarre.

The only positive ‘fixation’ of that time was mental arithmetic.  Being able to deduct 15 from 90 without using a calculator may not seem important but is surely good for mental acuity.

People in shops who cannot do very simple sums pisses me off (I know PTTGOYN for this pish).

It pisses me off as well, but mainly because I'm the person in the shop who would struggle to do the maths. My arithmetic is ok but it could be far better and quicker. Sadly, when I was at school we dealt more with Pythagoras theorem and algebra than actual counting. A fat lot of good the former has ever done for me but being shit at the latter has caused me some embarrassing moments in the past. 

I posted something like this previously and was slated for it. I'll let you guess by which poster...