The bombing of Yogi Hughes career

On 17/07/2023 at 09:59, craigkillie said:

Hughes is like Harry Redknapp in that every single one of those funny stories he tells never actually happened - a perennial bullshitter.

Wait, so you're telling me 'Arry didnt say to a striker requesting a goal bonus "well I'm not paying you to miss them"? Shocked.

Next you'll be telling me Gazza wasnt a lovable rogue and was, in fact, an immature twat who sounds liked a nightmare to work with...

On 13/07/2023 at 14:43, BTFD said:

Maybe a manager who would do better with a partner to fill in for the areas he's not so strong in, like Brian Clough.

Whoa, I just compared John Hughes to Brian Clough  :blink:

I think a lot of his success can be attributed to Brian Rice.

Remember listening to Hughes on Radio Scotland a few years ago, when the Morton job was available, probably around the time Ray McKinnon was appointed and swiftly left; Hughes was asked if he’d be interested in it.

He quickly gave a diplomatic answer along the lines of “Oh aye, Mortun ur a good club like, but ah don’t think it’s one that would interest me”.

Didn’t know how to take that- relief that that fool would be unlikely to ever darken our door or to take offence to the idea that he thinks that he’s above managing my club as opposed to Morton being above his station.

Suspect his stance would be different now and he’ll be filed alongside Mark McGhee as one of those guys whose name I’ll be terrified to see crop up when Dougie eventually departs.

• 3 months later...