The bombing of Yogi Hughes career

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

John "Yogi" Hughes in the commentary box for the Fife Derby.

He could easily have been in the dugout for either of (or maybe even both) these teams if there was not a conspiracy against him.

Was listening to that game on my way back from Brechin, he's got no shame really, what a brass neck on him.j

Regardless of how it may appear to those looking back at his brief time at County, he was terrible. I was at almost every game of his reign and County survived, despite Hughes, not because of him. 

He took full use of the, new at the time, 5 subs rule, to overhaul the lineup as 1st half was always a disaster. The senior players got us through those games, not Yogi.

Now that he's away from my club, I've nothing against the guy, I'm sure he'd be good craic in the pub with a few pints but I wouldn't trust him to run a bath never mind a football team.

Edited by Sensible Soccer🏴
Can't spell.

As a positive slant Yogi did track down a 34 year old Russell Latapy on a Portuguese beach to sign for Falkirk who was absolutely vital to the resurgence of that team. Latapy played over 180 games for Falkirk in a 6 season spell. I believe he played more games for Falkirk than he did for United, Hibs and Rangers combined. I think many Falkirk fans rate him one of the greatest ever signings.

“…..Hughes said his favourite Latapy moment came during a pre-season training session after he helped the club storm the First Division in the 98/99 campaign.

"We were in pre-season at Stirling University, it was a hot day and we were running round the track in groups of about four or five," Yogi recalled.

"We're running round, these 200-metre sprints, pouring with sweat, I remember one of the boys looks up and there's Russell at the back of the line.

Latapy is shirtless, pair of sunglasses on, pair of shorts and flip flops and he is just walking round the track with his phone at his ear.

"I think I shouted over 'Russell, any chance of you doing a bit?'

"He just calmly takes the phone away from his ear, and shouts back 'Listen, yous carry the piano, I'll play it'.

"We all just laughed and thought 'aye, fair play'.”

67D401F9-97F5-4EC9-8E0C-568397E09E8B.jpeg.7847008ce7020f814978d63a574b6e16.jpeg

I wish some of the fcuking shite managers (Rae, Stubbs, Murray, Craig, etc,) my team have had down the years had signed a Latapy type of player. Guy was fcuking tremendous.

C3DFACF7-D56A-47F6-A4E0-99FE6340749F.jpeg.690d58354e85dfbc2b09a280f881e7c4.jpeg

Hughes is a throwback to the old style of manager that we were used to in Scotland. 

But kudos to him for getting some of the best out of Latapy. 

On 13/07/2023 at 20:53, diegomarahenry said:

Was there not a manager, 10-20 years ago, maybe Morton or QOTS that got sacked for bullying. He’d been using homophobic language regularly while making players run about in the scud as a punishment 

Unsure if this is what you're recalling, but my best guess is you're thinking of John McCormack's sacking as assistant manager at Hamilton for gross misconduct for misogyny, sexual harassment and bullying. He took them to an employment tribunal for unfair dismissal and won, but also made himself unemployable with the court concluding that everything the other witnesses said was true and McCormack not disputing the misogyny himself but playing it off as just a laugh.

There are some quite staggering details in here:

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=bfb386a6-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

Edited by Dunning1874

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Unsure if this is what you're recalling, but my best guess is you're thinking of John McCormack's sacking as assistant manager at Hamilton for gross misconduct for misogyny, sexual harassment and bullying. He took them to an employment tribunal for unfair dismissal and won, but also made himself unemployable with the court concluding that everything the other witnesses said was true and McCormack not disputing the misogyny himself but playing it off as just a laugh.

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=bfb386a6-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

I might be merging the McCormack and McVeigh sackings in to one in my head. 

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

That’s one hell of a read. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

That’s one hell of a read. 

It really is.  Bloody Hell.

Obviously, Hamilton made an arse of his whole contract situation, as well as their processes, and it wound up costing them.

McCormack's behaviour, however, was staggering.  We're not looking back to the 1970s and we're not looking at the conduct of an elderly man.  It's staggering that he thought his actions, particularly those with regard to the young physio, could be regarded as remotely acceptable in any work context.

I've only really got a fairly vague awareness of McCormack.  I remember him as a St Mirren player when I was a kid.  I also dimly recall him in charge at Dundee and at Morton.  

None of those misty recollections have him down as a thick, boorish nutter though.  Was he famously one, as all of that Hamilton episode would suggest?

I only remember him as Dundee and Morton manager, maybe involved at QP too.

He certainly struck me as one of those "guid fitba man" types, and the revelations were not surprising.

The fact Accies could have such relatively experienced businessmen in charge and have no written record whatsoever of any of this was what I found jawdropping. I hope the young physio got herself a good position elsewhere afterwards.

On 14/07/2023 at 23:08, tamthebam said:

Well, he is a Hibs fan .. "taught the Brazilians how to play" etc 

hey don't blame us for that unintelligible lunatic.

9 hours ago, Molotov said:

As a positive slant Yogi did track down a 34 year old Russell Latapy on a Portuguese beach to sign for Falkirk who was absolutely vital to the resurgence of that team. Latapy played over 180 games for Falkirk in a 6 season spell. I believe he played more games for Falkirk than he did for United, Hibs and Rangers combined. I think many Falkirk fans rate him one of the greatest ever signings.

“…..Hughes said his favourite Latapy moment came during a pre-season training session after he helped the club storm the First Division in the 98/99 campaign.

"We were in pre-season at Stirling University, it was a hot day and we were running round the track in groups of about four or five," Yogi recalled.

"We're running round, these 200-metre sprints, pouring with sweat, I remember one of the boys looks up and there's Russell at the back of the line.

Latapy is shirtless, pair of sunglasses on, pair of shorts and flip flops and he is just walking round the track with his phone at his ear.

"I think I shouted over 'Russell, any chance of you doing a bit?'

"He just calmly takes the phone away from his ear, and shouts back 'Listen, yous carry the piano, I'll play it'.

"We all just laughed and thought 'aye, fair play'.”

67D401F9-97F5-4EC9-8E0C-568397E09E8B.jpeg.7847008ce7020f814978d63a574b6e16.jpeg

I wish some of the fcuking shite managers (Rae, Stubbs, Murray, Craig, etc,) my team have had down the years had signed a Latapy type of player. Guy was fcuking tremendous.

C3DFACF7-D56A-47F6-A4E0-99FE6340749F.jpeg.690d58354e85dfbc2b09a280f881e7c4.jpeg

Hughes is a throwback to the old style of manager that we were used to in Scotland. 

But kudos to him for getting some of the best out of Latapy. 

Still one of the best goals I've ever seen. 

Was delighted when Dunfermline appointed him in 2021 because Ayr were already starting to look very shite and the Hughes appointment had Raith 16/17 written all over it. Just couldn't see him being the one to turn it round for them.

They then won the first 2 games with him in charge (including pumping us 3-0) and I started to worry he had somehow found some managerial ability from nowhere and they would propel themselves up the table.

It wasn't to be. His biggest managerial masterstroke was to pay a fee for Joe "guid honest laddie" Chalmers, who was a key component in the downfall. 

Think he arrived in November, we gave the Pars 7 points in the 3 games between the sides that he was in charge for that season, and they still finished 4 points behind David Hopkin's squad of charlatans. Yogi eh, some manager.

He also seems to be an egotistical, lying wee scrote.

22 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

The sad thing is, there are probably still hundreds of McCormacks behaving like that within all levels of Scottish football.