The bombing of Yogi Hughes career

5 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Its a persona he likes to play up but he does it in such a billy big baws bullying way that its incredibly high risk if the squad would respond to it,   maybe in the past it worked better when it was treated like the manager was the one in charge and could do whatever the f**k they wanted but now thankfully players have largely learned that they do have rights as an employee and as a person to be treated with respect and I don't think he likes that at all.   

I think him coming in is more likely to demotivate a squad or at least large portions of it when they notice he's a p***k and won't dance to his tune.

That and his pathetic attempts to pretend he's one of the boys with his shitty dad jokes would have me absolutely dreading coming into work and your certainly not going above and beyond for him.

Was there not a manager, 10-20 years ago, maybe Morton or QOTS that got sacked for bullying. He’d been using homophobic language regularly while making players run about in the scud as a punishment 

14 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Was there not a manager, 10-20 years ago, maybe Morton or QOTS that got sacked for bullying. He’d been using homophobic language regularly while making players run about in the scud as a punishment 

Are you maybe thinking of John McVeigh? He left Raith after accusations of bullying. He went on to manage a few clubs after that mind you.

28 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I can’t remember who the manager was, but I’m sure it was Ryan O’Leary that had come forward about being bullied for having depression. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is it, really.

And why I think Callum Davidson needs to choose his next job wisely, as hes remarkably similar to Hughes as a manager in terms of repeatedly doing things that dont work + savaging a squad long term by spending a fortune on shit.

Yeah, I guess it shows how dangerous it is to judge a manager when they haven't had a transfer window, either way. 

43 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I can’t remember who the manager was, but I’m sure it was Ryan O’Leary that had come forward about being bullied for having depression. 

Yeah, I'm sure it was Jimmy Calderwood.

6 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Can’t have a thread about Yogi Hughes without mentioning this masterpiece:

He was so concerned for the team that day, he never got off his fucking arse to organise or shout orders to the players, fucking charlatan who only came for the cash.

He rose at Falkirk and peaked at Falkirk. Had he left a season earlier be would be remembered more fondly. That last season, he lost the plot a bit and brought in shite. He was on the decline when he left. Aside from his spell at ICT he hasn't really set anywhere alight since. 

Long story short, he got Falkirk promoted and Dunfermline relegated. Legend. 

13 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

He was so concerned for the team that day, he never got off his fucking arse to organise or shout orders to the players, fucking charlatan who only came for the cash.

They did win the next game at home to Ayr United following this interview to be fair to him although ultimately were relegated. I've always liked Yogi, seems to have a good heart, sort of old fashioned but probably a decent guy.  

You've made me feel auld because I can remember him playing for Newtongrange Star (in the same team as John Coughlin..)

Perhaps he can't get a job because he's 58 which is likely seen as ancient by boards who want younger managers. There's not many older managers in work in Scotland - Jim Duffy is the one example I can think of off the top of my head and he's only in work because Clyde are a mess 

5 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Poor decision making.  He can clearly build a good team but going in to fire-fight doesn't suit him.

Should never had went to Raith/Hartlepool/Dunfermline. 

Would rather have him than Johnson anyday.  Bit old school and not enough buzz words for the boards these days though. 

Hopefully you'll get your wish! 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

He rose at Falkirk and peaked at Falkirk. Had he left a season earlier be would be remembered more fondly. That last season, he lost the plot a bit and brought in shite. He was on the decline when he left. Aside from his spell at ICT he hasn't really set anywhere alight since. 

Long story short, he got Falkirk promoted and Dunfermline relegated. Legend. 

The world works in mysterious ways, if he hadn't relegated us then Falkirk might have won the league. As it is they got scudded in the playoffs by Airdrie. 

Alls well that ends well. 

There were a few accounts of Hughes coming out of Dunfermline after the relegation, a horrible bloke by all accounts. 

49 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

You've made me feel auld because I can remember him playing for Newtongrange Star (in the same team as John Coughlin..)

Perhaps he can't get a job because he's 58 which is likely seen as ancient by boards who want younger managers. There's not many older managers in work in Scotland - Jim Duffy is the one example I can think of off the top of my head and he's only in work because Clyde are a mess 

I suppose everyone gets to an age where clubs can see what they're likely to get, and if it's mediocrity they're as well to gamble with a younger guy in case they turn out to be hot shit. They'll also be more likely to connect with the young men playing for them than a codger who moans about the youth not working hard enough, and how you'd never get away with that in their day. That's nursing home chat; I don't even know why Hughes still wants a coaching job if that's how he feels.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The Campbells?  John McGlynn? Until recently, Ian McCall?

10 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I think there was a Clyde manager as well who got sacked for using racist language.

Mind when he got the groundsman at Raith to do the team talk?

Raith were then relegated in the playoffs by Brechin, the same Brechin who then went on to amass 4 whole points in the Championship.

I mind a video when he was at East End of an interview with him. He was talking when he noticed the groundsman mowing the pitch and turned round to give out some 'patter'. It came across like the groundsman was cringing inside and trying his best to ignore Hughes, but Hughes kept shouting to get his attention.

The best thing about his spell was a large number of the crowd asking him to please resign after Queen's Park relegated us at East End.