The bombing of Yogi Hughes career

13 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

BTW when do you think the Hughes Bombing occurred?

He came back from his Raith relegation with a good job at County but his Dunfermline relegation might've fucked it for him now.

57 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye that's it basically.  Takes someone else's squad and just keeps it going.  Like with Terry Butcher's The Caley team.  Only something like 3 players in the squad the day we won the cup were Hughes signings.  One of which being the returning Greg Tansey, who Butcher originally signed in 2011.

If he's tasked with building a squad, he's probably one of the worst in Scottish football history at doing it.

Liam Horner, Nat Wedderburn, Liam Hughes, Ryan Williams and the worst of all…Dani Lopez. All absolute dugshite. 

He must be a really good coach tbf because all the cup winning squad say he improved them massively he just can’t spot a player to fucking save himself. 

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

When he was at Inverness he was repeatedly calling Tannadice after they offered him an interview/chat when the managers job was available.

Apparently upto 5 times a day.

He threw a massive tantrum when we refused to let Dundee United talk to him and apparently he refused to take training for several days. 

3 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Liam Horner, Nat Wedderburn, Liam Hughes, Ryan Williams and the worst of all…Dani Lopez. All absolute dugshite. 

He must be a really good coach tbf because all the cup winning squad say he improved them massively he just can’t spot a player to fucking save himself. 

Mutumbo, Sho-silva, Kink and Sekajja were absolutely stinking as well. The only player who came in under him who did well was Storey and he was identified by the chairman allegedly :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Dani Lopez still gives me nightmares. One of the worst signings we have ever made.

2 minutes ago, RiG said:

He threw a massive tantrum when we refused to let Dundee United talk to him and apparently he refused to take training for several days. 

Mutumbo, Sho-silva, Kink and Sekajja were absolutely stinking as well. The only player who came in under him who did well was Storey and he was identified by the chairman allegedly :lol: 

Christ there’s more than I can remember :lol: I only really remember Mutombo doing two things in a Caley shirt: Trying to cut Nick Ross in half at Dens Park with some sort of scissor tackle and scoring against Hibs in the Scottish cup 

Don’t think I ever seen Sho-Silva, Kink or Sekajja play

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Dani Lopez still gives me nightmares. One of the worst signings we have ever made.

Didn’t he get emptied for spitting at a St Johnstone youth player or something? He was pretty guff regardless

7 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Didn’t he get emptied for spitting at a St Johnstone youth player or something? He was pretty guff regardless

Yeap, that is exactly what happened. I was at one of the friendlies that he was a trialist in and he literally tripped over the ball when trying to run down the wing.

I can't believe he was signed, Never mind being our starting striker for the European games. 

Edited by PB1994

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Dylan Easton too. I hated his short spell at Livi. You were just waiting for him to fall out with the next player. He must've been going through a mid-life crisis at the time or something.

There was obv history between him and Deuchar, maybe from Falkirk times, as Kenny tweeted that'll be his last game for Livi then, when Hughes was announced as our manager.

At Livi he hated flair players, that would dribble past opposition players and run with the ball, Bobby Barr and Dylan Easton both did that. He shackled Scougall though, moving him back to a DM, to bring the ball out of defence, because none of our CB's were capable of doing so, without losing the ball and ending with us conceding goals. Dunfermline away was the last straw for our fans, where Pars strikers stayed up the pitch waiting on our keeper rolling the ball out to a CB, then pressing them and winning possession, knocking 4 goals in against us. If our keeper hadn't kept on rolling the ball out, even when it was so obvious we'd get pressed and mugged every time, Hughes would've sent him to Coventry (or East Fife on loan, as he did Barr).

Bobby Barr's crime was to take players on and score 2 goals against Falkirk in an away game, which we won, he ignored Barr running over to celebrate his goal, and looked raging at him, Barr said he got told not to bother coming in for training, he was done at Livi. Ostracized for running with the ball, and not playing tippy tappy football.

Came across as a big galoot that would bully his players, and punt any that stood up to him.

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Guys a c**t and a shite manager.

Too many stories about is treatment of players he’s taken a dislike to for the ‘he’s a decent bloke’ stuff to hold any truth.

Yeah, that's probably fair.

Reading this thread, there's more evidence of him bullying people than I'd appreciated.

Only thing that I find odd about Hughes no being able to land a job is that Scottish fitba is full of totally unremarkable journeymen players and managers who manage to do the rounds and keep it going for eons, getting job after job despite doing nothing of note anywhere and probably having far more failures than successes, so why Hughes appears to be the exception to the norm i'm not sure. Perhaps he just comes across terribly in interviews and gives potential employers cold feet or something.

Poor decision making.  He can clearly build a good team but going in to fire-fight doesn't suit him.

Should never had went to Raith/Hartlepool/Dunfermline. 

Would rather have him than Johnson anyday.  Bit old school and not enough buzz words for the boards these days though. 

7 hours ago, GAD said:

I always though Hughes was one of those guys who was a great appointment when he was coming into a team that was already in a good position, doing well and had maybe lost their previous manager because of that. Bring in Yogi to tell them how great they are and keep the good feeling rolling, like at Falkirk and ICT. He isn't really suited to coming into a crisis.

This is it, really.

And why I think Callum Davidson needs to choose his next job wisely, as hes remarkably similar to Hughes as a manager in terms of repeatedly doing things that dont work + savaging a squad long term by spending a fortune on shit.

16 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Only thing that I find odd about Hughes no being able to land a job is that Scottish fitba is full of totally unremarkable journeymen players and managers who manage to do the rounds and keep it going for eons, getting job after job despite doing nothing of note anywhere and probably having far more failures than successes, so why Hughes appears to be the exception to the norm i'm not sure. Perhaps he just comes across terribly in interviews and gives potential employers cold feet or something.

He's been out for a year,  having been one of those journeymen who dive around jobs simply by having a known name.

The biggest reason he hasn't got a job yet is because the jobs he would have a chance of getting are not the jobs his ego thinks are suitable for him, and apart for his media stint he doesn't clearly doesn't have enough mates in the game to be given the coaching/assistant/scout roles that get handed out as a way of keeping everyone ticking over.  Rice offering him something at alloa is possible i guess, but again being a coach at PT level isn't where his ego will have him.

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

He's been out for a year,  having been one of those journeymen who dive around jobs simply by having a known name.

The biggest reason he hasn't got a job yet is because the jobs he would have a chance of getting are not the jobs his ego thinks are suitable for him, and apart for his media stint he doesn't clearly doesn't have enough mates in the game to be given the coaching/assistant/scout roles that get handed out as a way of keeping everyone ticking over.  Rice offering him something at alloa is possible i guess, but again being a coach at PT level isn't where his ego will have him.

Rice isn't that daft. All that group of peers like Coyle, Stewart, McCall etc like him well enough as a pal, no-one wants to work with him though.

TBH I was quite chuffed when he was appointed Raith manager, a lot happier when he was emptied and deliriously happy when the pars took him on.

A complete tosser and the only person who thinks he's still capable of managing a top flight side.

Hughes always gets touted when a managerless club has been called gutless. Yogi is the type of manager that will fire them up etc

He seemed to do ok but there was always something about the way he left clubs that was odd. Like Kevin Thompson, Jim McIntyre & Owen Coyle. 

His time at Raith was mental, he gave an interview that was completely unhinged towards the end of the season. 

His record was decent and there were a few Ayr fans wanted him when Duffy left, me included, he had won cups, played for the club and we were as soft as puppy shit.

He went to Dunfermline, signed Joe Chalmers from us and dropped them in to league one. 

Goal player john hughes GIF - Find on GIFER

23 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Hughes always gets touted when a managerless club has been called gutless. Yogi is the type of manager that will fire them up etc

Its a persona he likes to play up but he does it in such a billy big baws bullying way that its incredibly high risk if the squad would respond to it,   maybe in the past it worked better when it was treated like the manager was the one in charge and could do whatever the f**k they wanted but now thankfully players have largely learned that they do have rights as an employee and as a person to be treated with respect and I don't think he likes that at all.   

I think him coming in is more likely to demotivate a squad or at least large portions of it when they notice he's a p***k and won't dance to his tune.

That and his pathetic attempts to pretend he's one of the boys with his shitty dad jokes would have me absolutely dreading coming into work and your certainly not going above and beyond for him.

Edited by parsforlife