The bombing of Yogi Hughes career

A guy who is neither interesting enough or talented enough to merit his own unique nickname but instead steals one from a Celtic '60's legend of the same name is doomed from the start.  And being more famous for getting his cock out on national TV than anything he's done on a football pitch or dugout isn't a great recommendation either. 

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He’s a very nice man but not as good a coach as he thinks he is.   That would be my answer.  

I always describe Yogi as being a lot smarter than most people think he is, just not as smart as he himself thinks he is.

Reading some of the statements on this thread which, if only half true, would suggest that Hughes is too old school for the modern game and therefore practically unemployable. 

He could perhaps earn a gig as a younger manager's assistant but would his ego allow that to happen?

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Depends if you're Kenny Deuchar or Bobby Barr i guess, but as a football fan, i was never as relieved when he fucked off to Hartlepool, complete imbecile of a man. 

Dylan Easton too. I hated his short spell at Livi. You were just waiting for him to fall out with the next player. He must've been going through a mid-life crisis at the time or something.

On the face of it, what he achieved at Inverness was very impressive, and it was relatively recent.

His CV has, however, been comprehensively buggered up in various places since.

He's probably a decent enough bloke in an old school way, but I think he's pretty thick.

Maybe a manager who would do better with a partner to fill in for the areas he's not so strong in, like Brian Clough.

Whoa, I just compared John Hughes to Brian Clough  :blink:

3 hours ago, GAD said:

I always though Hughes was one of those guys who was a great appointment when he was coming into a team that was already in a good position, doing well and had maybe lost their previous manager because of that. Bring in Yogi to tell them how great they are and keep the good feeling rolling, like at Falkirk and ICT. He isn't really suited to coming into a crisis.

Aye that's it basically.  Takes someone else's squad and just keeps it going.  Like with Terry Butcher's The Caley team.  Only something like 3 players in the squad the day we won the cup were Hughes signings.  One of which being the returning Greg Tansey, who Butcher originally signed in 2011.

If he's tasked with building a squad, he's probably one of the worst in Scottish football history at doing it.

I feel there are two things at work here. His not overly stellar recent managerial stints, and a level of intellectual snobbery. He's sadly become a parody of himself and I don't really see him getting another gig unless it's a big Sam-esque, "here's 2 months, save us from relegation" situation.

39 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

A bit like Jim Jeffries, with the number of great players from down south he brought to Falkirk, good times.

Made an error of bringing in old done-pros when the board game him money to push on

He did the same at The Caley, except with shite foreigners and the terrible Nat Wedderburn.

22 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Dylan Easton too. I hated his short spell at Livi. You were just waiting for him to fall out with the next player. He must've been going through a mid-life crisis at the time or something.

I was having a "debate" with someone a while back who likes him and they pointed to the fact that his record at Livi wasn't even bad; 12W 5D 10L. Was genuinely infuriating trying to get across that we had a really good squad in 2012 - Marc McNulty, Stefan Scougall, the two good Jacobs brothers, Callum Booth, Iain Russell, etc. - who probably should have done better than we did.

The football was a dreadful watch, my mind always goes to the 4-0 thumping at East End Park where the highlights video is a solid 5 minutes of chances from a Livi defender passing it to a Dunfermline attacker.

On top of that, his man management was dreadful, I'm pretty sure Bobby Barr telling him to shut the f**k up got a decent cheer from the crowd as well.

12 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

I was having a "debate" with someone a while back who likes him and they pointed to the fact that his record at Livi wasn't even bad; 12W 5D 10L. Was genuinely infuriating trying to get across that we had a really good squad in 2012 - Marc McNulty, Stefan Scougall, the two good Jacobs brothers, Callum Booth, Iain Russell, etc. - who probably should have done better than we did.

The football was a dreadful watch, my mind always goes to the 4-0 thumping at East End Park where the highlights video is a solid 5 minutes of chances from a Livi defender passing it to a Dunfermline attacker.

On top of that, his man management was dreadful, I'm pretty sure Bobby Barr telling him to shut the f**k up got a decent cheer from the crowd as well.

Hughes' immediate successor, Gareth Evans, did much better with that same squad.

Hughes felt he was dropping beneath his true level in comin to Livi, he was just using the club to keep his profile up in the meantime until his next "proper" job. I think due to that he was experimenting at us and tried to enforce a ridiculously unpractical style of football. It was at the time when Barca and Spain were dominant and there was this stupid idea among the British football chatterati that those teams kept possession just by passing alone. Except they didn't, Iniesta et al regularly dribbled past opponents to keep possession too. So Hughes went fucking apeshit any time a player dribbled. That's why he clashed with Barr and Easton in particular. It's also why, as you mention, those stupid passes were being made by our defenders straight to opponents. As soon as they got the ball they had this fucking howler monkey on the sidelines yelling at them to pass so they were constantly trying to force passes that weren't on.