Glasgow United, you know who, and GCC

10 minutes ago, Pareidolia said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10990569/david-goodwillie-glasgow-united-losing-ground-signing-rapist/

Given North Lanarkshire Council's response to Clyde you'd think Glasgow United might be asking themselves why they decided to wade in to this saga...

Clearly aren't

A Glasgow United spokesman said: “If Glasgow City Council wish to ban us from training there so be it.

“Keep the threats coming.”

As a father of a young man playing in Div 3. I do not want him to be put in a position where at the end of the game he will be expected to shake this persons hand.

From what I can ascertain this person has not accepted any responsibility for his reported actions or offered any remorse to the girl. 

The WOSFL has a responsibility to all the players and staff of its member clubs to allow them to play in a safe environment. A number of clubs more pertinently have female physios who have a right to expect to work in a comfortable environment.

If this person has not taken responsibilities for his actions and not undertaken any counselling then he deserves to be ostracised.

As a parent of both boys and girls if this person is still at GU I will be instructing my son not to make himself available to play against GU.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

Really curious to know what the WoSFL are going to do about all this. Surely they're not just going to sit on their hands and let it all play out. 

Have they made any kind of statement?

Edited by jimbaxters

Someone will be along soon to cry hypocrisy because something something something Clyde and the SNP. 

He's a scumbag. If Shettleston think it's worth inviting the notoriety and backlash that this will bring them because he's a good footballer then that's their call. 

Other wrong UN's will have played in divisions governed by this football administration so it can be reasonably argued that this guy should be able to as well. 

I just hope it blows up spectacularly for him and any club that employ him. 

9 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Someone will be along soon to cry hypocrisy because something something something Clyde and the SNP. 

He's a scumbag. If Shettleston think it's worth inviting the notoriety and backlash that this will bring them because he's a good footballer then that's their call. 

Other wrong UN's will have played in divisions governed by this football administration so it can be reasonably argued that this guy should be able to as well. 

I just hope it blows up spectacularly for him and any club that employ him. 

Given that this is one of their coaches, then they obviously don't give a f**k.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/football-coach-gets-20-months-21697828

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Clearly aren't

A Glasgow United spokesman said: “If Glasgow City Council wish to ban us from training there so be it.

“Keep the threats coming.”

Aye, strange turn of phrase.

25 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

A excellent and well structured statement. 

Sorry to bring you into this @Kennie and @glensmad You are the only guys I am aware of who have any involvement with the WOSFL. 

Ms. Aitken has put it succinctly. We all as a society are burdened by the responsibility to show to all that their safety and wellbeing usurps any right a perpetrator of such violence has to second chances. The ongoing impact such an act has on the victim never diminishes. They live with it 24 hours every day.

The WOSFL needs to take ownership and responsibility of this.

10 minutes ago, Marooneye said:

Good statement.  Shettleston committee and mgmnt team are morally bankrupt and clearly reprehensible individuals.

While I find it shocking that any football team even considers signing Goodwillie, I am in disagreement about GCC putting this out. They could have just contacted the club without the need to it being made public.

GCC are poorly run, the city has deteriorated so much over the last decade, lack of re development compared to so many other working class cities around the U.K. 

I also have the unfortunate experience of the leader being my local councillor and the ineptness when dealing with issues raised. 

This feels like the statement put out for ‘likes’ to divert attention from all the other failings.

2 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Unless David Goodwillie wants to sign for a club in Belarus or Transnistria he has to accept his football career is over. Does feel like Groundhog Day now.

I doubt he'd get a game in Belarus either.

48 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Why the silence from WOSFL?

Realistically what could the league come out and say about something like this? I wouldn’t know anything about their registration rules and policies etc but is there likely to be anything in there to actually prevent a club signing him if they wanted to? 

Ultimately any club that does sign him will have to deal with the deserved backlash that comes from it but I’m not sure any league would have grounds to reject the registration.

3 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

As a father of a young man playing in Div 3. I do not want him to be put in a position where at the end of the game he will be expected to shake this persons hand.

From what I can ascertain this person has not accepted any responsibility for his reported actions or offered any remorse to the girl. 

The WOSFL has a responsibility to all the players and staff of its member clubs to allow them to play in a safe environment. A number of clubs more pertinently have female physios who have a right to expect to work in a comfortable environment.

If this person has not taken responsibilities for his actions and not undertaken any counselling then he deserves to be ostracised.

As a parent of both boys and girls if this person is still at GU I will be instructing my son not to make himself available to play against GU.

And what if your son (correctly) tells you to ram it?

8 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Realistically what could the league come out and say about something like this? I wouldn’t know anything about their registration rules and policies etc but is there likely to be anything in there to actually prevent a club signing him if they wanted to? 

Ultimately any club that does sign him will have to deal with the deserved backlash that comes from it but I’m not sure any league would have grounds to reject the registration.

That's why I brought it up, to ask if there is anything in constitution regarding fit and proper person pertaining to players?

Do the league have the authority to reject a player registration on these grounds?