Arbroath v Dundee United - Friday 4th August 2023

So the league campaign kicks off in six days.  I think we’ve sold 2,000 plus tickets.

Assuming Holt’s injury is not to bad I can see the starting XI being the same as today.  Hopefully Middleton carries on where he left off at Carlisle and Cudjoe learns that it’s not always best to take that extra touch.

No idea what to expect from Arbroath.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No idea what to expect from Arbroath.

Neither do we!!!

I think starting 11 on paper when all fit is good but our defence has been all over the place so far due to injuries, we started against Forfar with 1 defender in the 16 man squad…. Likely to have a new signing starting for the first time too at the back come Friday.

Still have concerns over being a bit of a soft touch in midfield we really lack physicality and someone to stick the boot in in there.

Tam O’Brien missing today so if he is back and if we can get a fully fit team out on the park I fancy us to do alright. 

United team looked good today though so will just have to wait and see

On one hand, I feel like we have a decent record against whatever Dundee team has shat the bed in any given season, their big club arrogance plays into our hands.

On the other hand, the league cup has been a sobering experience, all our defenders are broken and on fire, and we are not exactly going into the new season riding high...

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Yesterdays performance has given me some hope going into the league campaign. Hopefully TOB can return. I’d happily take a point 

I think if not then Stewart to right back - hopefully new player at left back 

Dow

Slater 

Balde

McKenna

Hylton

Bird 

ahead of them 

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think if not then Stewart to right back - hopefully new player at left back 

Dow

Slater 

Balde

McKenna

Hylton

Bird 

ahead of them 

Hopefully Goldy’s injury isn’t a bad one as well 

On 30/07/2023 at 12:14, Sarto Mutiny said:

Yesterday's performance sounded encouraging, although it's never a good idea to read too much into friendlies. It's always a tough game in Arbroath. 

The best aspect of the Carlisle game is that the starting XI looked like players who had played together for ages, anticipated each others movement and played to each others strengths; a real team performance.  Hopefully it’s not a one-off.

United nearly selling out their allocation - considering the circumstances (Friday night and on TV) that is very decent 

In a way this is a free hit for us - it’s going to be the hardest fixture out of the 9, first game of season and live on TV. Hope we just go for it and play an attacking side 

Balde

McKenna

Slater 

Hylton

Dow

Bird

4-5-1 without ball - 4-3-3 with and McKenna supporting from midfield 

Two teams who had an absolutely shocking cup run and now facing each another on the opening day ( both with good wins in their final pre-season games).

I like the look of United and would expect their fringe players to break through this season - Cudjoe, Middleton, Glass, Meekson and Fotheringham are looking like serious contenders.

But Arbroath have recruited well this season and expect Gayfield to be a hard place for away teams to leave with full points.

I'd take a draw if it's on offer - expect United to win the league and they might prove to be too much for Arbroath, but would also not be surprised if Arbroath sneak a win.

Score prediction 2-2.

I think everyone is expecting a bit of a shitfest, including me. 

However, we seem to be showing some glimpses of form so there's a small chance we could surprise everyone and cruise to a 3/4 goal win.

I'll be betting on the former.