Partick Thistle Vs Raith Rovers

Just now, Raith Against The Machine said:

I didn't know quite what to make of that. It didn't help that I was directly behind it so difficult to judge the angles, but Hamilton obviously won the header cleanly before Williams (if I remember rightly) crashed into him. The kind of incident that, in the centre circle, the ref gives as a freekick without even thinking. 

Yeah Williams was miles away from the ball, it was dangerous and obvious contact to the head. I suppose the only counter argument is that he got his header away unimpeded and you see similar with sliding challenges after a player has shot but was a penalty for me. 

28 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Yeah Williams was miles away from the ball, it was dangerous and obvious contact to the head. I suppose the only counter argument is that he got his header away unimpeded and you see similar with sliding challenges after a player has shot but was a penalty for me. 

He looked a bomb scare all game tbh,

3 minutes ago, Diamond. Dave said:

A "clapped out" Old Firm player like Mulgrew would still be better than half the players we have at the moment. Having a prejudice against signing former Old Firm players is irrational and silly. Many of them have done well for us in the past. Are players meant to just forget the times they had at their old club of many years and tell their mates they made to F off? Regardless of if it's a Celtic charity event or David Mitchell at a Stranraer charity event? 

When you look back to the days of guys like the Hansens, Donald Park, Rough and Somner and compare it to some of the plonkers we have now it's impossible to describe some of these current players we've got as good. 

Regards the quality of players previously at Thistle and now, you can say that about every Scottish club.

9 minutes ago, Diamond. Dave said:

A "clapped out" Old Firm player like Mulgrew would still be better than half the players we have at the moment. Having a prejudice against signing former Old Firm players is irrational and silly. Many of them have done well for us in the past. Are players meant to just forget the times they had at their old club of many years and tell their mates they made to F off? Regardless of if it's a Celtic charity event or David Mitchell at a Stranraer charity event? 

When you look back to the days of guys like the Hansens, Donald Park, Rough and Somner and compare it to some of the plonkers we have now it's impossible to describe some of these current players we've got as good. 

Many old firm players particularly loans have not done well for us though.

Mulgrew did absolutely nothing at dundee United last year on a high wage and was injury prone that should be taken into account more so than how well he played when he was at Celtic a large number of years ago, particularly given that he is going to be even older than when he was at United

Edited by third lanark

Just now, Diamond. Dave said:

We've signed various others this season who struggled last year and have a history of injury. Many much worse than Mulgrew. In any case it's up to Doolan to judge and I respect whatever his choice may be. Mulgrew may not even willing to accept what we would we offer him anyway.

I agree we have signed others who struggled last year and have a history of injury and I’m not convinced they should have been signed either 

1 hour ago, Diamond. Dave said:

Charlie Mulgrew is done, making the rest of your arse-cheek appeasement, redundant.

36 minutes ago, Pride of Fife said:

Left at 2-0, never knew score til on bus coming home! We were atrocious for the 85 mins I watched.

We have the makings of a good squad and good season but not if we can’t get somewhere close to our best team on the pitch.

Thistle didn’t look great but didn’t have to, we were all over the shop defensively and offered very little anywhere else..

as mentioned, will try to reserve judgement til we aren’t missing 7 or 8 regular starters

Screenshot_20230805-223431_Chrome.jpg

Vaughan is a frustrating one, because you know that he can put in performances where he runs the show. Sometimes, he'll maybe take a touch to many or be a bit greedy, but generally speaking he's worth it when it comes off. I'm keen to see if we change up the formation if we have returning bodies next weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Vaughan is a frustrating one, because you know that he can put in performances where he runs the show. Sometimes, he'll maybe take a touch to many or be a bit greedy, but generally speaking he's worth it when it comes off. I'm keen to see if we change up the formation if we have returning bodies next weekend. 

Lewis is annoying due to picking up yellow cards due to his constant back-chat to referees, if he can cut out this behaviour and concentrate on playing football that would be fine.

5 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Lewis is annoying due to picking up yellow cards due to his constant back-chat to referees, if he can cut out this behaviour and concentrate on playing football that would be fine.

The thing I've noticed is how often he'll not play to the whistle if he goes down from a tackle. Always looking to the referee. It's just in his nature to do it, but it's frustrating if it means we're then chasing things.

With all that said, there's an exceptionally limited number of players at this level who can offer what he does when he's on his game. The ironic thing is that he just needs to get as many games under his belt as possible. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

Firhill always a tough place to go, so picking a point, particularly in the way we did was most welcome. But I thought it was a wee bit bold and to a degree naive to still start with the 4132 formation against a more shall we say formidable opponent away from home. Stanton I really rate as a player, but he simply cannot play CDM, especially by himself. You could argue it would have been bold to have started Arnott as the CDM in front of the back four, with Vaughan dropping out of the starting eleven all together. But for these tricky away games, resorting to the 4231 should have been the call. Having an extra player sitting in front of the defence would have stopped Thistle playing the way they did, carving us open through the middle sometimes at will. One of those attackers that started the match could have easily dropped out for Arnott.

But I suppose you have to say fair play to Murray for continuing with it, and making the subs that he did that changed the game in our favour. Doolan on the other hand, basically admitted that his changes cost them in the end, tried to make them rigid 442 but ultimately backfired. 

Very frustrated again to see us pass up multiple clear goal scoring opportunities again though. Really lack that killer touch in the final third. 

But it’s the opening game, and a result I would have taken beforehand. Really have to look to get all three points next week though at home to Morton.