Partick Thistle Vs Raith Rovers

Can't believe the league season is starting so soon,after a disappointing end for Thistle a few weeks ago in D*ngw*ll. 

Rumours of Thistle's financial collapse seem to have been exaggerated so.ewhat. 

Kris Doolan has pooled a good squad together and a couple of additions expected early next week.

Raith Rovers (7) seem to have been more active on Twitter than with regards to their squad.

Made early additions but now seem to be concentrated on changing rooms and away strips.

We are at home, so will win, more than likely. Just as we will probably lose in the reverse fixture.

Won't be easy but I'll go for a 2 - 1 home win.

Feels like we're never away from Firhill, and with the notable exception of a Regan Hendry inspired Challenge Cup semi-final, it hasn't been a particularly happy hunting ground recently. 

We were absolutely terrible in our first visit to Firhill last season, and it signposted a lot of our weaknesses over the rest of the season. Hopefully it won't be the same this time. 

Really enjoying watching this Rovers team, and I'm sure we'll get some repeat of the swashbuckling attack that we've displayed so far. The introduction of Euan Murray and the reintroduction of Ross Millen would go a long way to addressing our defensive frailties, but neither are guaranteed. 

Any idea of what stand the Rovers fans will be in? Kinda hoping for the corner of the Jackie Husband as I wasn't keen on the old main stand last year. (Partially as someone threw a smoke bomb in amongst our own fans during a game last season.)

14 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Any idea of what stand the Rovers fans will be in? Kinda hoping for the corner of the Jackie Husband as I wasn't keen on the old main stand last year. (Partially as someone threw a smoke bomb in amongst our own fans during a game last season.)

I would expect that you'll be in the main stand.

We'll have some more new players in before then, and very hopefully at least McMillan back in the team so should be better than we were this and last week. I was expecting Rovers to be one of the leagues stronger teams this season, so this should be a good barometer of how good we actually are. 

Interesting to see how we do. I'd think Partick will carry more of a threat than the Pars did, and will have a better centre forward available than Killie. They've made some very useful additions this summer across the board. 

Now which one of you was the one who came into half our threads last season because we had the gall to say Scott Brown was one of our best players?

2 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

think clubs who tell us they expect at least 500 away fans get given the Main Stand instead of the end section of the JHS.

Raith feel like the team who will be roughly hovering around that number of away supporters, so whilst it could normally go either way, I’d say with it being a Saturday, “summer” weather and the first game of the league season, you’ll bring enough to be given the Main Stand.

11 hours ago, jagfox said:

Raith made early additions but now seem to be concentrated on changing rooms and away strips

Injuries not helping us at the moment. At Annan yesterday Brown, Miller, Connolly and Matthews were just along from me in the stand, all likely starters. Jamie Gullan and Ethan Ross as well both who, if fit, would be in contention. A couple may be back for next week. Add in Euan Murray and it is a strong squad when everyone available. We are playing well and creating chances but need to cut out giving away bad goals. 

Would anticipate Euan Murray will come in for Corr on Saturday. Corr has done fine and has a lot of the raw attributes to be a success (I wouldn’t actually be averse to us getting him on a longer deal now) but Murray, if fit, is a proven Championship centre half who will make less mistakes leading to goals.

Obviously if Scott Brown was fit we’d win by at least 3, but because he will miss out it will be a lottery. 

36 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Looking forward to a few pages of Rovers fans talking about fans bringing a union flag to games like we got for our visit at the end of last season.

image.thumb.png.96ba58af215dc413d8096eb5a1d7e62f.png

Aye, i'd like to think someone sets it on fire on the way to the game.

It's worth anyone either driving to the game or getting public transport via the city centre to check out the below link to make sure your usual route isn't impacted by the cycling world championships. The area directly around Firhill is largely unaffected but one of the race routes includes parts of Maryhill Road north of the stadium, a small bit of Great Western Road, Cleveden Road and Byres Road so traffic might be a bit mental elsewhere due to the road closures.

https://www.getreadyglasgow.com/cycling-worlds/traffic-and-travel

On 30/07/2023 at 09:05, Pie Of The Month said:

Looking forward to a few pages of Rovers fans talking about fans bringing a union flag to games like we got for our visit at the end of last season.

image.thumb.png.96ba58af215dc413d8096eb5a1d7e62f.png

If you see that butchers apron you have the permission of 99% of Rovers fans to steal it and set it on fire.

There was a discussion on Twitter about that flag where someone, rightly so, said it needs to be binned. Boy that owns the flag got involved saying he'll still be bringing it to games regardless of what folk think. Shite flag, get it in the sea.

A repeat of our last league opener against Partick Thistle would be nice…

Doesn’t sound like many of the injured players will be back and those that are will likely be well short of match sharpness. I would definitely have Euan Murray in for Corr but the manager will know best regarding how far off being ready he is. Would prefer Murray’s physicality and experience against Graham.

Jack Hamilton is still short of fitness but the best way to get that is through games and he will be our best bet for goals this season so I’d start him again. Have a feeling if Gullan is fit, Murray will bring him back in for Hamilton though. Callum Smith looking much improved the last couple of games makes the attacking decisions harder than they looked a couple of weeks ago as I thought he’d be the obvious one to drop out but it’s a good problem to have.

We’ve been decent in the League Cup and our best performance was in our most difficult game which should give us some confidence. Still a little concerned about our potential to be open in the middle of the park given the formation, albeit it worked well sitting behind the ball and looking to hit on the counter quickly with numbers as we did at Killie and I’d imagine we’ll try similar tactics here.

I’ll go 2-1 Partick, Brian Graham opening the scoring.