Partick Thistle Vs Raith Rovers

Tremendously enjoyable first half, never got to the same levels in the second but still seemed in control of everything until the subs and should’ve added to the lead. Positive signs but a few things Doolan needs to learn from. 

Edited by JagsCG

Listening to Raith TV and it sounds like we got off at both ends. Based off what was said, we missed some very clear chances, but that Thistle had done well taking theirs while also missing some sitters. That's Mitchell's first goal at this level which is excellent. It'll do wonders for his confidence and shows he's an option to come on. Very happy for Ethan Ross too - I don't think anyone really foresaw him coming back into the team and he's had a brutal time with injuries over the last year. 

It's quite clear the formation isn't working as @renton touched on. We really need Millen back in the squad to have a natural right back, which would allow Scott McGill to move into a holding role. It might be that McGill drops out completely when Scott Brown is back. Either way, I'd hope we move back to a 4-2-3-1 and drop off one of the more attacking players. There'll be some tough choices, but ultimately the team needs to come first and they can't all play without us losing the plot defensively. 

I suspect that a lot of teams will go to Firhill and find themselves under the cosh, struggling to get points on board there. They've recruited very well, which in all honesty is quite funny given the number of people lining up to celebrate their demise in the summer. A very good point given the circumstances. 

Coasting and in control for most of game .Seemed to lose our shape at back after MacMillan went off and were badly exposed on the right.Just can't see a game out with needless lost possession in out own half leading to both goals.Fisrt goal summed it up ,Raith player lost his balance in box but was still afforded time and space for two more touches before slotting it home .Ach well,entertaining game and early days yet .

1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

A timely reminder for some that games last 90 minutes, not 45.

Tell that to all the pished breeks on the last couple of pages…good Lord!

Oh, yea, let’s see Masson too…

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Woooooooft!

I was at the rugby, but that’s an amazing comeback. Wish I was there. We are the berries!

Mods! Please!

18 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Behave.

Shut it eggby 🤣

Post match boozer actually giving away match programmes.

20230805_183423.thumb.jpg.c10b18986e75c1e73521b9a6315a12f2.jpg

Sacre bleu!

Edited by jagfox

That was a great game, despite being 2 down - kudos for Thistle exploiting Dick being off the pitch after a head knock for the second - we created chances.

Great to see Ross on and delivering for both goals, Vaughan was poor IMO again. But we do need a right back, most of the goals we’ve lost so far are from errors at Right Back.

Funny game that.

Thought we were woeful in the second and blag two late goals courtesy of both teams subs.

Going forward Millen back in, McGill drops out for Brown and Stanton has to play. 

Afraid to say with a fully fit squad Vaughan needs a spell on the bench.

43 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Doolan seems to recognise changing the shape backfired going from his post match comments. Hopefully he’ll learn from days like this.

Shame he didn't realise at the time.

That was an entertaining afternoon. I didn't think we were 2 goals worse than Thistle at h-t and they had a bit of luck with the break of the ball for the goals, and when Calum Smith hit the crossbar I thought it's just not our day move onto Morton next week, so the two late goals were as unexpected as they were welcome. Brilliant cameo from Ross and a cracking finish from Mitchell. Like a number of other posters I think Lewis needs a spell on the bench. It's like we're trying to shoehorn him into the team somehow and nowhere's working for him.

Referee was shocking. Reffed it like he had a tenner on Thistle to win. 

30 minutes ago, Diamond. Dave said:

Had half a dozen celtic fans tell me Mulgrew is signing for Thistle. Hardly reliable sources but don't see the issue if he takes an acceptable wage. Has accomplished more in the game than every player in that league has combined. Worth signing for his set pieces alone and some height on him. Williams and Neilson are hardly giants....  

We're not a vanity project for clapped out OF players anymore, hopefully. More interested in media events for their old team.

Edited by jagfox

12 minutes ago, Diamond. Dave said:

Had half a dozen celtic fans tell me Mulgrew is signing for Thistle. Hardly reliable sources but don't see the issue if he takes an acceptable wage. Has accomplished more in the game than every player in that league has combined. Worth signing for his set pieces alone and some height on him. Williams and Neilson are hardly giants....  

I’d say the issue is if he is fit enough at 37 and injury free.  These have to be concerns no matter how good a footballer he has been in the past and clearly of course he has been

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

That was a great game, despite being 2 down - kudos for Thistle exploiting Dick being off the pitch after a head knock for the second - we created chances.

To be fair that was as close as Dick got to Lawless all game. 

2-2 probably fair in the end given chances created but we should have had that in the bag. Thought the challenge on Hamilton was a clear penalty, you just don't often see such a late clash of heads. 

Causes for optimism from our point of view, but we clearly need another winger and cover at right back and centre back. Doolan hopefully learned from the change of shape, Dowds and Adeboye should never be on the pitch together defending a lead. 

8 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

To be fair that was as close as Dick got to Lawless all game. 

2-2 probably fair in the end given chances created but we should have had that in the bag. Thought the challenge on Hamilton was a clear penalty, you just don't often see such a late clash of heads. 

Causes for optimism from our point of view, but we clearly need another winger and cover at right back and centre back. Doolan hopefully learned from the change of shape, Dowds and Adeboye should never be on the pitch together defending a lead. 

I didn't know quite what to make of that. It didn't help that I was directly behind it so difficult to judge the angles, but Hamilton obviously won the header cleanly before Williams (if I remember rightly) crashed into him. The kind of incident that, in the centre circle, the ref gives as a freekick without even thinking.