Queens v Alloa

just woke up to this scoreline, i thought it would be too tough a task to get something today , but what a result 4 goals from our maligned strike force 

still think it will take time to be at our best so quite pleased ..

11 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Is it possible Bartley has signed defenders because they can play out from the back rather than because they can actually defend?

I don't even think the goals we conceded today were down to shite defending per se. McKay literally passing to his former teammate for the first, Todd playing a wonderful through ball for the second, Logan deciding to play the ball out under no pressure rather than try and find a player. The other one was of course shite defending though. Not one person attempting to put a foot in. 

It was just utterly shambolic all over today. Gifting goals at one end and looking completely useless at the other. Alloa should be fizzing they conceded 3 today. No surprise two were penalties. I don't expect Man City on the deck football but am happy to see them attempt it on the deck, what lets that system down is slow laboured passing that the opposition can deal with with minimal effort. So so easy to play against. If we're going with it on the deck it has to be a lot faster than that. 

As much as we gifted some goals today Alloa thoroughly deserved that. If we'd equalised with the FK it would have been daylight robbery. Rice clearly did his homework on us. 

After a howler from McKay it was safe to say we were fearing the worst but was an excellent reaction to going behind so early. The first half was utterly bizarre seeing as neither team was really bothering to defend and the players were slipping all over the place. Would assume it’s down to the pitch being brand new but was a bit of a farce at times in the first half.

Thought we looked a lot better defensively when we went to a back 4 in the second half, and if Queens had nicked a draw we would’ve felt pretty robbed as they did nothing second half (absolute joke of a penalty aside).

Rodden was magnificent in the first half, looked a completely different player to the Rodden from about last October onwards. Long may that continue, took both his goals really well. Kurtis Roberts was MOTM by some distance as well, absolutely fantastic and never stopped running. 

Plenty to improve on defensively going forward but an excellent 3 points to start the season after a poor cup campaign.

Tough tough watch, both defences were awful but think we just shaded it. Hard to currently see what McGuffie is going to bring to the team. One sided with no pace isn’t a great combo, he can’t play wide left as can’t run past anyone and he is as ineffectual on the right cutting in.

Badly need another striking option or two,  not knocking Gavin but nothing to bring off the bench isn’t great. 

Gibson and Walker made a difference when coming on but was too little too late unfortunately. 

Cochrane was back to the performances he stuck in for the majority of last season, constantly giving the ball away and towing that invisible caravan again. 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't even think the goals we conceded today were down to shite defending per se. McKay literally passing to his former teammate for the first, Todd playing a wonderful through ball for the second, Logan deciding to play the ball out under no pressure rather than try and find a player. The other one was of course shite defending though. Not one person attempting to put a foot in. 

It was just utterly shambolic all over today. Gifting goals at one end and looking completely useless at the other. Alloa should be fizzing they conceded 3 today. No surprise two were penalties. I don't expect Man City on the deck football but am happy to see them attempt it on the deck, what lets that system down is slow laboured passing that the opposition can deal with with minimal effort. So so easy to play against. If we're going with it on the deck it has to be a lot faster than that. 

As much as we gifted some goals today Alloa thoroughly deserved that. If we'd equalised with the FK it would have been daylight robbery. Rice clearly did his homework on us. 

With the quality of the passing on display at times today I think them attempting to quicken it up could be an even greater recipe for disaster. 

1 minute ago, Broony88 said:

With the quality of the passing on display at times today I think them attempting to quicken it up could be an even greater recipe for disaster. 

Aye that's true. Genuinely lost count how many times Logan lost the ball/just passed it straight out. Remarkable he stayed on. Dunno if MB didn't want to dent his confidence or if Houston picked up an injury but was surprised to see him return. 

Was apprehensive when I saw the lineup followed by a terrible start but what happened thereafter was most surprising and very enjoyable. Aided massively by QoS being surprisingly awful it must be said but fair play to Alloa, took the goals really well. Time will tell if Rodden can maintain form but he finished those very nicely and given how hard he always works it's nice to see him get a reward. Sammon's goal was excellent too. On the flipside we gifted goals despite QoS not really creating very much at all. Did think the second penalty was a very tough call. 

A lot to work on and we won't face such charitable opposition regularly (I'm sure QoS will improve massively too) but after the shambles of the League Cup that was a real tonic and gives us something to build on. 

Edited by Waspie

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

So some hints of optimism in the league cup games followed by a shambolic display in the opening league game after taking an early lead. 

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Merde 🙂

Hopefully we have Ambrose, Connelly, Gibson and Church starting from the off next week. Really don’t like the look of McGuffie so far and thought Todd, Logan and Mckay were awful. After a shambles of a first half I noticed a huge difference in McLelland when he had Ambrose beside him though.

Edited by QoS99

19 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Hopefully we have Ambrose, Connelly, Gibson and Church starting from the off next week. Really don’t like the look of McGuffie so far and thought Todd, Logan and Mckay were awful. After a shambles of a first half I noticed a huge difference in McLelland when he had Ambrose beside him though.

Difficult to disagree with this. McLelland certainly looked less bad with Ambrose in there.

Thought it was harsh on Houston to have been the one hooked at half time.

Highlight of the game was probably the guy who sits along from me who is undoubtedly the most negative guy I've ever heard at the football being called out by another fan and saying nothing after that. 

32 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Funnily enough I thought that was the best McGuffie had played. I don't particularly rate him though so make of that what you will. 

Surprised McLelland never told some of the crowd to do one today. Absolutely ridiculous some of the shouts in the second half. 

10 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Highlight of the game was probably the guy who sits along from me who is undoubtedly the most negative guy I've ever heard at the football being called out by another fan and saying nothing after that. 

New Stand? Never heard anything like that today but as I say above, some of the stuff today was ridiculous. I like a moan and will usually shout when I'm really frustrated but I've never and never will understand why 'fans' shout abuse at their own players. Can anyone who does please explain to me what good you think it does? 

31 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Yes, the new stand, nearer to the halfway line

That may be me that you heard telling the guy to give it a rest. I was sat two rows behind him and couldn't listen to him any longer. I know that he was wanting Queens to up their game but he wasn't helping the younger players whatsoever with his constant negativity.

I did feel a bit bad but lots of others must have been thinking the same thing because I got lots of thumbs up and appreciative nods.

26 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Funnily enough I thought that was the best McGuffie had played. I don't particularly rate him though so make of that what you will. 

Surprised McLelland never told some of the crowd to do one today. Absolutely ridiculous some of the shouts in the second half. 

New Stand? Never heard anything like that today but as I say above, some of the stuff today was ridiculous. I like a moan and will usually shout when I'm really frustrated but I've never and never will understand why 'fans' shout abuse at their own players. Can anyone who does please explain to me what good you think it does? 

I don’t know why I said “so far” regarding McGuffie as that’s the first game I’ve been too this season as I’ve been on holiday. If that’s the best he’s played that’s concerning to say the least. Botterrill was getting some stick on the terracing as well which I thought was a bit uncalled for.