Saudi Pro League

9 hours ago, Marten said:

German media is reporting that Saudi Arabia have asked UEFA to have teams from their league being allowed into the UEFA Champions League...

Sport1.de

All seems a bit vague, apparently a "wild-card" for one team for the 2024-25 tournament.

Speculation all based on a report from Calcio Finanza, and ties in time-wise with "Visit Saudi" becoming the sponsor of La Liga. 

22 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I see that "Ronaldo's Al Nassr" have now lost two out two so far this season.

Weren't they leading the title race last season until he showed up?

Meanwhile Messi is carrying his team to first trophy in their history.

So that settles any doubt who is better.

On 17/08/2023 at 12:35, Marten said:

German media is reporting that Saudi Arabia have asked UEFA to have teams from their league being allowed into the UEFA Champions League...

I wonder how large the accompanying brown envelopes Bitcoin transfers will be?

I trust the European clubs will tell UEFA to tell the Saudis to f**k off.

On 20/08/2023 at 12:07, Granny Danger said:

I wonder how large the accompanying brown envelopes Bitcoin transfers will be?

I trust the European clubs will tell UEFA to tell the Saudis to f**k off.

FFP wipes out the only advantage they might have on entering the Champions League. At any rate the league signs the players and they are assigned to clubs so how can they even square that up with FFP? Just wont happen.

They have a maximum of 7 foreign players in each team, they are mostly already full. Most of these guys will be there for a year or two, harvest the wages, return to europe and buy the clubs they might like to play for in semi-retirement. 

Saudi MNT are 54th in the world, sandwiched between ROI and Finland. Practically none of them play in higher leagues or ever have. The standard will be thus.

Edited by DUFC_

On 17/08/2023 at 22:12, Hauzen said:

UEFA have already kind of set a precedent haven't they with Qatar being in the Euro qualifier groups ahead of the World Cup. Could well see this happening. Shite if so.

This is not a precedent at all. Qatar weren't in the groups, they just agreed to let them play friendlies against the teams who had a free week.

On 15/08/2023 at 19:23, WATTOO said:

It's great to see. It's already having a hilarious effect on the English where they're just gazumping each other for silly money for mediocrity left right and centre.

Give it a couple of years when the Foreign markets ditch their Liverpool and Chelsea shirts for the Saudi Arabian equivalents and their house of cards will come tumbling down.

Sky already feeling the pinch of the pirate app and coupled with the cost of living issues I don't imagine many will be willing to pay £100+ p/m to watch American dross plus a couple of English fitba matches.

Hopefully the carnage which is sure to come will see reality return to the game but of course I wouldn't bet on it.....

This is it, the balloon has gone up, the bubble has burst...

Do you think the "foreign markets" are paying £80.00 for an EPL shirt from official sources?

On 02/08/2023 at 12:45, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

No matter what people think of the league, it has some of the best players in the world playing there and something will happen that will be interesting or worth talking/reading about.

How important is having one more thing worth talking or reading about to you?

There seems to be plenty of distractions/entertainment/interesting things out there for our consumption, no? 

I know it's takes a lot of energy to futilely push back against every single thing that envelops and distorts what little meaning and reality is left in our lives, but do you not see any value in at least ignoring and refusing to accept something as obviously rotten as this?

46 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Lots of European football on Thursday nights, can't see it being more appealing than that.

Aye, I suppose so. Maybe get it on the channels that don't have European games. Or could Bein launch something in Europe?

Then again, that might be counter-productive to the "master plan" to get access to Europe.

All very speculative, but I think finance will be in place for a few years to achieve whatever the long term goal is.

ETA. Dazn have UK broadcast rights.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This is not a precedent at all. Qatar weren't in the groups, they just agreed to let them play friendlies against the teams who had a free week.

UEFA disagree with you...

"Group A results featuring Qatar

Sunday, November 14, 2021

Asian champions Qatar were part of Group A in preparation for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

UEFA invited the Qatar national team – the reigning champions of Asia – to participate in the European Qualifiers as part of their preparations for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, which Qatar will host.

Qatar accordingly joined Group A along with Portugal, Serbia, Republic of Ireland, Luxembourg and Azerbaijan; they played their 'home' matches in Europe in order to facilitate short travel times for their opponents. As the next World Cup host nation, Qatar are automatically in the tournament, so their results in Group A did not count towards qualification."

The matches are coloured in differently on the site, they didn't count towards qualification and they don't appear in the group. There is absolutely no sense in which Qatar were actually part of qualifying. They didn't take anyone's place, it didn't affect anyone, they just played games against the spare team.

A Saudi team taking part in the Champions League qualifiers would come directly at the expense of a European club, probably a big club from one of the major nations too.

Edited by craigkillie