Injuries

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Patterson confirmed as needing surgery, season over. 

Club season over. It's certainly not good news but he's not been ruled out of the Euros yet.

In slightly better news BBC are reporting that Grant Hanley will return to training and first team contention with Norwich next week.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Club season over. It's certainly not good news but he's not been ruled out of the Euros yet.

In slightly better news BBC are reporting that Grant Hanley will return to training and first team contention with Norwich next week.

I’m not sure how many players have come back from hammy surgery in 9 weeks. I think he will be out.

I do think Hickey has a chance but any further setbacks and he’s probably done.

15 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I’m not sure how many players have come back from hammy surgery in 9 weeks. I think he will be out.

I do think Hickey has a chance but any further setbacks and he’s probably done.

Yeah, not disagreeing per se. He's now a longer shot than Hickey is (Hickey is at least now running on grass). Just noting that Dyche himself said he couldn't be sure if his Euro dream was over, only that he definitely wouldn't play for Everton again this season.

I think Ralston must be an absolute nailed on cert for a pick now as long as he doesn't get injured himself. Even if both Hickey and Patterson make it there will be enough doubts about both to necessitate having a fully fit right back in the squad as well.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, not disagreeing per se. He's now a longer shot than Hickey is (Hickey is at least now running on grass). Just noting that Dyche himself said he couldn't be sure if his Euro dream was over, only that he definitely wouldn't play for Everton again this season.

I think Ralston must be an absolute nailed on cert for a pick now as long as he doesn't get injured himself. Even if both Hickey and Patterson make it there will be enough doubts about both to necessitate having a fully fit right back in the squad as well.

I don’t see any way that Ralston isn’t on the plane now, agreed. I also think if the squad stays at 23 you probably can’t take both Hickey and Patterson unless you’re really confident in the fitness levels. If it’s 26 you can punt around a bit but if it’s 23 you kind of just have to take whoever’s more fit of the two + Ralston IMO. 

In the upcoming friendlies, I would be taking along McCrorie and Johnston to have a look at both on the assumption that one or both of Hickey/Patterson will be doubtful. 

McCrorie is doing well this year with Bristol at right wing back, has started 12 out of 18 games since start of the year and came on as a sub for the other 6. I think he may have had a couple of call ups in past as well so that in itself may help.

Johnston I have seen very little of aside from Under 21 games. He isn't starting at the moment for Sturm Graz but is making sub appearances here and there. He is very highly thought of I believe, I just don't know how high that ceiling is. If he is some sort of wonder kid then I would maybe take a punt, but I'm not sure he fits the mould for that.

If Hickey/Patterson are both out like, I'm not convinced the replacements will even have a chance to start. Ralston has the best chance of starting but nobody after him will start. I think Clarke is more likely to move Robertson/Tierney over or use Ryan Fraser if he is included in those circumstances.

The fact that we are eight weeks or so away, and already have three injuries to important members of our squad is pretty worrying - obviously within that there is hope for Hickey to return. 

17 minutes ago, BroraBoy said:

Livramento isn’t he English ?? 

He's part Scottish. John Carver needs to get the rusty thumbscrews out and 'make it happen'.

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

If Hickey/Patterson are both out like, I'm not convinced the replacements will even have a chance to start. Ralston has the best chance of starting but nobody after him will start. I think Clarke is more likely to move Robertson/Tierney over or use Ryan Fraser if he is included in those circumstances.

Eh? I can't see any grounds for thinking Stevie Clarke, who hasn't picked Fraser for a squad in over a year is suddenly going to start him in a pretty unfamiliar position (he's been playing left wing for Southampton when he starts) ahead of Anthony Ralston, who, regardless of what you and I may think, has been in squads fairly consistently since Hickey was injured and was on the pitch in that position against the Dutch last month.

He's not going to play Robertson on the right either. Tierney could do it but I don't see him deliberately disrupting the position he's made his own to do it if Ralston's fit and available.

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

I don’t see any way that Ralston isn’t on the plane now, agreed. I also think if the squad stays at 23 you probably can’t take both Hickey and Patterson unless you’re really confident in the fitness levels. If it’s 26 you can punt around a bit but if it’s 23 you kind of just have to take whoever’s more fit of the two + Ralston IMO. 

You can take all three in a 23. He already was a candidate for that 23rd shirt along with Cooper / Souttar, Taylor and Jack. In Ferguson's absence there's another spare shirt.

That said, the likelihood is this will see Patterson out and if anything make it more likely he takes a risk with Hickey even if not 100%.

46 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

This could have been Harrison Ashby's time to shine, if he wasn't injured...

Harrison Ashby I have heard of!! 
A very promising prospect whilst at West Ham……..
He has also played for the Scotland U21’s alongside Hayden Hackney, Hackney has defected to Engerland but Ashby is injured like you say! But I think he has recovered from injury ( hamstring of all things ) 

But his selection would be a bit left field, there would be more chance of Aliens landing on planet Earth than Steve Clarke doing something as radical as this 😬

Edited by BroraBoy

12 hours ago, BroraBoy said:

Harrison Ashby I have heard of!! 
A very promising prospect whilst at West Ham……..
He has also played for the Scotland U21’s alongside Hayden Hackney, Hackney has defected to Engerland but Ashby is injured like you say! But I think he has recovered from injury ( hamstring of all things ) 

But his selection would be a bit left field, there would be more chance of Aliens landing on planet Earth than Steve Clarke doing something as radical as this 😬

Hackney played for England before he played for Scotland. He still may well end up playing for Scotland. There has been no defection. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Hackney played for England before he played for Scotland. He still may well end up playing for Scotland. There has been no defection. 

Well there has. I mean, I know he's still eligible to play for Scotland at senior level but he has switched from playing for our u21s to playing for England's 21s. Thats clearly a defection whatever the rules still allow.

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well there has. I mean, I know he's still eligible to play for Scotland at senior level but he has switched from playing for our u21s to playing for England's 21s. Thats clearly a defection whatever the rules still allow.

It's a defection if you completely ignore the meaning of the word defection, yes. He played for England at U15 and has played for both Scotland and England at U21. It's pretty common for players with dual nationalities to play for both at levels that don't tie them down. Hackney hasn't abandoned Scotland by playing for England U21s. 

50 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's a defection if you completely ignore the meaning of the word defection, yes. He played for England at U15 and has played for both Scotland and England at U21. It's pretty common for players with dual nationalities to play for both at levels that don't tie them down. Hackney hasn't abandoned Scotland by playing for England U21s. 

I'm not sure your dictionery says the same as mine. Moving from one country to another is the very definition of defection. It being potentially possible to defect back doesnt change that.

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure your dictionery says the same as mine. Moving from one country to another is the very definition of defection. It being potentially possible to defect back doesnt change that.

My dictionary spells dictionary correctly for a start. If defecting means to abandon a country then you can't go back. If you have another definition of defecting I'm all ears.