Injuries

I'd forgotten that he seemed to injure himself wiping out a Northern Ireland player in the second half. It's annoying considering he'd finally nailed down a starting spot in a good Premier League team, but we can only hope he gets a few games under his belt before the Euros. 

On 01/04/2024 at 12:25, immcinto said:

Great news.

Robertson named on the bench tonight, so at least looks like no lasting physical damage done by the two March friendlies. 

We continue to hold out for good news on Hanley, McKenna, and Hickey.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

25 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

We continue to hold out for good news on Hanley, McKenna, and Hickey.

McKenna played 90 mins for Copenhagen last weekend.

Shame about Hickey but there’s time between May and June for him to recover and as said above I’d have a half fit him over Patterson and Ralston right now.

Good news here though, Gilmour should be fine (barring anything new! Don’t want to jinx it).

If he's back training now then I don't see why he's unlikely to make Germany. There's quite a big gap between the end of Brentford's season and the start of the Euros, so missing one doesn't mean missing the other.

Brentford's last game will be just over 3 weeks before the game against Germany. It's all unknowable's so I don't think it's worth jumping to any conclusions at the moment. If the squad is expanded to 26 I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke still took him even if he misses one or even two of the games. If it's kept at 23 then I think then it's less certain.  

I don't know what the plans will be with all the players having different season end dates, but perhaps some of the players will join up early like and train at Lesser Hampden. That would allow the Scottish medical team will have a chance to look at the likes of Hickey before the final squad is announced. 

Hickey will be fine. Has over 8 weeks and already back running. At a minimum will play a couple of bounce games which will be arranged for in Portugal and the 2 official friendlies in a Scotland shirt. 

On the assumption that Hickey is available and Ferguson is not:

Goalkeepers - Gunn, Clark, Gordon (3)

Defenders - Robertson, Hickey, Tierney, Patterson, Hendry, Porteous, McKenna (7)

Midfielders - McTominay, McGinn, McGregor, Gilmour, Christie, McLean, Armstrong (7)

Forwards - Adams, Dykes, Shankland (3)

That leaves 3 spots. One of them will certainly be a 4th CB (Souttar, Hanley or Cooper) and then the last 2 are 2 from:

5th CB (One of the two not chosen from those already mentioned)

5th wing back (Ralston or Taylor most likely, maybe Livramento if he commits)

Ryan Jack

Another attacking midfielder (tbh we are light on options here. Turnbull or Forrest recall maybe?)

4th forward (Brown most likely. Nisbet or Stewart the next choices)

Wildcard pick (Doak if available, Ryan Gauld, any of the Newcastle guys)

I think most likely it’ll be Ralston, Cooper and Brown of the guys I’ve mentioned plus Greg Taylor as well if Hickey is out. If the squads go to 26 then I think Souttar, Jack and a young guy.