Injuries

Aaron Hickey has had an injury setback so don't expect him back in the near future. Difficult to say for how long - on the one hand it's a "minor setback", on the other hand "he will be out for a while" so who knows when he'll be back.

Spoiler

Unfortunately, he has had a minor setback. He will be out for a while. I don’t have a return date right now. I hope [to see him again this season], but sometimes when players have been out for a while, I like to see them back out on the grass before I make a guess on what’s possible. It’s not completely torn; he just had an operation on his hamstring.

Thomas Frank

https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/first-team-aaron-hickey-brentford-scotland-injury-update-fpl

Greg Taylor is close to a return for Celtic.

Spoiler

We’ll see how (Greg) is for the weekend, he’s out on the pitch and moving really well, working well. It’ll just be getting the sign-off from the medical team. We’ll see, if it’s not the weekend he’ll be ready for the next game.

Brendan Rodgers

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/24101713.brendan-rodgers-provides-greg-taylor-celtic-injury-update/

Kevin Nisbet is out for the majority of the rest of the season, but doesn't need surgery.

Spoiler

We don’t have a real clear update on him other than it’s definitely minimum couple of months. So I definitely wouldn’t sit here now and rule him out until the end of the season but if he is to feature again, it would be the back end of it for sure. As I said, it’s a significant one he’s got on his hamstring. At the moment, we’re in a position where it looks like it doesn’t need surgery which is always a plus. But having said it’s still a significant injury so he’s out for a while.

Joe Edwards

https://southwarknews.co.uk/sport/football/millwall/hutchinson-nisbet-leonard-injury/

I haven't seen any update on Tierney with a source, but last I heard he was targeting a return for Real Sociedad's Champions League tie against PSG via the Athletic, so maybe see him in the next week or so.

https://theathletic.com/5224115/2024/01/30/kieran-tierney-injury-news/

On 11/02/2024 at 15:02, KingRocketman II said:

I genuinely hope that Hickey and Tierney will be fully fit....

It literally changes everything if we go into the tournament with both available and on form.

The chance of that happening I’m not so sure 

On 11/02/2024 at 15:02, KingRocketman II said:

I genuinely hope that Hickey and Tierney will be fully fit....

I always think when Tierney is injured the balance of the team just doesn't look right. He's a massive part of the way we play IMO. Likewise, Hickey has fast become one of the first names on the team sheet. Hopefully they will both be back in action sooner rather than later

Not sure if it's possible to replace injured players after the tournament starts. It'll be a consideration if Clarke's thinking about gambling on a player just back from a long term injury, e.g. Hickey.

Should listed players or goalkeepers become seriously injured or ill, they may only be substituted if both their team doctor and a doctor from the UEFA Medical Committee confirm that the injury or illness is sufficiently serious to prevent them from taking part in the final tournament. Subject to the final approval of the UEFA administration, they may be replaced on the list of 23 players registered for the final tournament, as follows:

1. players and goalkeepers may be replaced before their team's first match in the final tournament,

2. goalkeepers may also be replaced before their next match during the final tournament.

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24/Article-48-Player-lists-Online

Steve Clarke's comments previously.

You might pick up injuries or suspensions and you can’t call anybody in. Once you go with your 23 and pick up two or three injuries or a couple of suspensions, you’re down to the bare bones.

Steve Clarke

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/11613708/ben-doak-scotland-euro-2024-steve-clarke-celtic-liverpool/

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

How do we think the squad will look? It seems like McGregor, Hickey and Brown won’t make it. 

Wanted to add some meat to the bones.

Callum came off at half-time during the week. Felt his achilles a little bit and his calf and I know speaking to him at this time of the year he does normally feel a little bit because he obviously plays so much, so we just have to assess that and see where he's at. 

He will have another scan on Wednesday. I don’t think it will be long-term but it may last through to the international break. He has a further scan on Wednesday and then we will get to see where he’s at. If he’s not going to be involved for us he obviously won’t be involved for Scotland.

Brendan Rodgers

https://news.stv.tv/sport/callum-mcgregor-a-doubt-for-scotlands-next-two-fixtures-due-to-injury

If I put my cynical hat on, Celtic and Rodgers have an interest in Callum McGregor not playing during the International break. It's something seen previously remembering back to the last friendly international break against Turkey where no Celtic players were allowed to go.

Steve Clarke often calls up injured players, so not sure how this will play out. 

Edited by 2426255

Clarke knows what McGregor offers, it might be good for him to have a couple of weeks off at this point looking towards June (assuming the injury isn't serious)

On 04/03/2024 at 11:48, 2426255 said:

Makes me wonder what the point in playing these friendlies is if we rest the likes of McGregor, McGinn and Tierney. Are they just fixture fillers? or are they Euro-2024 preparation? I'd like to think it was the latter, but wouldn't be overly surprised if was the former.

Well firstly UEFA insist on every nation playing two fixtures in each break now. So much to the point that if you’re in an odd numbered group they will insist on you playing a centralised friendly on your match day off, often against the host nation since they aren’t involved in qualifying.

The other thing though is that it’s a good opportunity for the guys on the fringe of the squad to stake their claim. It’s important to still try and get positive results because world ranking will impact our seeding for the 2026 World Cup qualifiers, but I wouldn’t be taking injury risks and would like to see some players get a shot.

I’d go 5 at the back against Netherlands and 4 at the back against Northern Ireland, would like to see Ferguson and Shankland get at least one start each. 

On 05/03/2024 at 12:57, 2426255 said:

Probably agree. It's more about filling the calendar than specific preparation for the Euros. That's how I'm looking at it anyway. Maybe one or two things will be tested with a view to the Euro's games. I'd like to see us build on the France performance against the Netherlands or treat that one more seriously as it's a good opportunity for what will be coming down the road.

The Northern Ireland I'm really not bothered about as I don't see that much can be learned from it. Let the fans have their fill of goals, a derby game and all the rest of it. Looking forward to seeing how the games are promoted. 

To answer this specific point I think the answer is "we"

On 05/03/2024 at 12:36, JS_FFC said:

Well firstly UEFA insist on every nation playing two fixtures in each break now. So much to the point that if you’re in an odd numbered group they will insist on you playing a centralised friendly on your match day off, often against the host nation since they aren’t involved in qualifying.

The other thing though is that it’s a good opportunity for the guys on the fringe of the squad to stake their claim. It’s important to still try and get positive results because world ranking will impact our seeding for the 2026 World Cup qualifiers, but I wouldn’t be taking injury risks and would like to see some players get a shot.

I’d go 5 at the back against Netherlands and 4 at the back against Northern Ireland, would like to see Ferguson and Shankland get at least one start each. 

The four at the back did not work that well against Georgia and Norway  . 

It will partly depend on Tierney's fitness