Injuries

1 hour ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Callum McGregor’s fitness is looking like a bit of a concern now.

If it was late April or into May possibly but more than 3 months befoee the Euros.  Might give him the rest that he probably needs

6 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

If it was late April or into May possibly but more than 3 months befoee the Euros.  Might give him the rest that he probably needs

There seems to be a report that he’s out for the rest of the season. Time will tell.

It’s our strongest area of the park depth wise but it would still be a real loss without his quality and leadership.

3 hours ago, Londonwell said:

There seems to be a report that he’s out for the rest of the season. Time will tell.

I think that was started by somebody on twitter and everybody ran with it. Rodgers said yesterday he hopes he back after the international break. 

We have plenty of options who can replicate some aspects of McGregor's game, but there's no one capable of doing all of them. It'll be interesting to see if we switch our midfield shape up to compensate for his absence, though that might be counterintuitive from the point of view of building towards the Euros. 

6 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

I think that was started by somebody on twitter and everybody ran with it. Rodgers said yesterday he hopes he back after the international break. 

That would be good. I saw it mentioned that it was in the Daily Record but hadn’t bothered to check. 

17 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

That would be good. I saw it mentioned that it was in the Daily Record but hadn’t bothered to check. 

I created this thread so there would be reliable and up to date information available on injuries to avoid going down the rumour, worry and drama queen road.

The update on Callum McGregor ahead of the cup match, was a nothing update - but it's been added below. I still think Brenda might be playing this one cute as McGregor is important to Celtic and Scotland are only playing friendly games.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.436c221a8ae3e399b0f74bfd96191f7d.png

Yeah inconclusive really (scan). We had it in mind he (McGregor) would miss through until the International break and then take it from there. He travelled for the scan, but nothing really showing up on that so much so we’ll assess that over the next couple of weeks.

Brendan Rodgers

https://youtu.be/Ai3SxnGjUc4?si=imNTU_9qaRZZO3fV

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I created this thread so there would be reliable and up to date information available on injuries to avoid going down the rumour, worry and drama queen road.

We love ( worrying ) you .

Seriously I , for one , assume the worst if I see certain players' names

6 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

We love ( worrying ) you .

Seriously I , for one , assume the worst if I see certain players' names

I dont think I have ever opened the Kieran Tierney thread without wondering if thats him out for the season

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

We've relied on McGregor to score every single one of our major tournament goals for over two decades now. He'd be very difficult to replace.

you should have said "this century" more dramatic and powerful yet still true

Aaron (Hickey) is improving. Slowly, but he is improving. He should get a return to the grass early or mid April. I am hopeful. Callum (McGregor) is similar. The feedback I have had is he will be back after the international break so fingers crossed on that one.

Ryan is another one I had in my mind that I was going to select for these games. Rangers were going to start him against Hibernian according to their manager Philippe Clement, but he has picked up another little niggle so he hasn’t made the squad. But he was in my mind to select for sure. It would be particularly sore (for Jack to miss Euro 2024 having not been involved at Euro 2020), but it's going to be hard on anybody missing another tournament. Circumstances might dictate that is the case, but hopefully not.

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/24181054.scotland-manager-set-disappoint-five-euro-2024-hopefuls/

Posted (edited)

Grant Hanley will likely pull out of the Scotland squad. He wasn't involved for Norwich today in their game away to Stoke City.

Grant Hanley was not in the squad as you know. With him we had a longer conversation because obviously he is fit, we have seen this. We altogether agreed: he, myself and the fitness & medical department to pull him out of the team training because he is not as explosive and sharp as he was when he was on his best and he is a very physical centre-half: If he’s physically on his best then he is one of the best or the best in the division and we have to make sure and he feels the same to get him back to this and for this we said we’d pull him out of team training.

We have to give him a proper individual programme in the next couple of weeks or however long it will take to get him back to this. Obviously we altogether know it was a very serious injury and it takes time, even if we are happy that his Achilles, everything is fine but we have to get him back to this explosive, sharp Grant Hanley which he was before his injury.

So just to clarify that then because he obviously did get called up to Scotland, He won’t go away with Scotland, he’ll stay at Norwich?  

No, I think this is impossible because we altogether know what now is best for him and hopefully we get him back. We have now to make sure we have to put the programme together; we have to support him to get him back to this sharpness and explosiveness which he had before.

David Wagner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_2PIgwHXNE&t=228s

Edited by 2426255

I think that could be bad news for him in terms of the Euros. His place is no longer as solid as it was before, and that'll be well over a year since he played for us by the time the squad announcement is made.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think that could be bad news for him in terms of the Euros. His place is no longer as solid as it was before, and that'll be well over a year since he played for us by the time the squad announcement is made.

Yes, that is a concern. He's clearly one of Clark's favourites and he was quick to highlight it again himself in making this squad announcement. I'm sure he wants him in Germany, but missing this squad is unhelpful. I wonder if he might travel, at least to the home game, anyway. Not going doesn't rule him out yet if he does get back to playing for Norwich regularly, but the "sharpness and explosiveness" is precisely why Clark likes him in the middle covering behind Tierney and Hendry / Porteous. If he doesn't have it then his chances are much reduced. That was always the worry with such a bad achilles injury in his 30's.

On the slip side, it sounds like a rare good decision about a player's fitness. Folk playing when they don't have belief in their own body just leads to damaged confidence and more injuries as they fail to commit to stuff on the field.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Grant Hanley was injured and therefore unavailable to be selected from June to November 2023. He has been brought back into the squad at the first opportunity by Steve Clarke, whose recent quotes on him suggest he is an important part of Clarke's team/squad.

Spoiler

Grant has been out for a long time with what is a tricky injury, especially at that stage in your career - but he has done well. He is back in the Norwich team. I have seen him live a couple of times and he is doing alright. I have always liked Grant, his style of play. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned, but he is a proper old fashioned centre back. He does what it says on the tin Grant. I call him one of my men. You know what you are getting week in, week out. He is one of my reliables. He is quite quiet, keeps himself to himself - but when he has got something to say he will say it and people will listen. No, he is a good character, a good man to have in the group. It is nice to have him back in.

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/24181054.scotland-manager-set-disappoint-five-euro-2024-hopefuls/

Grant Hanley’s back in the squad. Grant was one of the ones that came back involved in my time. He’d been away from the International scene for a while. Came back in, He’s steady. Steady, experienced player, good in the squad. A player that I call a man. He’s a man – you know what you’re going to get from Grant game to game and it’ll be good to have him back in the squad. He also had a very long term injury that he’s worked ever so hard to come back from. Playing pretty regular back at his club at Norwich and yeah it’ll be nice to see him again.

Steve Clarke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJTTnKI_PMQ

I think if fit, he goes although I'd agree that his starting place is less certain.

3 hours ago, The Algebraist said:

On the slip side, it sounds like a rare good decision about a player's fitness. Folk playing when they don't have belief in their own body just leads to damaged confidence and more injuries as they fail to commit to stuff on the field.

It's a good way to look at it in my opinion. I think we've seen that on a few occasions with Scotland players. Potentially with Callum McGregor, but the best example is Ryan Jack at Rangers who has also recently been put on a programme to help him overcome his persistent injury issues.

Spoiler

Ryan Jack will not be in the selection because he comes out of injury. He has a history of injuries and it’s only a short recovery time between the two games. I will not take risks with him now and we will build him with our medical staff and performance staff in the next weeks and months to make him more robust so that he can come out of this cycle of injuries that he’s had. We need a good plan with him on how to make him more robust and to have him on the field. We had a talk and of course he understands because it is a logical decision. There’s nothing crazy about it. 

Phillipe Clement, Feb-24

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-jack-rangers-risk-philippe-32056311

Ultimately, it's better to be available in May rather than March if you have to make a choice. 

Edited by 2426255