Raith v Morton

I think this one promises to be interesting... Raith off the back of a point earned having been trailing at HT, and Morton off the back of a relatively comfortable win, having been trailing just after HT.

Raith didn't seem to be our favourite opposition by any metric last season, but neither were Ayr and we came out of that with a 3-1 win.

I'm still undecided as to what Raith will do this season, they do look like potential play-off material, possibly pushing for 1st or 2nd.

Although, this game could be very different if we get another player (defender, ideally) through the door.

Going, perhaps optimistically, with a 2-1 win for the Ton.

Edited by ClydeTon
Error

11 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

I think this one promises to be interesting... Raith off the back of a point earned having been trailing at HT, and Morton off the back of a relatively comfortable win, also having been trailing at HT.

Raith didn't seem to be our favourite opposition by any metric last season, but neither were Ayr and we came out of that with a 3-1 win.

I'm still undecided as to what Raith will do this season, they do look like potential play-off material, possibly pushing for 1st or 2nd.

Although, this game could be very different if we get another player (defender, ideally) through the door.

Going, perhaps optimistically, with a 2-1 win for the Ton.

Morton weren’t trailing at half time.

7/12 last season against Raith was pretty good.

On Sat, would like to think we will have a couple of defenders in but I thought the same for yesterday.

Jai in a sling yesterday and Oakley pulled up so assuming they join Baird and possibly Mullen on the injury list.( no idea what his injury is)

Leaves us;

Mcdonald 

McGrat O'connor broadfoot waters

Power Gillespie

Bearne Crawford Boyd

Muirhead

Subs- Blues, King.

So aye, we need a couple of bodies ASAP.

Expecting Raith to be a challenger this season so would take a point but no reason we can't take all 3 if we play like we did in 2nd half yesterday.

Really interested to see how we line up. Ross Millen should be back meaning we'll have a natural right back as opposed to McGill who might well end up back in midfield. Hopefully we can have a few extra bodies back on top of that. 

Going forward, Ethan Ross came on and got two assists which means that it's another option going forward. Pretty much every one of our of forward has staked a claim for a starting place. Only Jack Hamilton is yet to get off the mark, and he's our only out and out number 9. 

Morton are brilliantly effective in what they do and have added some really good experience to players Imrie is already getting the best out of. 

Wouldn't surprise me if it's another score draw again. 

19 minutes ago, madton said:

7/12 last season against Raith was pretty good.

On Sat, would like to think we will have a couple of defenders in but I thought the same for yesterday.

Jai in a sling yesterday and Oakley pulled up so assuming they join Baird and possibly Mullen on the injury list.( no idea what his injury is)

Leaves us;

Mcdonald 

McGrat O'connor broadfoot waters

Power Gillespie

Bearne Crawford Boyd

Muirhead

Subs- Blues, King.

So aye, we need a couple of bodies ASAP.

Expecting Raith to be a challenger this season so would take a point but no reason we can't take all 3 if we play like we did in 2nd half yesterday.

I think Blues will play over McGrattan at RB, presuming we don't have a new defender signed.

Jai seemed to hurt his shoulder in a collision so I would hope it's not too serious - he did play on for a wee bit.

Oakley's seems to just be one that won't leave him alone and could end up aggrivated. Probably why he hasn't really been up to the races so far this season.

Really looks like we need another two signings this week - if not, within the next two weeks.

If no defenders signed this week I can see Blues going to RB and McGrattan taking the place of Quitongo if injured. 

Can't see Oakley making it, so Robbie might be up front on his own with maybe Power coming into midfield

Aye, I think our most likely lineup, in that case, is:

MacDonald

Blues  O'Connor  Broadfoot  Waters

Gillespie  Crawford  Power

McGrattan  Muirhead  Boyd

You could move Crawford into Muirhead's spot and push Muirhead ahead for a 4-2-3-1 set-up, but there's a solid chance we'll end up using both throughout the game, with the 4-3-3 when off the ball.

If Crawford is in that pressing role then I think any defense in this league will struggle to cope. When Oakley's back to full fitness, he'll be able to assist in that, and we'll probably be really threatening going forward.

Muirhead, McGrattan and Boyd is our likely forward 3 for Saturday, Bearne if either of them pick up a knock. Although, Bearne could probably go into Jai's spot over McGrattan, depending on how Dougie is feeling.

I don't think we need to rush for a RB signing before Saturday, Blues seems a decent option as a stopgap and could be a backup for the position going forward.

If we do get a signing (anywhere, really) it's a bonus but for this week we should be fine, anyway.

Ideally, though, we have one or two in before the Rangers game.

Edited by ClydeTon
Error

8 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

How did Jamie MacDonald get on on Saturday? I'm looking forward to seeing him back at Stark's so unexpectedly soon. 

Three "woah" moments I can think of, all in fairly quick succession in the first half:

• Dropped the ball (recovered it, though)

• Tried to kick it and it went straight off the defender (out for a Goal Kick)

• Went to control the ball in the box and kind of f**ked it, nothing much (recovered)

Not in that order. Apart from that, though, he wasn't bad. Didn't do anything bad. I feel like Mullen would have managed to save the Ayr goal but I wouldn't say it was MacDonald's fault.

I'd give him a 6/10, 7 if I was feeling generous, which I am not.

I've no idea what Murrays plans were if Corr was fit yesterday but I'd be surprised if playing Euan Murray from the start would have been on the agenda. Murray is severely lacking in minutes and I'd suspect the plan would have been to introduce him gradually. Ideally Annan was the perfect opportunity but that didn't happen. Having a natural right back in Millen being back should help and if anything it's another week for Murray and Watson to work alongside each other in training ahead of this game. I think another close game beckons, wouldn't be overly surprised if it ended a draw. 

2 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Aye, I think our most likely lineup, in that case, is:

MacDonald

Blues  O'Connor  Broadfoot  Waters

Gillespie  Crawford  Power

McGrattan  Muirhead  Boyd

You could move Crawford into Muirhead's spot and push Muirhead ahead for a 4-2-3-1 set-up, but there's a solid chance we'll end up using both throughout the game, with the 4-3-3 when off the ball.

If Crawford is in that pressing role then I think any defense in this league will struggle to cope. When Oakley's back to full fitness, he'll be able to assist in that, and we'll probably be really threatening going forward.

Muirhead, McGrattan and Boyd is our likely forward 3 for Saturday, Bearne if either of them pick up a knock. Although, Bearne could probably go into Jai's spot over McGrattan, depending on how Dougie is feeling.

I don't think we need to rush for a RB signing before Saturday, Blues seems a decent option as a stopgap and could be a backup for the position going forward.

If we do get a signing (anywhere, really) it's a bonus but for this week we should be fine, anyway.

Ideally, though, we have one or two in before the Rangers game.

We face the very realistic prospect of having 2 players on the bench. I'd say there needs to be a level of urgency in the transfer market without being desperate.

I will be disappointed if we fail to bring in at least 1 defensive option this week.

53 minutes ago, madton said:

We face the very realistic prospect of having 2 players on the bench. I'd say there needs to be a level of urgency in the transfer market without being desperate.

I will be disappointed if we fail to bring in at least 1 defensive option this week.

We 3 on the bench on Saturday, and we still won. Aye were poor, yes, but had more options available.

It's not good viewing but we shouldn't be rushing into signing anyone for the sake of numbers, especially with about 25 days left of the window (+ September for Loanees and Free Transfers).

Maybe he [Imrie] has a target lined up already, in which case; go for it. Otherwise, I'd rather we were patient, as much as is possible.

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

Which is... what, exactly?

Turning complete middle of the road jobbers who looked out of sorts into good players who win games? Did anyone think the likes of Quitongo or Gillespie would be good additions when they first signed? 

There's definitely been an element of shithousing in the last few games at Starks. The celebrations after Muirhead scored the winner a couple of seasons back and Gillespie last season spring to mind. Quite amusing to see folk get upset by it.

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Turning complete middle of the road jobbers who looked out of sorts into good players who win games? Did anyone think the likes of Quitongo or Gillespie would be good additions when they first signed? 

There's definitely been an element of shithousing in the last few games at Starks. The celebrations after Muirhead scored the winner a couple of seasons back and Gillespie last season spring to mind. Quite amusing to see folk get upset by it.

Quitongo - yes.

He was quite a promising player when we first signed him back in 2015 and played well for us in his first three years, particularly the 2016/17 season, when we got playoffs and the LC semi, he was really good that year.

His career hit a massive speed bump with him f**king off to Iran then floating around L1, but I think most people at Morton knew what he was capable of- it was just a case of getting him back to it, which we have.

Gillespie - no. 

Considering he looked done in League 1 with QP, I think signing him left doubts. Even now, though, he rarely lasts more than an hour in games. Though, in those hours he is usually quite good.

P.S. - the shithousing is just part of the squad's togetherness under Imrie, having collected a bunch of wind up merchants.

Nothing personal :)

Edited by ClydeTon

4 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

P.S. - the shithousing is just part of the squad's togetherness under Imrie, having collected a bunch of wind up merchants.

Nothing personal :)

Since fans have returned, more players are happy to shithouse and I'm all for it. Dylan Easton, Ross Matthews and Josh Mullin have all done it to some degree for us. 

Still struggling to think of one better than Bobby Barr punting a ball which hit a young St Mirren and offering them a signed Morton kit after a derby.

5 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Since fans have returned, more players are happy to shithouse and I'm all for it. Dylan Easton, Ross Matthews and Josh Mullin have all done it to some degree for us. 

Still struggling to think of one better than Bobby Barr punting a ball which hit a young St Mirren and offering them a signed Morton kit after a derby.

On the other hand, the kid accepting the kit and burning it right there would have been next level…

Tickets bought for this one and looking forward to it!! 

Should be a good game as Raith have signed well. We are coming off the back of a good result so should be optimistic.  The amount of injuries we have is concerning. Have to hope one or 2 recover and hopefully make a signing as well at the very least.