Raith v Morton

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Having seen none of the bookings from Saturday I can't comment if it was evidence that the welcome addition of physicality this summer has actually made us capable of being the ones dishing out the industrial challenges if a game descends into that after lacking that presence last season, but the problem was that this narrative doesn't just get in the heads of other managers and teams but referees as well. Teams like Ayr and Partick absolutely kicked the shit out of us last season and consistently got away with it because referees were already subconsciously looking out for big bad physical Morton having bought the narrative. If we end up with referees doing that this season because it's actually true now then fine, that's a price worth paying for actually being able to compete in a game that descends into that type of scrap now, but if everyone's talking about us being hammer throwers again it's natural to be wary that we're once again going to be watching Brian Graham elbow everyone on the park with impunity while Oakley is penalised whenever the ball goes within 5 yards of him.

The bookings in the Raith match seems to stem mainly from the early balls ups and the score line quickly frustrating the Morton side, especially with the “questionable” pelnaty award. That sort of play/behavior will quickly result in problems for Morton, so Dougie’s playing into the rage seems a poor management choice.

That being said, there is a fundamentally decent team under there, when they play to plan. Now, away with ya hammer throwers!

19 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The bookings in the Raith match seems to stem mainly from the early balls ups and the score line quickly frustrating the Morton side, especially with the “questionable” pelnaty award. That sort of play/behavior will quickly result in problems for Morton, so Dougie’s playing into the rage seems a poor management choice.

That being said, there is a fundamentally decent team under there, when they play to plan. Now, away with ya hammer throwers!

Since when has calmly pointing out a ridiculous penalty decison been 'playing into the rage'?

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

As in?

He was clearly bouncing all over for a good bit of the match, especially after the penalty and his yellow card. Sorry if that offends you, but he seemed a wee bit OTT.

Just now, TxRover said:

He was clearly bouncing all over for a good bit of the match, especially after the penalty and his yellow card. Sorry if that offends you, but he seemed a wee bit OTT.

It doesn't offend me at all... why would it?

But why you would expect players and a manager to adopt a calm 'oh well' attitude in the face of that refereeing performance is a mystery to me. Bear in mind that an angry Morton team actually managed to claw their way back into the game before Broadfoot sold the jerseys (it's clear from Murray's post-match interview that he felt fortunate not to lose the game, never mind end up winning it). Not sure how that's a 'poor management choice' tbh.

I've seen us lose far more meekly up there and am not in the least concerned about the response of our manager on this occasion... in fact, long may it continue.

I'm much more concerned about the general standard of refereeing... and, as @Dunning1874 has pointed out, the bizarre assumption that Morton are somehow uniquely 'physical' in this league (which appears to have got into the heads of certain referees).

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

It doesn't offend me at all... why would it?

But why you would expect players and a manager to adopt a calm 'oh well' attitude in the face of that refereeing performance is a mystery to me. Bear in mind that an angry Morton team actually managed to claw their way back into the game before Broadfoot sold the jerseys (it's clear from Murray's post-match interview that he felt fortunate not to lose the game, never mind end up winning it). Not sure how that's a 'poor management choice' tbh.

I've seen us lose far more meekly up there and am not in the least concerned about the response of our manager on this occasion... in fact, long may it continue.

I'm much more concerned about the general standard of refereeing... and, as @Dunning1874 has pointed out, the bizarre assumption that Morton are somehow uniquely 'physical' in this league (which appears to have got into the heads of certain referees).

I was simply pointing out that when the team calmed down for a bit, they did claw their way back into the match. I was also clearly NOT calling Morton hammer throwers in general, but observing they got quickly angry and allowed it to play somewhat into Raith’s hands for a while, and Dougie wasn’t helping. I dunno what you expect, so take it however you will.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

I was simply pointing out that when the team calmed down for a bit, they did claw their way back into the match. I was also clearly NOT calling Morton hammer throwers in general, but observing they got quickly angry and allowed it to play somewhat into Raith’s hands for a while, and Dougie wasn’t helping. I dunno what you expect, so take it however you will.

Fair enough.

I'll take it that Imrie wasn't in any sense 'playing to the rage' and that no 'poor management choice' contributed directly to our defeat on Saturday.

That goes down a. to the referee; and b. decisively, even when we'd managed to overcome point a., ourselves.

On 16/08/2023 at 14:55, TxRover said:

Well..I dont think you're a duck 🦆 Rover..... you're quite obviously.. a pussy.