Edinburgh City v Queens

Sadly we seem to have a lot of dinosaurs as supporters who haven't yet realised football has evolved over the years. It's no longer about hoofing the ball forward to giant strikers. 

Bartley is trying to play football, on the ground with pace and movement, yes we were off it early today but with players like Gibson on the park I'd expect us to be a  match for anyone in the league

5 minutes ago, bod said:

Sadly we seem to have a lot of dinosaurs as supporters who haven't yet realised football has evolved over the years. It's no longer about hoofing the ball forward to giant strikers. 

Bartley is trying to play football, on the ground with pace and movement, yes we were off it early today but with players like Gibson on the park I'd expect us to be a  match for anyone in the league

Don't know if it's supporters being deliberately thick but the notion that having a big striker will mean nothing but launching high balls up via route one ad nauseum seems to be their main fear. It is possible to play "the modern way" with a tall physical striker to get on the end of crosses in from the wings when the ball players have played their fancy passing with movement and pace in the build up. If your striker is also fairly decent with the ball at his feet, who knows, he may also be able to contribute to playing "the modern way".

My thought view on today's performances.

Botterill, 6, nothing he could do with the goal. A lot better, more                                                 commanding of his box.

Logan, 5 better than last week but that wouldn't have been hard.

McClelland, 6 couple of shaky moments, took his goal well and was unlucky                          to be sent off. He did leave the field of play.

Ambrose 7, strolled through the game again. Oozes confidence.

Church 6, steady away for his first start. Gives us balance at the back.

Cochrane 6, another who was steady away without doing anything                                          spectacular.

Mimnaugh 5, not up to the standards of previous games.

McKechnie 5, for me always seems to want to take an extra touch and slows                           things down.

Walker, 5 pace is a big plus but final ball is often lacking.

Connelly 5, thought he was off it today, not his usual standard.

Reilly 6, lead the line well and unlucky twice in the first half. Used his                                experience well in the second once we'd taken the lead.

Subs,

Todd, 5 more like his normal self, pushing forward when the opportunity                         allowed.

Doherty, 5 took his goal well. Looks heavy!

Gibson 7, game changer, direct and forward thinking with a delivery.

Bartley. 5, changed things but should have started Gibson.

Now onwards and upwards.

9 minutes ago, bod said:

Gibson 7, game changer, direct and forward thinking with a delivery.

Bartley. 5, changed things but should have started Gibson.

It's obvious from his interviews that Bartley rates Gibson.

I suspect Gibson not starting is because he missed most of pre-season fitness work.

From a supporters point of view that is the worst experience I've ever had a t a football game. I'm sure some must have missed the ko as the queue for entry wasn't moving that quickly. Once inside, well that's just embarrassing for a league 1 club.

As for the ref, well Lloyd Wilson was just waiting to send a Queens player off.

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

The ref would need to know that the player’s actions caused the issues and that they wouldn’t have happened anyway.

The crowd had to run a half marathon to get onto the park - they are categorically not doing it unless they’re running towards the wee man. Safety issue caused by him, yellow card, and he knows he already on a booking. Silly. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Don't know if it's supporters being deliberately thick but the notion that having a big striker will mean nothing but launching high balls up via route one ad nauseum seems to be their main fear. It is possible to play "the modern way" with a tall physical striker to get on the end of crosses in from the wings when the ball players have played their fancy passing with movement and pace in the build up. If your striker is also fairly decent with the ball at his feet, who knows, he may also be able to contribute to playing "the modern way".

Not a bad point. But given the shouts from our fans I think it's safe to assume these folk want a talk striker so we can "get it up the park!!!". 

1 hour ago, bod said:

From a supporters point of view that is the worst experience I've ever had a t a football game. I'm sure some must have missed the ko as the queue for entry wasn't moving that quickly. Once inside, well that's just embarrassing for a league 1 club.

As for the ref, well Lloyd Wilson was just waiting to send a Queens player off.

Took about 15 minutes to get in, we arrived before 2.30.  To be fair to City the Council decided that 2 turnstiles would work for a ground with a capacity of around 1500. 

Also waited around 15 minutes in the queue for the food van in order to pay £2 for a can of Irn Bru. 

Embarrassing that the Queens' directors didn't have allocated seats.  Hopefully things will improve now that the good guys at City have taken over from the arseholes who were in charge before.

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Maybe directors should mingle with the punters once in a while....

What! With no cushioned (maybe even heated) seating, maybe even a restricted view and possibly too far away from the buffet table at half time, can't see that catching on.

15 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

What! With no cushioned (maybe even heated) seating, maybe even a restricted view and possibly too far away from the buffet table at half time, can't see that catching on.

Prawn sandwiches ... you forgot the prawn sandwiches ...

Considering the reports of Doherty from previous clubs fans I was pleasantly surprised. Nice touch, a physical presence and if Ronaldo had scored that volley there would almost certainly be pundits going daft about it. Early days but could be a very good signing. 

Too many passengers again for the majority but they got dug out by a few that changed the flow of the game. 

Good three points in the circumstances but we will have up improve if we have any aspirations of getting out of this league (up the way). 

17 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

^^ Pretty much agree with this ^^. Can’t see the problem with having a bit of a presence up front if we can find one. It would only need to lead to a lump up the park if and when we felt the need to resort to that. One of those ‘good feet for a big guy’ types could play a part imho. Just another option. Certainly better than lumping it up to a big guy who isn’t there, which, let’s face it, we’ve seen in the past.

Edited by louisxiv

Think that's a ridiculous decision for the sending off tbh. I'd say the Queens fans effectively got the boy sent off by running onto the 'pitch'. You'd like to think the ref would show some common sense given the state of the ground. If there were proper barriers up and the crowd hadn't rushed McClelland there's no chance he gets a second yellow for that.

Unless of course it counts because he's left the grass. Which again is absolutely ridiculous given the set up of the place. 

I'd hoped we'd left pitch invasions to the likes of Partick and Ayr fans. We've had plenty of important goals scored over the years but can't really recall many or any times when our fans have gone over the barriers to celebrate. We've gone on the pitch a couple  time up when we've won titles at Forfar but not during games. It amazes me when players are booked for leaving the pitch or going over to the fans to celebrate a goal, but in big competitions like the Euros or World Cup, when they score players run to the sidelines and subs run onto the park without anything being done.

3 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'd hoped we'd left pitch invasions to the likes of Partick and Ayr fans. We've had plenty of important goals scored over the years but can't really recall many or any times when our fans have gone over the barriers to celebrate. We've gone on the pitch a couple  time up when we've won titles at Forfar but not during games. It amazes me when players are booked for leaving the pitch or going over to the fans to celebrate a goal, but in big competitions like the Euros or World Cup, when they score players run to the sidelines and subs run onto the park without anything being done.

As I say, it's probably the shit setup that contributed to it. I think if the railings were around the grass they wouldn't have went onto the pitch. The race track probably made it seem almost acceptable.

50 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

As I say, it's probably the shit setup that contributed to it. I think if the railings were around the grass they wouldn't have went onto the pitch. The race track probably made it seem almost acceptable.

They should borrow the magic rope that Hibs had when they won the Championship at Easter Road. They strung a length of rope along the touchline to keep fans off the pitch, it seemed to work iirc. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Think that's a ridiculous decision for the sending off tbh. I'd say the Queens fans effectively got the boy sent off by running onto the 'pitch'. You'd like to think the ref would show some common sense given the state of the ground. If there were proper barriers up and the crowd hadn't rushed McClelland there's no chance he gets a second yellow for that.

Unless of course it counts because he's left the grass. Which again is absolutely ridiculous given the set up of the place. 

Lloyd Wilson, say no more!