St Mirren V Dundee

1 minute ago, RawB93 said:

I've never heard anyone say Dens was on the site of a former dairy but rather that the dairy was to the south (southwest really), where the DPM (Dundee Pasteurised Milk) Park is now. Ergo the south stand/terrace became the dairy end.

image.thumb.png.08a6a3afb6fa4111695f9f1b85c87b39.png

There’s a bakery nearer to Dens than the dairy. Your stand should surely be the pain-o-chocolat almond croissant stand.

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Deary me...that was our 3rd home game and 5th league game all in. We'd also played games in the League Cup and Anglo-Scottish Cup before that :rolleyes:

Well well there you go I'm happy for you that your brain is still sharp and have the stats in front of you. In fact are you not the man that writes St Mirren history Cartiers Corner if so take my hat off to you with thanks. The 3-3 game sticks out I thought it was our first game after promotion. It was some game. 

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

:lol: 16 pages for a game that hasn't happened yet. It's nice having Dundee back up. 

I think ten pages were Steve Wilko the Doric wit getting bites. No idea why I responded. I mean, we know Wilko is out there, but we shouldn’t engage because they’re teetering on the verge of collapse and are full of shite anyway.

A3BE7C3B-FB69-4ED2-8036-7C8A0A283FD1.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

13 hours ago, RawB93 said:

I've never heard anyone say Dens was on the site of a former dairy but rather that the dairy was to the south (southwest really), where the DPM (Dundee Pasteurised Milk) Park is now. Ergo the south stand/terrace became the dairy end.

image.thumb.png.08a6a3afb6fa4111695f9f1b85c87b39.png

Let's not try and reinvent history. As I explained earlier there most definitely was a small period in the early 70s when songs such as The Sash and No Surrender were sung by a very small section of Dundee fans (usually but not exclusively against Celtic/Hibs). Thankfully this was rejected by the vast majority of Dees and it eventually petered out. The South Enclosure during this time started to get referred to as The Derry and the name stuck for some reason but certainly not for any religious connotation.

I understand why opposing fans put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5 but as long as this stand is referred to as the Derry by some then its gonna continue to be brought up in forums such as this. As a Church of Scotland baptised Protestant I've never called it the Derry and never will, just don't see the point in it.

41 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Let's not try and reinvent history. As I explained earlier there most definitely was a small period in the early 70s when songs such as The Sash and No Surrender were sung by a very small section of Dundee fans (usually but not exclusively against Celtic/Hibs). Thankfully this was rejected by the vast majority of Dees and it eventually petered out. The South Enclosure during this time started to get referred to as The Derry and the name stuck for some reason but certainly not for any religious connotation.

I understand why opposing fans put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5 but as long as this stand is referred to as the Derry by some then its gonna continue to be brought up in forums such as this. As a Church of Scotland baptised Protestant I've never called it the Derry and never will, just don't see the point in it.

There was only ever one sectarian team in Dundee - and no it isn't United. They rejected sectarianism when they were formed (after the splitting of Dundee Hibernians) - the sectarian element formed a separate club.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There was only ever one sectarian team in Dundee - and no it isn't United. They rejected sectarianism when they were formed (after the splitting of Dundee Hibernians) - the sectarian element formed a separate club.

Just out of interest, what was the separate club you refer to called? I read on here recently that there was a breakaway club from Celtic called Glasgow Hibernian!

With respect to Saturday's game, I see on BAWA there were fewer than 1,300 tickets left in the home stands. If a few hundred of them sell before Saturday and there are a decent number of walk-ups, then we could be heading for a crowd of ~7,500. My only fear is the weather will put folk off.

Shull posted the following image of the match programme:

ProgrammevDundee23.jpg.d9845358fa12ce9d95defb3403f182ce.jpg

Does anyone actually buy the match programmes anymore? I don't. Maybe if we were to get to a cup final I would, but with the internet I can get all the latest news on the game and it just seems an antiquated concept now, especially for £3. 

6 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Apologies, there should have perhaps been a question mark at the end of my post. Was showing that a dairy did indeed exist nearby and would be the one in question if that was indeed where the name came from. I'm happy to learn from your posts, it's all before my time.

We didn’t have any of this shite last week with the Motherwell lads.

Motherwell fans = good cuntos. 
St Mirren fans, meh, some of the biggest rockets on P and B among their support. Lots of decent guys too but you need to call out the wanks. 

7 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

Are St Mirren likely to ‘go for it’ so to speak? Might suit us. 

Last season we were a very counterattacking team. It's not that we didn't go for it, but we chose our moments to press/win possession, and were typically more effective against the better sides. We had some of our best results/performances across a season against the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen that I can remember.

We seem to have shifted formation very slightly this season, to something like a 3-4-3/5-2-3. Obviously went well against Hibs at the weekend, albeit we let them back into the game from a strong position. I'm genuinely not sure what to expect from a home game against a promoted team. I think you will have to sit deep because Joe Shags isn't that quick, and we've got a very mobile forward line (7 of our 8 forwards have got decent pace about them), but with us just playing two midfielders, you might get some joy there (albeit those two players are Baccus and O'Hara and they're fucking brilliant). Should be a decent game.

23 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Last season we were a very counterattacking team. It's not that we didn't go for it, but we chose our moments to press/win possession, and were typically more effective against the better sides. We had some of our best results/performances across a season against the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen that I can remember.

We seem to have shifted formation very slightly this season, to something like a 3-4-3/5-2-3. Obviously went well against Hibs at the weekend, albeit we let them back into the game from a strong position. I'm genuinely not sure what to expect from a home game against a promoted team. I think you will have to sit deep because Joe Shags isn't that quick, and we've got a very mobile forward line (7 of our 8 forwards have got decent pace about them), but with us just playing two midfielders, you might get some joy there (albeit those two players are Baccus and O'Hara and they're fucking brilliant). Should be a decent game.

Will be interesting to see how O’Hara has developed. When he played for us I felt he wasn’t a good enough footballer to be a great midfielder, whereas I thought he could be a very good central defender, who could play the ball out. Apparently he made it clear he didn’t want to be a defender. He used to go on marauding runs, basically because he couldn’t lift his head to see a pass. He did chip in with more goals than you’d expect though. 

10 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Will be interesting to see how O’Hara has developed. When he played for us I felt he wasn’t a good enough footballer to be a great midfielder, whereas I thought he could be a very good central defender, who could play the ball out. Apparently he made it clear he didn’t want to be a defender. He used to go on marauding runs, basically because he couldn’t lift his head to see a pass. He did chip in with more goals than you’d expect though. 

Based on that, I think you're in for a surprise. He's pretty much the complete midfielder.