Queens v Annan

12 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Even from the Oakbank Terrace Walker's dive looked so obvious. As for the penalty we did get, I still don't know what it was for, there were no obvious claims by Queens players. Reilly should be off pens now too. Must say the new pitch looks good but there seems to be a lot of players losing their footing, and at crucial times, hopefully not something that's going to be an  ongoing problem. 

Yes, Walker's looked like a dive from the main stand too.

The penalty came from McKechnie getting clattered after getting his shot away.  Like most others, I didn't notice much because I was following the ball on its path onto the unused terracing.  I think Gibson was arguing that the ball was already out of play by the time of the contact.  I suspect the ref got it right, but it'll be interesting to see again.

12 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Could see pretty clearly from the main stand that the ref had given a pen, although that's maybe coz I just happened to look at him whereas others might've been following the ball. Didn't hear the whistle right enough.

Didn't word that too well. I don't think anyone was looking for a penalty and when it was given there was a moment of confusion as to what was going on. I saw him point to the spot and was telling my group as they had no idea. Then it slowly became apparent amongst the new stand what was going on :lol:

Aye, no danger that goal was Connelly's. 

33 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Must say the new pitch looks good but there seems to be a lot of players losing their footing, and at crucial times, hopefully not something that's going to be an  ongoing problem. 

I was pretty annoyed with that in the first half. The watered it just before the players were about to come out. I know it's supposed to be watered but surely that can be done during the warm up? 

Was pleased with that.  Another disastrous start obviously but thereafter I thought we dominated much of the game until after the triple subs in the second half, by which time the game was won and over.

Thought Connelly, McKechnie, Reilly (worked his socks off again, despite his penalty miss), Walker, Logan, Todd and Ambrose (despite the og fiasco) all had good games - Mimnaugh did well too when he came on.  Good to see wee Lee hitting some form at last (he looked up for it again).  The defence is clearly still a worry but we're obviously suffering from suspension/injuries there - thank god we signed Ambrose, eh?  Annan weren't great and immediately started to sit deep after their goal, but I thought we were always going to prevail during the second half.  Walker was taking plenty stick in the new stand (his booking didn't help) much of which I thought was unwarranted; he's still raw and I think there's a player there who can come good with more coaching and game time so we should cut him some slack.  We have rapid pace on the wings which is great to see and that's always going to cause problems for defences - we just need to be able to be sharper and carry more threat in the box when the crosses come in.

Always good to hear the views of a neutral at the game - my Tannadice pal joined me yesterday and at half time said there was no need to worry as the team was playing well and goals were going to come second half.  Strangely, I was similarly relaxed about it too.

Good turnout, atmosphere from the Queens fans too, just hope some of the floaters come back again.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Didn't word that too well. I don't think anyone was looking for a penalty and when it was given there was a moment of confusion as to what was going on. I saw him point to the spot and was telling my group as they had no idea. Then it slowly became apparent amongst the new stand what was going on :lol:

Aye, no danger that goal was Connelly's. 

I was pretty annoyed with that in the first half. The watered it just before the players were about to come out. I know it's supposed to be watered but surely that can be done during the warm up? 

Considering the rain that fell during the night and through Saturday morning, I was surprised to see the sprinklers (briefly) used. I'm not sure what studs, etc are allowed on that surface but some players look like they need different boots on. 

19 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Walker was taking plenty stick in the new stand (his booking didn't help) much of which I thought was unwarranted; he's still raw and I think there's a player there who can come good with more coaching and game time so we should cut him some slack.*

Always good to hear the views of a neutral at the game - my Tannadice pal joined me yesterday and at half time said there was no need to worry as the team was playing well and goals were going to come second half.  Strangely, I was similarly relaxed about it too.**

* I was in that camp. I certainly never screamed abuse at him (other than his dive. I despise diving even if it's one of our own, used to shout at Stevie Murray all the time) but was certainly frustrated with him among my group. He was getting by them with ease but for me never attempted it enough. He was shocking positionally at times as well and pea-hearted when going for headers. Definitely a player in there though. 

** If Annan hadn't got an early lead I think it would have been more relaxed in general. It was a game we controlled from start to finish. But because we were behind and have shown we struggle a bit to break stuffy sides down then it was understandable the nervousness from the crowd would kick in. Thankfully the players kept their cool though. 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

* I was in that camp. I certainly never screamed abuse at him (other than his dive. I despise diving even if it's one of our own, used to shout at Stevie Murray all the time) but was certainly frustrated with him among my group. He was getting by them with ease but for me never attempted it enough. He was shocking positionally at times as well and pea-hearted when going for headers. Definitely a player in there though. 

Yeah (Walker), he's far from the finished article.  However, Bartley doesn't strike me as a coach who misses much and I'm sure Walker's shortfalls will be highlighted to him during post-match analysis and subsequent training.  Need to see how much he takes on board.  Fans love to watch a quick/direct winger though - what's not to like.  Great that we have two rapid wingers developing in McKechnie and Walker - just need them both to work on/improve the end product, but they're young and there's time.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah (Walker), he's far from the finished article.  However, Bartley doesn't strike me as a coach who misses much and I'm sure Walker's shortfalls will be highlighted to him during post-match analysis and subsequent training.  Need to see how much he takes on board.  Fans love to watch a quick/direct winger though - what's not to like.  Great that we have two rapid wingers developing in McKechnie and Walker - just need them both to work on/improve the end product, but they're young and there's time.

I'd have had Walker off long before his goal yesterday. That's why I'm a fan and not a coach :lol: 

21 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yes, I was pleased to see him get his goal - it'll hopefully boost his confidence.

I think he's going to be a maddening player at times.  His pace really is frightening and he looks to have good feet.  

You wonder how good his decision making will be though, as well as his final ball.  There's probably a reason why he's not played first team football at any sort of level before.  If he can learn though, he might be important for us.

37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He was shocking positionally at times as well and pea-hearted when going for headers. Definitely a player in there though. 

Todd noticed that too and was strongly encouraging - some might say giving pelters -  to improve positionally. Some say Todd is too quiet for a Captain but was very vocal yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Todd noticed that too and was strongly encouraging - some might say giving pelters -  to improve positionally. Some say Todd is too quiet for a Captain but was very vocal yesterday.

Aye I noticed that as well! Todd is constantly talking folk through the game but yesterday was the first time I seen him going absolutely ballistic with the players. 

5 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Even from the Oakbank Terrace Walker's dive looked so obvious. As for the penalty we did get, I still don't know what it was for, there were no obvious claims by Queens players. Reilly should be off pens now too. Must say the new pitch looks good but there seems to be a lot of players losing their footing, and at crucial times, hopefully not something that's going to be an  ongoing problem. 

Just read match report on website and it claims it was for handball, it never even travelled close to a hand in the area so no idea where they have got that from.  Will need to see it again but I was positive it was given for a late tackle as McKechnie flung himself to the ground after the shot was away. 

5 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Pitch looks good and seems to play well, am I right in saying they only had the main stand sprinklers on just prior to ko. No coincidence that was the side most slips were on.

Who should be on pens now?

9 minutes ago, qostid said:

Looks like contact in the match photos...

190823 52 Contact looks to have been made as Walker goes down too easilly.jpg

Impossible to tell from a still, but from that it might be one of those where the defender has deliberately stopped and the attacker has chucked his leg out to ensure contact.

It will be interesting to see replays, but at the time I thought it was a dive, and that picture doesn't really shift that.

30 minutes ago, qostid said:

Looks like contact in the match photos...

190823 52 Contact looks to have been made as Walker goes down too easilly.jpg

As MT says, a still doesn't comfirm it and for me contact doesn't mean its a penalty in football. 

FWIW though, Walker's foot is on the ground which to me would suggest he's planted it and dived. If he was genuinely running and was tripped his foot surely wouldn't be planted. 

37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

As MT says, a still doesn't comfirm it and for me contact doesn't mean its a penalty in football. 

FWIW though, Walker's foot is on the ground which to me would suggest he's planted it and dived. If he was genuinely running and was tripped his foot surely wouldn't be planted. 

Walker's foot is on the ground?  Well yes, but only very slightly, most of his weight/momentum is going forwards.  But the key point is of course that a still like that tells us zip, we really need to see video/action footage to tell what's happening.  I'd suggest that photo would support either argument: foul or no foul.

22 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Walker's foot is on the ground?  Well yes, but only very slightly, most of his weight/momentum is going forwards.  But the key point is of course that a still like that tells us zip, we really need to see video/action footage to tell what's happening.  I'd suggest that photo would support either argument: foul or no foul.

If you're running then both feet can't possibly be on the ground? For both his feet to be on the ground suggests to me he's stopped to throw himself down. I thought it was a dive at the time and that still has only strengthened my thoughts tbh. 

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If you're running then both feet can't possibly be on the ground? For both his feet to be on the ground suggests to me he's stopped to throw himself down. I thought it was a dive at the time and that still has only strengthened my thoughts tbh. 

You think that photo shows both feet on the ground? Well OK, there is slight contact with the ground on each of them but only slight, his feet are not weight bearing, his body's in motion. I'm not saying it isn't a dive, I just don't think a still like that can be conclusive either way and you need to see video.

Christ, tough job Walker’s got in extracting any praise from the Queens crowd it seems. Didn’t make the Annan game due to work commitments (though planning to be at Cove next week), but I was hugely impressed with him at Edinburgh City. He clearly has loads of pace, raw ability and potential. If he was the finished article, he wouldn’t be at Palmerston. 

Edited by Frankie S

8 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Christ, tough job Walker’s got in extracting any praise from the Queens crowd it seems. Didn’t make the Annan game due to work commitments (though planning to be at Cove next week), but I was hugely impressed with him at Edinburgh City. He clearly has loads of pace, raw ability and potential. If he was the finished article, he wouldn’t be at Palmerston. 

I thought he (Walker) had a decent game, but he's young and a "work in progress". Give me pace all day long at this level as it's a real problem for defences.

I think we have the makings of a good, young, high tempo, energetic side and the young lad Ferguson will fit in well with Bartley's vision for the side. We just need to settle down the defence, but Efe has already helped greatly there.

Christ knows, our fans love a good moan at Palmy.

Edited by Otis Blue