St Mirren vs Motherwell Sat 19th Aug 2023

Molotov

Attendance at football games is not compulsory and everyone will have their own reasons to pick and chose which games to go to but I was genuinely surprised by the size of the home crowd yesterday. 

Games against Motherwell are generally close and often exciting. We are off to a brilliant start in the league and are playing some great football. Tickets cost less than the equivalent league game. This is one of our two chances of winning a trophy this season. The weather was nowhere bad as forecast.  Yet still there were loads of gaps in the home stands. 

i haven’t lived in Paisley for years so maybe there was another event going on in the town I’m not aware of. 

2 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Attendance at football games is not compulsory and everyone will have their own reasons to pick and chose which games to go to but I was genuinely surprised by the size of the home crowd yesterday. 

Games against Motherwell are generally close and often exciting. We are off to a brilliant start in the league and are playing some great football. Tickets cost less than the equivalent league game. This is one of our two chances of winning a trophy this season. The weather was nowhere bad as forecast.  Yet still there were loads of gaps in the home stands. 

i haven’t lived in Paisley for years so maybe there was another event going on in the town I’m not aware of. 

5241 is hardly a small crowd, especially when you consider it was a cup game and the cost of attendance.

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

5241 is hardly a small crowd, especially when you consider it was a cup game and the cost of attendance.

Significantly down on the Dundee attendance and Motherwell brought a lot more supporters (despite all the pre-match noise from Dundee supporters).  Maybe the magic of the cup only applies to the Scottish Cup. 

8 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Significantly down on the Dundee attendance and Motherwell brought a lot more supporters (despite all the pre-match noise from Dundee supporters).  Maybe the magic of the cup only applies to the Scottish Cup. 

Given its a non season ticket game, not fair to compare it to Dundee. Five and a half thousand isn't bad at all.

28 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Given its a non season ticket game, not fair to compare it to Dundee. Five and a half thousand isn't bad at all.

I am/was genuinely curious why the attendance was down.  Cost is a perfectly legitimate reason, no longer being resident in People’s Town I wondered if there had been another attraction diverting people away. I’m just relieved no one has suggested apathy as a reason.  

1 hour ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Think that was replicated across most of the games. There was only 8000 odd at Easter Road today despite a decent Rovers following. That’s well down in their normal league attendances. Ibrox also looked half empty yesterday as did Rugby Park today. Only the away end was full. The two visible home stands were very sparse. 

4 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I guess it’s the difference of a game on the season book vs one that isn’t.  

I had the same surprise at Hibs much smaller European crowd against the Andorrans compare to the excellent crowd against Saints a few days prior. 

I think what deserves credit is the big Motherwell away support. 

13 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

I guess it’s the difference of a game on the season book vs one that isn’t.  

I had the same surprise at Hibs much smaller European crowd against the Andorrans compare to the excellent crowd against Saints a few days prior. 

I think what deserves credit is the big Motherwell away support. 

Maybe that’s the answer: the reduction was due to ST holders choosing not to go to the game. 

If that’s the case I’d love to hear why so many ST holders stayed away so early in the season when the team is performing so well. 

I do agree that the Motherwell fans deserve praise for turning up in such numbers. 

19 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Maybe that’s the answer: the reduction was due to ST holders choosing not to go to the game. 

If that’s the case I’d love to hear why so many ST holders stayed away so early in the season when the team is performing so well. 

I do agree that the Motherwell fans deserve praise for turning up in such numbers.

Down to money I imagine. That was my reason for not going. Kids just back at school. 5 week month for pay for me. Fair play to the guys who made it along. Good away support. Genuinely like Motherwell fans, although every team has it utter roasters on here.

41 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Season tickets are a big outlay, but arguably decent value. Start layering cup games on top of that and crowds will inevitably go down. 

I think you need to recognise that the economy is fucked and people generally aren’t flush just now. 

Quite surprised that the St Mirren support wasnt bigger given the start to the season.

I understand the season ticket argument, but the Motherwell support didnt have it on their season ticket either and I would suggest 1400 is probably up on our usual attendance in Paisley. Of course away fans tend to be your more hardcore anyway so if the match was at Fir Park we might have seen roles reversed.

Maybe a hangover from the summer holidays?

Anyway. Well done on your victory. Good luck in the next round.

18 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I am/was genuinely curious why the attendance was down.  Cost is a perfectly legitimate reason, no longer being resident in People’s Town I wondered if there had been another attraction diverting people away. I’m just relieved no one has suggested apathy as a reason.  

I’ve got a season ticket, I wasn’t at either the Dundee or Motherwell games. Away in Spain for Dundee game and day out in the pub on Saturday with my wife and in laws. 

I’ll be there for the Aberdeen game and my missus is coming to only her second ever game as well (she doesn’t have a season ticket)

My son went to Dundee game on his season ticket and his girlfriend used mine. Neither were there on Saturday, away doing something else

Edited by Captain_Sensible

19 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I do not know if many Buddies still stick to Paisley Fair for their holidays but I know a few regulars who couldn't attend due to being on holiday.