Scotland Squad: Sep-2023 (Cyprus, England)

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I could be wrong as I only dip in every now and then, but the last few times I've looked at New York RB's results, Morgan hasn't even featured in the squad? Don't know if he's injured or something?

Yup, now I’ve looked I see Lewis has been out for a while with a hip injury. Hopefully back in time for the finals. 

21 hours ago, Donathan said:

If Clarke has a fully fit pool of players to choose from then some very good players will miss out on the squad 

My guess would be the squad could look like this if all are available

Goalkeepers - Gunn, Gordon and Clark (3)

Defenders - Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Patterson, Ralston, Porteous, Hendry, Hanley and McKenna (9)

Midfielders - McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, McLean, Jack, Armstrong, Ferguson and Anderson (9)

Forwards - Dykes, Adams, Christie, Stewart and Nisbet (5)

Would leave the likes of Liam Kelly, Greg Taylor, Dominic Hyam, Liam Cooper, John Souttar, Josh Doig, Calvin Ramsay, David Turnbull, Ben Doak, Jacob Brown and Lawrence Shankland on the outside looking in 

Massive bit of tempting fate predicting a squad now

Lets see how the cards fall closer to the time

We’re bound to have a couple of omissions to deal with

Ralston will only be there if there are

Part of the reason we took so long to break down Cyprus last time was due to having a stodgy and static midfield. We will have Gilmour instead of Jack which will give us much more thrust and dynamism.

We're murdering this lot.

I would start Patterson over Hickey vs Cyprus. We were sluggish against them at home and we need some players who can beat a man in there. 

As much as I like the idea of a Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay and McGinn midfield quartet, I think Christie or a second striker would be a better bet attacking wise.

4 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

It seems absolutely mental to me that we have a midfielder who is tearing up Serie A and has just scored against Juventus, yet he might not start or even feature. 

That's not me having a go at Clarke. Just crazy to think how different this group is to previous.

Also points to our depth in certain positions, similarly full back and even approaching that at center half too.

If we could just find another top class keeper and a goal machine upfront I'd be quietly confident of impressing at the euros.

51 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Also points to our depth in certain positions, similarly full back and even approaching that at center half too.

If we could just find another top class keeper and a goal machine upfront I'd be quietly confident of impressing at the euros.

Considering we haven't had 'a goal machine ' for nearly 60 years and have never had a genuine top class keeper I'd see getting to the Euros as impressive enough. 

20 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Considering we haven't had 'a goal machine ' for nearly 60 years and have never had a genuine top class keeper I'd see getting to the Euros as impressive enough. 

Striker fair enough, but goalkeeper?

Of course, Craig Gordon, Andy Goram and Jim Leighton couldn't be considered top class........

9 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Centre half? Were doing great, but cmon man. We don't have one centre back playing at a good team?

Its an area where we're hoping people come through as well.

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Centre half? Were doing great, but cmon man. We don't have one centre back playing at a good team?

Its an area where we're hoping people come through as well.

Who cares what club they play for? We have a really good defensive record and half a dozen players who regularly do well when called upon.

8 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Who cares what club they play for? We have a really good defensive record and half a dozen players who regularly do well when called upon.

Exactly this. It's also why I couldn't get too worked up about KT not getting games at Arsenal. When he and the likes of Porteous and Henry turn up they're a well oiled machine. 

8 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I did say we were doing well. But to say we're stacked at centre back like we are at full back and centre midfield unfortunately just isn't true.

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I did say we were doing well. But to say we're stacked at centre back like we are at full back and centre midfield unfortunately just isn't true.

I’m not saying that we are but given the fact we’ve got six or so good options with little drop off in quality then we do have good depth there.