Queens v Montrose

13 minutes ago, bod said:

Anyone want to disagree with me when I say Gibson should be starting ahead of Walker?

He should start ahead of Walker in the next game. No way he should have started ahead of him today. Gibson was the one bright spark today and has taken his chance. You absolutely don't drop a player who's scored in the previous two games though. 

Where to start with that .

We seemed to think we coukd just turn up and win that is never the case .

1st half was worse that the Alloa game defence all over the place no leader at the back simple goals free header from a corner then I think it was Logan has to put the ball out not lose it easy cut back goal .

We created nothing. 

2nd half Marvin realised he had got it all wrong  his team selection and game plan got Connelly Gibson and Ambrose on we looked a different team went 3-5 -2 .

Then we got it back to 2-2 we sat off it again shocking defending 4 players went to the guy on the wing leaving a huge gap for another easy  goal .

After that we should have got a 3rd had a few chances  Reilly missed the best  a sitter from 6 yards .

How was the Mo performance? I think Rory leaving may be a blessing in disguise as it allows us to go back to a much more familiar shape with much more width as we were practically forced to play two up top with Kane and Rory to keep them happy.

Edited by The Gable Endie

1 minute ago, The Gable Endie said:

How was the Mo performance? I think Rory leaving may be a blessing in disguise as it allows us to go back to a much more familiar shape with much more width as we were practically forced to play two up top with Kane and Rory to keep them happy.

It's hard to say. I actually think we did enough to get at least a point today tbh. Montrose looked comfortable after going ahead and after sitting in the second half they came out well when we equalised. It will obviously sound like sour grapes but the goals we gave away in the first half were embarrassing. Just shockingly bad basic stuff. From a Mo point of view you still have to finish but they were definitely gifts. I missed the build up of the 3rd but again your man was wide open to put it away. 

I'm sure your fans will know better if that was an improved performance or not but I really can't see you getting that many gifts in one game again. 

6 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Looked organised in the first half and cut our defence apart easily - whether or not that was to do with your good performance or out shit one though...

You then sat too deep in second half but changed that when it went 2-2 and got the third.

Don't really recall your goalie having much/anything to do in first half.

I missed the two wins against Annan and Cove but my overriding conclusion after watching that debacle today was that we look worryingly similar to last season. Any back 4 that has Paul McKay in it is going to struggle and the 2 full backs looked absolutely lost in that first half. How Cammy Logan reappeared for the second half was a mystery and I am confused as to what the problem with Houston is?

We seem to be building a huge squad - Ferguson is a case in point. Was totally invisible in that first half and yet he is starting ahead of Gibson and Ben Johnstone (who can’t even make the bench). The loan market is a great tool for a club like ours but only if the incoming players are clearly better than what we have at our disposal. If not then we are giving valuable game time to loanees ahead of our own youngsters. Cowie must be extremely disappointed as well.

MB said after the Alloa game that he would sort our defending out but that first half today was every bit as bad as the opening day. Players put nothing into that first half - no desire, no energy, no strength, no guile. Yes we rallied for 20/25 minutes in second period but then reverted to type.

A huge amount of work required to turn this around.

15 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I missed the two wins against Annan and Cove but my overriding conclusion after watching that debacle today was that we look worryingly similar to last season. Any back 4 that has Paul McKay in it is going to struggle and the 2 full backs looked absolutely lost in that first half. How Cammy Logan reappeared for the second half was a mystery and I am confused as to what the problem with Houston is?

We seem to be building a huge squad - Ferguson is a case in point. Was totally invisible in that first half and yet he is starting ahead of Gibson and Ben Johnstone (who can’t even make the bench). The loan market is a great tool for a club like ours but only if the incoming players are clearly better than what we have at our disposal. If not then we are giving valuable game time to loanees ahead of our own youngsters. Cowie must be extremely disappointed as well.

MB said after the Alloa game that he would sort our defending out but that first half today was every bit as bad as the opening day. Players put nothing into that first half - no desire, no energy, no strength, no guile. Yes we rallied for 20/25 minutes in second period but then reverted to type.

A huge amount of work required to turn this around.

Where to start. What a disappointment. Losing to a well drilled and strong Mo. We were just awful first half. Pedestrian triangles in our own half, no pace or movement. The defence looked as bad as last year. McKay should never play for us again, can’t mark, can’t tackle, can’t defends headers. Logan had  a shocker first half but better second. Much stronger once Efe on ( must have been carrying an injury. Much better for first 25 minutes of second half and should have had a point as a post and terrible Reilly miss at the end secured it for Mo. Only Mimnaugh, Gibson ( yes start him), Connolly, Ambrose, Hutchison got pass marks from me. 

We have to start more assertively with more energy and movement. We need to sort the centre of defence out and win second balls. 

The goals were gifts ( needless corner from McIntyre and McKay lose his man again, terrible Logan error and awful marking for the second. Then after getting back into it schoolboy marking with McKay absent again). 

we can’t afford to lose at hope and not against the middle rankers. 

I still believe in Marv but he has to sort this defence as we will win nothing giving away 2 goals or more time after time. 

It was a crap 21/4 hour drive home. Seething watching that today

Pretty much agree with everything posted before this.

Midfield absolutely way too lightweight, Todd excepted (who I thought was OK) and was completely overrun.  Ferguson looked absolutely lost, and was so absent it was like playing with only 10 men: made virtually no tackles, ran around marking nobody, and just didn't seem to want the ball. The only thing I recall he did was give away a daft free kick just outside the box. No wonder he was hooked at half-time.

McKechnie I thought played well, but was up against it with little support from the rest. Mackay wasn't good enough last year and still isn't. Mimnaugh was off the pace today, especially first half. Logan had a right off-day. Walker started OK but faded.  Connolly didn't make much of an impact. Reilly works as hard as ever but not effective today; I'd have taken him off and kept McKechnie on alongside new boy Hutchinson.

On the plus side, Gibson was excellent when he came on (has to start); the new keeper Stone looks OK; Hutchinson showed some nice touches once he settled down (the bloke in the enclosure mouthing-off loudly that he wasn't good enough after he'd only been on the pitch 20 mins on his debut was talking out his a**e); and McLelland I think has the makings of a fine centre-half. Ambrose again did what was required when he came on and settled the ship somewhat.

Overall a pretty disappointing afternoon, and I'll be interested to see Marvin's take on it all and whether he holds his hands up and admits to completely screwing-up the team selection.

21 minutes ago, QOS5Ayr4 said:

Pretty much agree with everything posted before this.

Midfield absolutely way too lightweight, Todd excepted (who I thought was OK) and was completely overrun.  Ferguson looked absolutely lost, and was so absent it was like playing with only 10 men: made virtually no tackles, ran around marking nobody, and just didn't seem to want the ball. The only thing I recall he did was give away a daft free kick just outside the box. No wonder he was hooked at half-time.

McKechnie I thought played well, but was up against it with little support from the rest. Mackay wasn't good enough last year and still isn't. Mimnaugh was off the pace today, especially first half. Logan had a right off-day. Walker started OK but faded.  Connolly didn't make much of an impact. Reilly works as hard as ever but not effective today; I'd have taken him off and kept McKechnie on alongside new boy Hutchinson.

On the plus side, Gibson was excellent when he came on (has to start); the new keeper Stone looks OK; Hutchinson showed some nice touches once he settled down (the bloke in the enclosure mouthing-off loudly that he wasn't good enough after he'd only been on the pitch 20 mins on his debut was talking out his a**e); and McLelland I think has the makings of a fine centre-half. Ambrose again did what was required when he came on and settled the ship somewhat.

Overall a pretty disappointing afternoon, and I'll be interested to see Marvin's take on it all and whether he holds his hands up and admits to completely screwing-up the team selection.

No idea if it’s true but a few people mentioning on Facebook group that Efe isn’t a great time keeper and this is his third offence for being late to games/meetings. If so he has to be punished but surely not to the detriment of the team, isn’t a fine going to hurt him more than actually shooting ourselves in the foot in to the bargain and dropping him. 

Defence with any combination that includes Paul Mckay is an accident waiting to happen, just not good enough and if we continue to pick him we are handicapping ourselves every single game. If Brydon is going to be out long term then we had to get someone else in. 

As above thought Ferguson was an empty jersey today and not sure why we have signed him in all honesty. He said he wants to pitch in with goals and assists but I don’t think I have seen him get beyond the ball or even attempt to really get on the ball. Did a fantastic job of just standing near opposition players but not doing anything constructive. 

Logan had an absolute nightmare and everything he went near turned to 💩, Houston hasn’t pulled up many trees since signing but for me he defends fairly competently and should get his chance next week in challenge cup. 

Not going to judge new striker on 20 odd minutes just hours after signing but he probably should have done better with his left footed effort. 

Can’t wait to hear what Marvin has to say about the debacle in general though. 

6 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

No idea if it’s true but a few people mentioning on Facebook group that Efe isn’t a great time keeper and this is his third offence for being late to games/meetings. If so he has to be punished but surely not to the detriment of the team, isn’t a fine going to hurt him more than actually shooting ourselves in the foot in to the bargain and dropping him. 

I'd imagine Efe is pretty stable financially given the clubs he's played for. I doubt a £50 fine will bother him. I'd have him starting but if the rules are you're dropped then you should be dropped. I don't put the blame on the manager on this one. Efe should be receiving the criticism for letting the side down. Again, if it's true. 

The experienced guys should be setting an example. 

Just now, bod said:

Still in shock but well  done to the handful of Montrose supporters who travelled.

Aye fair play to those who travelled. Never understand why folk take the piss out of lowly away supports in Scottish football. At least they're travelling the country to watch their (likely) local side rather than switching on Sky Sports and kidding on they "support" one of the ugly sisters. 

Also a special mention to the young lads behind the goal today. They sang from the word go and never stopped even at 2 down. Hopefully the product doesn't put them off and they continue to come back. 

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd imagine Efe is pretty stable financially given the clubs he's played for. I doubt a £50 fine will bother him. I'd have him starting but if the rules are you're dropped then you should be dropped. I don't put the blame on the manager on this one. Efe should be receiving the criticism for letting the side down. Again, if it's true. 

The experienced guys should be setting an example. 

Yip, if the rumour of lateness is true, I can see why Bartley felt compelled not to start him.  

He can't afford a perception to exist that his rules don't apply to everyone.  It wouldn't be healthy if the player who the manager had worked with over several years, got special treatment.

It sounds like Bartley got some calls wrong today.  If Ambrose really is a serial latecomer though, I'd be inclined to back the manager's stance.

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Where to start. What a disappointment. Losing to a well drilled and strong Mo. We were just awful first half. Pedestrian triangles in our own half, no pace or movement. The defence looked as bad as last year. McKay should never play for us again, can’t mark, can’t tackle, can’t defends headers. Logan had  a shocker first half but better second. Much stronger once Efe on ( must have been carrying an injury. Much better for first 25 minutes of second half and should have had a point as a post and terrible Reilly miss at the end secured it for Mo. Only Mimnaugh, Gibson ( yes start him), Connolly, Ambrose, Hutchison got pass marks from me. 

We have to start more assertively with more energy and movement. We need to sort the centre of defence out and win second balls. 

The goals were gifts ( needless corner from McIntyre and McKay lose his man again, terrible Logan error and awful marking for the second. Then after getting back into it schoolboy marking with McKay absent again). 

we can’t afford to lose at hope and not against the middle rankers. 

I still believe in Marv but he has to sort this defence as we will win nothing giving away 2 goals or more time after time. 

It was a crap 21/4 hour drive home. Seething watching that today

I really like Mimnaugh but didn’t think he had a good game today. 

40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye fair play to those who travelled. Never understand why folk take the piss out of lowly away supports in Scottish football. At least they're travelling the country to watch their (likely) local side rather than switching on Sky Sports and kidding on they "support" one of the ugly sisters. 

Also a special mention to the young lads behind the goal today. They sang from the word go and never stopped even at 2 down. Hopefully the product doesn't put them off and they continue to come back. 

Strongly agree on both points. It's a shame that so many people are more interested in supporting a 'big' team, particularly the bile brothers.

The lads chanting along with the drummer definitely added to the atmosphere without it ever becoming irritating. I don't think that the result put them off - they were marching around the street still smiling and making a noise as I was driving away after the game.

Edited by Riviera711

The previous page alone must set a record for the most misspelt Queens player names included in a single thread.  I don't know why, but this type of thing really gets on my goat a lot more than it should do.

Connolly?  McIntyre?  Mackay?  Hutchison?  McLelland?

Maybe that's what went wrong today - we had a team full of impostors on the park.

*checks post for typos before submitting*

Edited by Slipmat
Because "this page" became "the previous page"

23 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

The previous page alone must set a record for the most misspelt Queens player names included in a single thread.  I don't know why, but this type of thing really gets on my goat a lot more than it should do.

Connolly?  McIntyre?  Mackay?  Hutchison?  McLelland?

Maybe that's what went wrong today - we had a team full of impostors on the park.

*checks post for typos before submitting*

Quite right too.

Times like this make me yearn for the days of Steven Dobie.