Rangers v Celtic - The Old Allocation Derby

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

on this "no grading a foul" I keep seeing.

Surely fouls are graded? That's why we have yellow and red cards.

You're obviously right, and I didn't word that well. Fouls are graded, it's just that "soft" isn't one of them. 

Just now, kingjoey said:

You're obviously right, and I didn't word that well. Fouls are graded, it's just that "soft" isn't one of them. 

Yeah I didn't mean to be so pedantic. It's been grating me since Jinky (i think) first said it.

I think folk are getting hung up on the meaning of the term “soft foul” unnecessarily. It’s quite clearly a phrase that describes a foul people believe could easily be awarded or not awarded. It’s been around since day dot.

Edited by AJF

35 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think folk are getting hung up on the meaning of the term “soft foul” unnecessarily. It’s quite clearly a phrase that describes a foul people believe could easily be awarded or not awarded. It’s been around since day dot.

Both times I’ve saw this foul since VAR came in it’s been called back and penalised. Sundays game and rangers game v Dortmund. Both times the ref gave the goal and both times he was alerted to his mistake by VAR officials and it was overturned. 

4 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Both times I’ve saw this foul since VAR came in it’s been called back and penalised. Sundays game and rangers game v Dortmund. Both times the ref gave the goal and both times he was alerted to his mistake by VAR officials and it was overturned. 

And both times they were quite widely debated.

I think folk are mistaking me that I am saying the decision was not a foul. I’ve already said that I can see why it was given and I’m not arguing against it all that much.

My main point here is about the controversy the term “soft foul” seems to have caused when it is generally quite a widely accepted phrase in football.

20 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think folk are mistaking me that I am saying the decision was not a foul. I’ve already said that I can see why it was given and I’m not arguing against it all that much.

My main point here is about the controversy the term “soft foul” seems to have caused when it is generally quite a widely accepted phrase in football.

Both times were debated but both times the ones that count, the VAR officials and ref, agreed it was a foul. 

I get your point about soft fouls, if neither had led to a goal then neither would have been changed and no one would complained, similar fouls happen in most games but just go down as soft or debatable and we move on. 

25 minutes ago, AJF said:

It is a widely accepted phrase in football, like transition, false number 9, number 10, number 6, number 8, high press, low block and other totally bollocks phrases.

Loving the reasoned arguments of the Celtic fans as to why it's a foul, I'm sure when decision go against them they will react in a similar manner and won't be writing to the SPFL, SNP and the UN! 

I think it was a foul and was always getting overturned as soon as it went to VAR, if that happens at a lower level with noe VAR, the goal stands and the defender is told he has to be stronger, this was always going to happen when VAR came in. 

Did it cost rangers the game, not a chance, they are absolute shite! They will never have a better chance to beat Celtic but after the fist 20 mins, you could see celtic were light years ahead going forward in particular! 

28 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It is a widely accepted phrase in football, like transition, false number 9, number 10, number 6, number 8, high press, low block and other totally bollocks phrases.

The majority of those phrases you just used as examples are meaningful terms in the game. I’m not sure how else you would describe some of them. 

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Renaming existing terms to sound clever.

Football and its tactics evolve over time and so does the language. How else would you describe a high press, for example? What would it have been called before?

I don’t think it’s trying to sound clever, it’s just the best way to describe what is happening. 

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Oh it most certainly is. A high press is pushing up on the defence.

So I would be trying to sound clever if I use the phrase “high press” as opposed to “pushing up on the defence”?

I think you’re just looking to argue about something if that’s the case.