Rangers v Celtic - The Old Allocation Derby

1 hour ago, AJF said:

So I would be trying to sound clever if I use the phrase “high press” as opposed to “pushing up on the defence”?

I think you’re just looking to argue about something if that’s the case.

Absolutely nothing against you, I simply hate the new hipster type phrases that have come into football in the past 5 years or so. The newest one I heard this morning was 'a false full back'. It's along the lines of my detesting the use of 'so' to start a sentence where it's not appropriate. 

21 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Absolutely nothing against you, I simply hate the new hipster type phrases that have come into football in the past 5 years or so. The newest one I heard this morning was 'a false full back'. It's along the lines of my detesting the use of 'so' to start a sentence where it's not appropriate. 

I like you. This type of new phrase for a thing that has been the same for 40 years is so fucking daft. EPL lead shite dare I say.

23 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

How do you feel about the gegenpress? Do you prefer it with or without a trequartista? 

4 hours ago, AJF said:

My main point here is about the controversy the term “soft foul” seems to have caused when it is generally quite a widely accepted phrase in football.

Never assume that just because you hear it a lot, it's the best term to use. It was probably first used by a gremlin like Paul Merson or something.

Anyway, I'm away to "transition through the thirds" to make a cup of tea, going from my office, past reception, and into the kitchen.

5 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Both times I’ve saw this foul since VAR came in it’s been called back and penalised. Sundays game and rangers game v Dortmund. Both times the ref gave the goal and both times he was alerted to his mistake by VAR officials and it was overturned. 

Apologies if this has been posted already.

I screamed for a penalty when this happened and was baffled when Rangers got a free kick. Whether i (or anyone else) likes the rule or not, it does seem to be applied fairly consistently. 

Edited by houston_bud

9 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Never assume that just because you hear it a lot, it's the best term to use. It was probably first used by a gremlin like Paul Merson or something.

Anyway, I'm away to "transition through the thirds" to make a cup of tea, going from my office, past reception, and into the kitchen.

I never said it was best, per se. Rather that it was widely accepted phrase and people know what is meant when people use it.

I refuse to believe anyone doesn’t understand what someone is referring to when using the term “soft foul” in the context of these discussions, regardless if they feel there are more appropriate terms for it.

41 minutes ago, AJF said:

I never said it was best, per se. Rather that it was widely accepted phrase and people know what is meant when people use it.

I refuse to believe anyone doesn’t understand what someone is referring to when using the term “soft foul” in the context of these discussions, regardless if they feel there are more appropriate terms for it.

I understand it perfectly, but absolutely refuse to accept it. The b*****disation and, I dunno, Talksportification of the English language and football coverage in particular makes me fucking weep.