Banning Children

Parents who let kids away with murder in restaurants are a different breed. Out for a bite to a few weeks back, kid at the next table was scraping his knife between the prongs of his fork, it took the wife to politey ask him to stop, as the parents weren't bothered.

23 hours ago, virginton said:

^^^ desperate clutching at straws

We've already had no child social settings for just over a century - they're called real pubs and the behaviour in them is fucking great thanks.

Not sure why you think I am desperately clutching at straws,  I was merely suggesting all adult areas on planes might not go as swimmingly well as the airline thinks.

For the record, I have no kids nor do I drink (although I do frequent pubs and have worked in them, not sure what you deem "a real pub", but I think the one I worked it would probably fall into that category. In a scheme where kids were never seen) so I have no dog in this fight.  😉

I fly quite a bit and only time I have personally had an issue with a flight (other than the one in Jordan last year that hit the tarmac, then shot up in the air again, circled for 25 mins before finally landing without telling us what was going on...turns out it was hit by a crosswind apparently) was when a mate thought it was a good idea to walk from the terminal to a plane while smoking a cigarette.  To say it did not go down well with the ground and flight crew was an understatement.

Bunch of grumpy old b*****ds on here. We were all kids at one stage and most probably an annoying wee c**t as well. As a father to more than a few I've never actually had a bad flight with any of them, I have been on plenty with screaming babies but mainly just feel sorry for the parents who are trying their best to calm them. Wee twats who constantly kick the back of my seat however, that gets me wanting to kill their parents.

Think kids at wedding depends on the ages, I've been at a wedding where multiple babies and toddlers screamed through the ceremony and the parents had to take them outside while the celebrant stopped the ceremony, that was pretty grim.

I'm getting married in 2 months and we decided early on it would be easiest for blanket ban on kids- other than my fiancee's son, and nieces and nephews - so no friends' kids whether 18 months or 15 years. Youngest niece / nephew is 6 years old so should be able to behave for the duration and then they can run about mental after that, we've got wee activity packs for them so they don't get too bored. We did think about setting up a games console in one of the rooms during the reception but then realised that would be hijacked by the adults. Agree that making exceptions is shitty.

We're also going to a child free hotel as part of our honeymoon and I did spend the car journey back from booking it googling whether "adults only" meant it was a swingers hotel. It's not*

*Or so it says, we'll see when we get there I guess but look out for pineapples and flamingos I think?!

Edited by Fuctifano

13 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I have been on plenty with screaming babies but mainly just feel sorry for the parents who are trying their best to calm them.

Aye I've no issue with that. Every parent goes through it and babies are exactly easy to keep under control. When the kids are at an age where they understand instruction it's a different ball game. It's then the fault of the shitty parents. 

23 hours ago, throbber said:

Because weddings are a family event and kids are a huge part of the families of people who are attending. Children are highly likely the next step in the lives of the couple who are getting married as well. I’d quite gladly not bring my own children along to a wedding but I think it’s generally bad craic particularly if wedding is in a difficult place to get to.

My cousin got married in middle of nowhere in 2010 and his wife insisted on no kids. His sister had an 18 month old and asked if they could make an exception to bring her along but no such luck so she and her husband had to take turns of watching over the baby and couldn’t get to enjoy the wedding at all. Needless to say the bride allowed a few exceptions from ladies on her side of the invite and the amount of bitterness it all created is incredible and still rages on to this day.

The way I see this is that he chose to treat his sister that way. His wife allowed exceptions but he didn't. He could have chosen to do likewise.  

19 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

The way I see this is that he chose to treat his sister that way. His wife allowed exceptions but he didn't. He could have chosen to do likewise.  

You are entirely right -he should have put his foot down and said that it wasn’t right for his sister to be sitting in a caravan with their toddler on his wedding day. It almost gives off the feeling that the toddler is contaminated in some sort of way.

If people want to pay more for a child free area on a flight, then so be it.  I don't see an issue with kids not being invited to weddings, surely it allows the grown ups to enjoy their day/night more.  That said, if you're not happy with your kids not being invited then don't go.  Weddings are a bizarre event for causing all sorts of drama, that's why I did it on the shady with only close family and friends.  Think there were about 15 people at mine and only those who were invited knew it was happening.  My brothers kids were at the service at a hotel in central Edinburgh and for a few hours after, but they got picked up shortly afterwards so the grown ups could go out and enjoy themselves in the evening. I'd imagine a lot of the time, if a certain kid or family of kids are excluded and others are not, then it may be that the kids are just feral little arseholes who cant behave themselves. 

11 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

If people want to pay more for a child free area on a flight, then so be it.  I don't see an issue with kids not being invited to weddings, surely it allows the grown ups to enjoy their day/night more.  That said, if you're not happy with your kids not being invited then don't go.  Weddings are a bizarre event for causing all sorts of drama, that's why I did it on the shady with only close family and friends.  Think there were about 15 people at mine and only those who were invited knew it was happening.  My brothers kids were at the service at a hotel in central Edinburgh and for a few hours after, but they got picked up shortly afterwards so the grown ups could go out and enjoy themselves in the evening. I'd imagine a lot of the time, if a certain kid or family of kids are excluded and others are not, then it may be that the kids are just feral little arseholes who cant behave themselves. 

Me and the missus have never bothered getting married in large part because life is ticking along nicely and we see no reason to introduce the drama of a wedding to it. We may well f**k off somewhere one weekend and get married on the quiet and just have a party after, but who knows.

We've seen so many weddings cause unnecessary hassle. A large part of it is people just not accepting that it's alright for folk to see the world differently.

Some people on this thread are amazed anyone wouldn't want kids at their wedding. Yet, I think it's perfectly reasonable. Have kids present if you want, don't if you don't. As long as everyone has enough notice and you're prepared to be adults about it, treat everyone equally, and not get upset if some people can't/don't want to come, then it's fine. Equally, you're being silly if you get upset that someone else doesn't want your four-year old at their wedding. When, really, if you step back from it, what does your kid add to their day? f**k all. They're paying (probably) a fortune to get married, and if they don't want fucking kids running about, that's fine.

I was at a no-kids wedding about a year ago and was at a table with a couple I'd never met before. They never shut up all night about how great it was to have shoved the kids off to their gran's with no guilt about it for the night and enjoyed having a good bevvy and enjoying the day with no distraction. Other people are horrified at the idea of doing anything that doesn't include THE WHOLE FAMILY. These are usually people who refer to their family by 'The SURNAME'. I don't understand why some folk are like that, but I just accept it.

It's like the issue of dogs. Some dog owners are unbelievably strident in their view that everyone should love dogs and you're weird if you don't. I don't like dogs and I think paying a fortune to have one in your house is a bit silly. People are just different and a lot of hassle would be avoided if folk just accepted that.

On 01/09/2023 at 20:23, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

It's public transport at the end of the day.  Any other paying pax has a much right on the plane has a much right to be there as anyone else. 

If you don't like flying with other people private flights are available. 

If I had the sort of money where I could fly in a private jet I would do it in a heartbeat.  It must be one of the best perks of being super rich.

39 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If I had the sort of money where I could fly in a private jet I would do it in a heartbeat.  It must be one of the best perks of being super rich.

Nah.

Underground lair in a fake volcano, and a fleet of Thunderbirds style vehicles.

No idea why Musk/Besos/Zuckerberg aren't all doing this already tbh. Modern super-rich villains are a bit shite.

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Nah.

Underground lair in a fake volcano, and a fleet of Thunderbirds style vehicles.

No idea why Musk/Besos/Zuckerberg aren't all doing this already tbh. Modern super-rich villains are a bit shite.

Having to rub shoulders with the other super rich would be the major downside.

I’d rather live in a cardboard box in the middle of a motorway than spend one minute with Elon Musk.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

You are probably not being serious, but that is one way of accelerating the killing of the planet. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe