Greatest Scottish Bands

Chippyminton

22 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I miss Sons and Daughters. Always thought they were a great band. Decent live too, 

+1 for Sons & Daughters. Great band. 

The Twilight Sad are my favourite band from anywhere, so by default are my favourite Scottish band. I adore The Fratellis, who get better with every album, and have a soft spot for Travis, who were my first ever gig. 

The Blue Nile, 1990s, Mogwai, Cocteau Twins, We Are The Physics, Kassidy, Arab Strap, Idlewild, Belle & Sebastian, Kathryn Joseph, and the rest. Scotland has and continues to make an absolute f**k-tonne of great music.

On 07/09/2023 at 21:42, Chippyminton said:

Interested in everyone's opinion. Here's mine, in no particular order;

1 The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. My first-ever gig, at the Portland Building at Nottingham University just after they'd released 'The Impossible Dream', and whilst I was still foolishly resident in England. It had a profound effect on me which remains to this day. The spectacle, the volume, the ...... everything. And the memory of Zal Cleminson leering straight at me is something I'll remember forever.

2 Nazareth Difficult to categorise - but Dan McCafferty's vocals and Manny Charlton's sublime guitar playing were things of pure magic. My first 'proper' record player was a Fidelity 'Stereo Nine', bought for me by my Dad from Comet after much badgering. I'd re-create the gig experience by lying on the floor with one speaker each side of my head blasting 'Razamanaz' into my skull. Excellent. EDIT = I'd still class their version of Joni Mitchell's 'This Flight Tonight' as one of the all-time greatest cover versions. If you're going to do a cover - make it 100% your own. They did. Totally.

3 Big Country I was working for SSE at the time as a front-of-house sound engineer - SSE are a PA hire company who were small back then (think a double garage full of flightcases and black boxes) - but who are now huge. They do Download, Rammstein, and pretty much everything else on a massive scale. A call came in one afternoon from the manager of an unknown band playing that night at Retford Porterhouse near Nottingham. Their PA company had let them down. Could we do anything? Long story short - a system was hastily assembled and thrown into a truck. We got there 45 minutes before showtime and threw the system together. The band came onstage - and by the end of the first song, I knew they were going to be massive. What subsequently happened to Stuart Adamson was an utter tragedy.

4 The Proclaimers A nerdy duo who had the guts to sing great songs in a proper Scottish accent. 'We're Scots and this is how we speak - either deal with it of f**k off'. Respect is due just for that. Plus '500 miles' is my best (and only) karaoke effort.

Anyone who includes Simple MInds will be shot.

CHOU PAHROT

CHAMPION DOUG VEITCH

ARCHBISHOP KEBAB

NYAH FEARTIES

THE TREMENS

On 18/09/2023 at 01:20, AnderooMFC said:

Page 4 of this thread and no mention of Twin Atlantic? Or Travis?!
I mean there's a few I like that I doubt anyone will have heard of, but I thought they would've been here before.

Went to see Limp Bizkit at o2 academy years ago and twin atlantic supported. Got booed off the stage. Singer was like " We've got 2 songs left and we're gonna play them whether you fuckin like it or not". 

Completely the wrong band for that crowd.

11 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

Went to see Limp Bizkit at o2 academy years ago and twin atlantic supported. Got booed off the stage. Singer was like " We've got 2 songs left and we're gonna play them whether you fuckin like it or not". 

Completely the wrong band for that crowd.

As someone who likes both, I would not have put them together either. First time I saw TA they supported Blink 182 at The Hydro and got a lot better reception and even a few pits for being the 1st of 3 bands.

My hometown has a great history in producing bands with Nazareth, The Skids and Big Country. You could also add Iain Anderson of Jethro Tull.

Personal favourites are Teenage Fanclub, The Silencers and Belle & Sebastian all of whom I have seen in the last year.

Has anyone mentioned Deacon Blue yet? The Mrs is keen on them and dragging me along to see them next month. 

• 1 month later...
On 19/09/2023 at 12:35, Puffinmuncher said:

Others who haven’t been mentioned yet include Geneva, Ballboy, Mull Historical Society and Aberfeldy.

Colin MacIntyre is the younger brother of Sportsound's resident Turbo *** Kenny MacIntyre.

Wee shout out to (The) Marmalade from Glasgow - forget their cover of Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da they had a number of great choons especially Reflections of My Life  which had a fantastic guitar solo by Junior Campbell that Jimi Hendrix praised.

Previously named Dean Ford and the Gaylords.

happy kenneth williams GIF

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2023 at 23:59, BillyAnchor said:

Not going back but want to mention Camera Obscura. Their song Let's get out of this country is our theme for returning to Scotia next year (hopefully).

That album always brings back good memories of my uni days. I saw them twice live around that time at the abc in Glasgow and then a few years ago at their comeback, of sorts, at St. Luke’s. 

There was supposed to be a new album in the works but I haven’t heard anything about it for a while now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 10:23, BB_Bino said:

How have they passed me by?? Listened to the 5 popular songs on Spotify, right up my street. Thanks for posting this @Hamish's Passenger 👏🏻

Playing Aviemore Arena in February. 1000 tickets sold out yesterday in less than 5 mins. Gutted not to get any then tonight I see this utter c**t on gumtree selling a pair for £500.

On 26/11/2023 at 22:15, The Mantis said:

Playing Aviemore Arena in February. 1000 tickets sold out yesterday in less than 5 mins. Gutted not to get any then tonight I see this utter c**t on gumtree selling a pair for £500.

I luckily managed to get 4 tickets. Didn’t expect them to be in the attention of these arseholes. The lead singer has suggested there will be more gigs coming up in 2024. Hopefully bigger venues since they’re clearly in demand.