Week 1

lichtie23

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That's no a guy I would trust to mop floors without causing some sort of industrial accident or catastrophe, yet the Titans apparently believed he could run an NFL offense 🤷‍♂️

Granted, Dan Marino had a pretty crappy Wonderlic as well, but there's a big difference between general intelligence and football intelligence, and a difference of 5-10 points is huge in terms of what it indicates with regard to ability to grasp theory, concepts, hypotheticals, and think on the fly.

I'm sure with Young his Combine Wonderlic was so bad they asked him to take it again in a private workout, and having swatted for that specifically he bumped it up to 13 or something. Still should have sent them running in the opposite direction.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Humiliated in prime time by a hated rival. 

Must bounce back against Arizona next week 

Fair play to the fans for staying to the bitter end after watching that shite in the pissing rain. 

Edited by Swarley
Autocorrect

5 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Oooft. That's a drubbing.

My workmate was in Miami a few years back (2019?) when they got absolutely scudded at home in the season opener by the Ravens. The local press the next few days was full of stories about Dolphins players trying to get a trade out of there, wonder if we'll hear similar from the Giants.

Edited by peasy23

Far be it for me to defend @Boo Khaki, as a fins fan, but last year when we played the Chargers they absolutely negated Tua's positives. They jammed WR's at the line and congested the middle of the field.  They basically dared Tua to throw outside the numbers consistently (not his strength) and dominated.  

Going into this year I was curious to see how McDaniel would combat this, but it just never happened.  It was like the Chargers had no game plan on D.  Watch JT's breakdown of Tua on the QB School and count how many times he says "that's too easy" or "the safety is so deep".  I wonder whether last year's plan was on Staley or Renaldo Hill who is now with the Dolphins 

Don't think I'm taking anything away from Tua or Hill, because I'm not.  They still need to execute, and they did expertly.  But it wasn't against an expertly game planned defence.  

On the downside as a Dolphins fan our run D was awful.  I've always admired Eckler as a pass catching RB, but we just couldn't stop him.

We won the game by 2, and we got 3 pts courtesy of a boneheaded PI by JC Jackson with zero seconds on the clock at halftime.  That was probably the difference.  

Maybe it's just Dolphins Twitter but this Herbert sucks/ Tua great, and vice versa needs to stop.  I'm of the option that that draft year had 4 great QB"s that could easily be No.1 picks in other poor QB draft years. Admiring Herbert flicking the ball 30 yards downfield with zero effort, whilst acknowledging Tua can't do that as he's a different type of QB doesn't make me a Tua hater.  It just means I can understand Herbert's strengths and also Tua's.

*edited to change  spelling JC to JT.  How many years have I been calling him JC O'Sullivan I have no idea 

Edited by magic sign
Spelling error

Chargers run man coverage just 12% of the time v's Miami in the 2022 game, that was 80% last night. Just sheer idiocy from start to finish, especially having JC Jackson 1 v 1 with Hill in motion when Jackson isn't fully recovered from last seasons injury.

The truth of the 2022 game isn't just that Staley's D gameplan was superior, I thought it was obvious at the time that there was something seriously wrong with Tua. Hill was still getting open frequently yet Tua was missing him time after time. 10/28 passing IIRC.

I thought it was obvious yesterday that Tua has been working on his overall strength in the off-season because I saw no sign of the lofted short and intermediate stuff of prior seasons, and there were a few throws that had far more zip on them than anything I've seen from him previously. He played a great game, added and abetted by a completely baffling defensive gameplan. Doplhins stopped even bothering running the ball because of the chunk yardage available in the air, so I'm at a loss as to why Staley continued to call his base set so often, leaving the absolutely hopeless Kenneth Murray on the field chasing shadows and leaving the middle wide open constantly.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rushing yardage given up if I was a Miami fan, because 1. it's been a point of emphasis all off-season, and the Chargers have assembled an OL that completely marmalises the L.o.S. and 2. Fangio's D is entirely about taking away the big chunk yardage in the air, which they managed more or less entirely yesterday, and doesn't really worry about stopping the run, especially when it's clear that the O can score in a hurry any time they choose, so T.O.P isn't particularly relevant.

The Dolphins won't play many more teams this season that either have an OL like the Chargers, or are as determined to chug the ball. It's basically Moore's M.O.. What is going to be interesting is how the Chargers front stands up to Henry and the Titans next week, because awful run D has been a consistent problem throughout Staley's tenure, and the Dolphins didn't even need to test it.

Edited by Boo Khaki