Accies Vs Alloa

Back to league action now for us and it's our first game against Alloa this season as we welcome back former manager Brian Rice back to NDP. Will be interesting to see if the club open up the other stand for this game after what happened after the game last season when we played Alloa in the playoff you would hope the club would have learnt their lesson from that game but probably not. No disrespect to Jamie Smith but surely this is the game Ryan Fulton comes back into the team Jamie has been OK and probably proved a lot of people wrong so far but we can't let a keeper who's better than most championship goalkeeper sit on the bench for the full season if it wasn't for Fulton missing pre season and being injured he probably wouldn't still be at the club we need to have him starting games when he's fit enough to play. I hope we play Henderson up top himself this game and that we start Smithy or Murray. O'Hara doesn't deserve to start after his last couple of league performances imo. Alloa have had a difficult start to the season however they are coming into this game after a good win against Cove. I've just got a feeling this will be the game where everything clicks for us Accies 4-0 Alloa

Edited by Ian Mcleod

I actually think Jamie Smith is undroppable at present. I was saying this to people yesterday and they all agreed, for a guy who's pretty short for a keeper, he's excellent at coming for high balls and generally I think that's huge at this level as most teams best chance to score into us will come from set pieces. 

Fulton was also acting as assistant manager yesterday, giving instructions to subs etc so perhaps is happy with greater off field responsibility. 

We should be aiming to win every home game. With our first two home games being 1-0 wins it would be nice if this one was more comfortable. 

2-0 Accies.

2 hours ago, Accies1 said:

I actually think Jamie Smith is undroppable at present. I was saying this to people yesterday and they all agreed, for a guy who's pretty short for a keeper, he's excellent at coming for high balls and generally I think that's huge at this level as most teams best chance to score into us will come from set pieces. 

Fulton was also acting as assistant manager yesterday, giving instructions to subs etc so perhaps is happy with greater off field responsibility. 

We should be aiming to win every home game. With our first two home games being 1-0 wins it would be nice if this one was more comfortable. 

2-0 Accies.

I disagree personally if Fulton is fit he should start no matter what imo the guy won us a cup last season and kept us in many games last season and imo he's better than most championship and probably some premiership keepers. 2 of our next 4 games are against QOTS and Falkirk both away those are the sort of games where the keeper will be tested we need Fulton to play those. For me we are just waiting for Jamie to make a big mistake that ends up costing us a game I expected him to get dropped after the Stirling game tbh. Non releated to Jamie here however we have 3 games now before we play Falkirk. Alloa and Annan at Home and QOTS away imo we must get 9 points from those games as we don't want to let Falkirk have a chance of opening up a gap of 4-6 points in October. Hopefully going into that game it's us that have the chance that have a chance of opening up a gap on them.

IMO Jamie Smith tends to punch the ball too often when a take is the better option. This is the biggest weakness in his game and where he falls below the standard required. A poor punch from a keeper always puts avoidable presure on the defence. If he can address this he is a decent option i agree, but Fulton has to play as  he is by far the better keeper and can command his box. 

1 hour ago, Beckford said:

IMO Jamie Smith tends to punch the ball too often when a take is the better option. This is the biggest weakness in his game and where he falls below the standard required. A poor punch from a keeper always puts avoidable presure on the defence. If he can address this he is a decent option i agree, but Fulton has to play as  he is by far the better keeper and can command his box. 

I'd usually agree that his handling is one of his weakest attributes, but he did well in this respect yesterday. 

43 minutes ago, Owsley 2 said:

Ryan Fulton wouldn't have stopped either goal at Stirling. I don't think any keeper would. When the ball's looping several feet over your head there's not much you can do. Second goal was a point blank header off the post.

I think he could of done better for the first goal at Stirling his positioning was quite poor imo but in general I don't know what O'Brien was doing for that goal guy just completely stopped I do like O'Brien but I expect with McGowan signing O'Brien will be more of a backup now which I think is fair tbh

I just think we should be starting Fulton again I keep making this point but our next 2 away games are against the 2 teams that will be in the top 3 with us they're the games Fulton must start. Jamie has shown that if Fulton gets injured again he's good enough to be called up on as a backup but when Fultons available you must start him. I would like to still have Fulton here next season regardless if it's championship or league 1 if he's sitting on the bench for the full season in league 1 we've got no chance of that.

Fear this could be similar to our game against Falkirk. We showed signs of improvement against Cove so hopefully we're on the up. Hoping with the extra week break we'll have most players available.

Going to be optimistic and predict a 1-1 draw.

The thought of going back to Hamilton so soon after the play off horror show fills me full of dread.

Not confident at all, especially given Hamilton's fire power and our less than solid looking defence, could be another mauling.

We were better against Cove but will need to move up a few more levels to get anything from this.

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

The thought of going back to Hamilton so soon after the play off horror show fills me full of dread.

Not confident at all, especially given Hamilton's fire power and our less than solid looking defence, could be another mauling.

We were better against Cove but will need to move up a few more levels to get anything from this.

Calm down, Hamilton’s fire power is Kevin O’Hara.

Hoping for a solid 2-0 win......time to kick on in this league! 🤞

Think the comments on Kevin are unfair.....obviously he is not an out and out goal scorer, but his work rate and what he adds to the team is excellent , and he will get his fair share over the season.

We have goals coming from all over the park also so we are not overly dependent on one player. 

8 hours ago, Theaccie1 said:

Hoping for a solid 2-0 win......time to kick on in this league! 🤞

Think the comments on Kevin are unfair.....obviously he is not an out and out goal scorer, but his work rate and what he adds to the team is excellent , and he will get his fair share over the season.

We have goals coming from all over the park also so we are not overly dependent on one player. 

Indeed, apart from his season with us in the Championship I don't think he's ever been prolific. And even that season, excellent though he was, his goals total was skewed by a spell in the middle of the season and in particular six goals in eight days. Definitely still a player I'd be pleased to have back at Alloa though.

Despite our inconsistent (at best) form so far, I feel there's a big result in the team and, clearly, it would be great to get some kind of revenge for the collapse in the play-off game with a victory or even a draw. 

That will depend at least partly on the team Chipper puts out. And none of us can predict with confidence what that will be. ☺

Edited by printer

41 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Hopefully Mumbongo signed in time to play today. Looks a different option to our other forward players.

His stats are not promising seems like it's a panic signing. If he does sign hopefully it's just on a 6 month contract with an option to extend it to the end of the season if he does do well.