Russell Brand - In Plain Sight

ICTChris

3 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I know you like disappearing down crazy rabbit holes on YouTube, but you're massively overestimating the number of people who are aware of anything he's done since being dropped by TV and film.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Each to their own, I found them unwatchably cringy.

The trews and his other videos were posted on here quite a bit which is why I said that. I didn’t say everyone on this forum was a massive fan of his but he was definitely someone that a lot of people on here agreed with 

1 minute ago, throbber said:

I was going to post this also. What a strange take BFTD

Yeah, I'm still not sure how 6.5m viewers on YouTube in any way negates that most people will have no idea about what he's doing these days.

I'll watch videos by people with exponentially more followers than this, but it'd never occur to me to assume that anyone even knows who they are, because they likely won't. People have bizarre ideas about the reach of internet celebrities.

3 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Yeah, I'm still not sure how 6.5m viewers on YouTube in any way negates that most people will have no idea about what he's doing these days.

I'll watch videos by people with exponentially more followers than this, but it'd never occur to me to assume that anyone even knows who they are, because they likely won't. People have bizarre ideas about the reach of internet celebrities.

I suppose both of us have made assumptions based on our own feeds then.

50 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

The shadiest lawyers imaginable will be on the phone all day to Channel 4 to try and get this programme pulled. Wouldn't surprise me if they are successful

Surely the best tactic would have been to let the lawyers do their work first, and only put out a video like that once they failed and just before the programme started. Otherwise it's a great example of the Streisand effect.

Edited by Soapy FFC

7 minutes ago, morrison said:

Barely 10% of that actually watch his videos.

That was the other thing that occurred to me - it's really odd to see how many views a lot of people get in comparison to the number of followers. It implies that everybody's just clicking 'follow' for any video they've watched and liked, whether or not they ever visit that person's channel again. 

I've got almost a thousand subscribers on a channel based on a couple of VHS transfers that I put up many years ago in case anyone was interested. Nothing new uploaded in seven years, but there's usually a couple of new subscribers when I log in. That's a bizarrely large number of people for what's always been a dead channel, and I can only assume it's because subscribing is just another 'like' button to a lot of people.

16 minutes ago, throbber said:

I suppose both of us have made assumptions based on our own feeds then.

The internet tends to herd groups of people together who have common interests. A good reality check is to start talking about your favourite YouTuber's new video at work and see how many people have any idea what you're talking about. Popularity on the internet doesn't equate to the old days where almost everyone would be talking about whatever was on the telly the night before - there's just so much content from millions of channels that hardly any of us are watching the same things.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Easy for you and others to come out with this after he has been outed as a sex offender

Had you genuinely not read or heard any rumours about the entirely-unrelated entertainer Brussel Rand being unconcerned with trivialities like consent? They've been kicking about since his days of big DVD and book sales.

Even his current fans don't seem surprised, judging by the number of "this is just being brought up to silence him" and "but he does so much work for charity" comments. Not a lot of "there's no way this is true" or "I've never heard anything about this before".

Edit: you might not be alone, as there's this thread in which there's doesn't seem to be any mention of any untoward behaviour, although I didn't get past the first couple of pages:

Edited by BTFD

1 hour ago, morrison said:

Barely 10% of that actually watch his videos.

And to put it into further context, 20% of Americans - so around 65m people - believe in QAnon. So he’s only at 10% of the American tinfoil millinery community numbers subscribing, let alone those who used to like his standup, or those who got confused and thought he might have been the guitarist off Dogs D’Amour. 

6 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Surely it can't be Russel brand. 90mins.of a show on a well known sex pest?

Maybe Sunak struck a deal with C4 that he wouldn’t sell it off and he’d bundle Dorries off to f**k if they ran a couple distractions for him when he really needed it. Check for the refugee barge being torched today just after dinner time.