Minute’s Silence

Dee Man

Just now, alta-pete said:

I may be picking you up wrong (it happens!) but in which case you are saying that Remembrance Day should now stop because no one is now directly connected to WW1? 

No. I think it is unnecessary to have political and potentially divisive stuff like this ahead of fitba matches. There are plenty of opportunities, if you are so inclined, to take part elsewhere. 

It did not happen at fitba games until relatively recently. 

Just now, Cosmic Joe said:

No. I think it is unnecessary to have political and potentially divisive stuff like this ahead of fitba matches. There are plenty of opportunities, if you are so inclined, to take part elsewhere. 

It did not happen at fitba games until relatively recently. 

Talk me through your thought process on this bit please? 

11 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Can I refer you to the poppy thread for a number of reasons why this event has become  something ridiculous. 

I always pause for reflection, remembering my Grandfather and his brothers during WW1. One survived intact, one suffered shell shock, one was fortunate to not get shot for desertion. 

And then I pause for the same poor buggers on the other side of the trenches. 

Not a fan of the whole charade. 

Soz.

Edited by Cosmic Joe

27 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Can I refer you to the poppy thread for a number of reasons why this event has become  something ridiculous. 

I always pause for reflection, remembering my Grandfather and his brothers during WW1. One survived intact, one suffered shell shock, one was fortunate to not get shot for desertion. 

And then I pause for the same poor buggers on the other side of the trenches. 

Not a fan of the whole charade. 

Soz.

27 minutes ago, BTFD said:

It was still a pretty quiet and sombre affair until I left school in the mid-Nineties. There'd be wee collections in the week or two beforehand; one of the wee red cardboard trays would be left in some of the rooms and you'd either contribute or not, and if you didn't want to wear a poppy, nobody had anything to say about it other than the odd roaster in the letters page of the local paper. There'd be a few people doing collections in the High Street. People who wanted to pay respects would do so on the day and that was that.

It's been an absolute carnival of performative mourning since the auld yins died off and weren't around to tell their children to wind their necks in. It's gross, tacky, and has absolutely nothing to do with the people who died eighty years ago or more. People link this phenomena to the "grief" of Diana Spencer dying, and it's entirely possible that event broke the brains of an entire nation known internationally for struggling with emotion.

Maybe it's something we're stuck with until the Boomers and maybe GenX die off - I'm not sure how much the youngsters are into this guff.

The charade/circus for weeks around it is absolutely fair game for criticism. 

But that doesn’t equate to the one minute’s silence itself. Having to steel yourself to bear it once a year doesn’t strike me as the hardest of asks. 

I think we're heading abit off topic  with the poppycock stuff that has the boomers frothing. I would agree with the OP that the constant silences and applauses you get make it all pretty much meaningless. I would happy to see it all in the bin unless it's really related to the teams playing at the time. How you decipher that though I'm not sure.

Edited by gannonball

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Big difference between observing silences at gatherings like football on the weekend itself - and the "ostentatious commemoration" / "conspicuous grief" circus that's burgeoned since 2000s.

But we managed quite well before the mid 2000s without having contentious political silences imposed on us. There are plenty of opportunities outwith fitba for this. 

Last I heard, Pac was in Costa Rica or Serbia.

I think a lot of these silences or claps come down to clubs being unable to say no.

Not great PR to 'not care' about the flood in wherever, the war over there, or poor dead Jimmy who supported the club for every day of his 67 years.

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

At the risk of turning this into the poppy thread if remembrance day was about remembering the working class men sent to their deaths and the sacrifices made in the fight against fascism and we adhered to the "never again" mantra I'd happily stand in silence.

When it's a rapelling from the ibrox roof, flag waving, 21 gun salute to the ongoing economic imperialism of the British state and the leeches that benefit from that then its politically divisive.