How many games has your team lost?

After another night ruining performance and last minute defeat for ex-#TB4 member Kilmarnock I got to thinking about how often I’ve had to deal with this rotten feeling.

Supporting a non-old firm team you do get used to it a bit but, for some, it can cast a bit of a cloud over you for a day or so. I’ll probably wake up tomorrow morning and remember the result quickly and be annoyed all over again.

So anyway I thought it would be an interesting question to ask how many times your team has lost while you have supported them. I don’t expect anyone else to necessarily go and check exactly but even if you are a Hibs fan, for example, and you are saying approximately 10 league defeats x 20 seasons + 20 seasons of minimum 2 cup defeats every year (except for a magic few seasons) = another 40 defeats so you could be looking at having experienced defeats 240 times.

For Kilmarnock I’ve decided just to check to take my mind off this latest last minute disaster. I started going in 94/95 season regularly.

Incredibly by my calculations Kilmarnock have lost 458 league games in the time I’ve supported them (you really wonder why you fucking bother) and just as a rough calculation (not including playoffs, league cup group games or Europe) 57 cup games (29 seasons of two cup defeats = 58 minus the two cups we won + tonight’s defeat).

So as a minimum I’ve experienced that horrible losing feeling at least 515 times. 

Thanks a lot Kilmarnock FC. 

Dicks.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

According to this (possibly unreliable) table, Motherwell are the most defeated top flight side in history. Feels very true to me.

image.thumb.png.53f361f5cb5bbb72bab5755526d02abe.png

Sort of makes sense, Motherwell not been relegated for ages means you wont have had a  lower league spell where you win more often.

Actually wonder how many teams haven't won a league more recently than Motherwell? All the top flight will have I think.

12 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Sort of makes sense, Motherwell not been relegated for ages means you wont have had a  lower league spell where you win more often.

Actually wonder how many teams haven't won a league more recently than Motherwell? All the top flight will have I think.

I'd imagine we're tied with Aberdeen.

They last won the league 84/85 which coincidentally is when we won the first division and neither of us have been relegated since.

Screenshot2023-09-27at17_41_53.thumb.png.c7cf46250215c09bdf12e4d2ec56ced5.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aberdeen_F.C._seasons

Screenshot2023-09-27at17_41_12.thumb.png.b46b5dc252d76814dcd359fee3a0ae01.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Motherwell_F.C._seasons

29 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd imagine we're tied with Aberdeen.

They last won the league 84/85 which coincidentally is when we won the first division and neither of us have been relegated since.

Stenhousemuir haven't won a league since the Central Combination of 1901-02.

My son has some app on his phone that allows him to record every game he has been at and notifies him when significant milestones come up, recently was the 1000 goal he had seen live, I think it was Alan Gow for Largs v Pollok, last minute consolation. Possibly the first time Alan Gow has scored a goal of any significance and certainly more than he scored in his time at St Mirren. 

I’ve no idea how many losses I’ve seen but I’m certain that my son has the info at his finger tips, albeit we have gone to a few games as neutrals and the app would also cover Scotland games. 

3 hours ago, Swello said:

According to this (possibly unreliable) table, Motherwell are the most defeated top flight side in history. Feels very true to me.

image.thumb.png.53f361f5cb5bbb72bab5755526d02abe.png

We've only had a positive goal difference on a handful of seasons in the time I've been watching Motherwell so it's no surprise that we've got an overall negative goal difference. We have conceded more top flight goals than anyone else though!

Oh well, it's better than losing goals in the Championship or League One as a good number of our peers have.