"Disturbing rise in laser attacks"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66925043

Has anyone on P&B been attacked with a laser?

Has anyone on P&B attacked someone with a laser?

Tell your story here.

This thread is sponsored by Death Star Planetary Removal Solutions.

137301.cd96e228-6b6d-4c97-a439-6a80255781d7.gif.97abe9e92c150712533a43e8b71f7b79.gif

Edited by Richey Edwards

• Richey Edwards changed the title to "Disturbing rise in laser attacks"

Has there been an increase? I recall these things being popular in the mid to late 90’s, used to play football on a patch of grass that was surrounded on 3 sides and you’d always have some wee p***k shining the things out their window at us. There were/are also stories every so often about folk being arrested after shining them at planes flying overhead on their way into Glasgow Airport.

14 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Has there been an increase? I recall these things being popular in the mid to late 90’s, used to play football on a patch of grass that was surrounded on 3 sides and you’d always have some wee p***k shining the things out their window at us. There were/are also stories every so often about folk being arrested after shining them at planes flying overhead on their way into Glasgow Airport.

Happens sporadically to pilots coming in to land at Inverness Airport, I'd imagine it's near impossible to find the people doing it.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/800102/outrage-after-laser-pen-shone-at-passenger-plane/

I think someone might have used one on me while driving, can't remember exactly where - but it occured within the last week. It was only brief and I wasn't 100% sure what it was, but my first thought was a laser pointer and it was green like the one shone at Mudryk. 

Edited by 2426255

One of my old lecturers, in the 90s, told us he had been banned from using a laser pointer in class in case he turned and pointed it at students, causing damage. Instead they gave him an 8 foot long stick to point at the overhead. 

As he explained, with this he could probably do more damage to the front few rows than he could with a laser pointer. 

I was on a train between San Sebastian and Bilbao when a wee lad who'd been mucking about with one shone it in my eye. This lead to a lesson in full Scottish invective for the lad and a clouting from his ma. 

Anyway a spokesperson for Don't Allow Lasers Everywhere, Ken said 

Spoiler

daleks.jpg.122277c18965fb36b1e212bb7912730d.jpg

F*CKING EXTERMINATE! 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Happens sporadically to pilots coming in to land at Inverness Airport, I'd imagine it's near impossible to find the people doing it.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/800102/outrage-after-laser-pen-shone-at-passenger-plane/

It’s actually not that unusual to catch the perp. Here’s one example: https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/two-men-accused-of-shining-laser-pen-to-police-helicopter-pilot-in-south-shields-4350766

Given aircraft navigation and air traffic control systems, it’s pretty easy to narrow the location of an attack to a narrow spoke of a wheel from the point where a pilot was illuminated…get a second attack and it narrows even more. The jokers doing this tend to keep doing it, and are often stupid enough to either be in an individually identifiable location or they hit a police chopper eventually.

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It’s actually not that unusual to catch the perp. Here’s one example: https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/two-men-accused-of-shining-laser-pen-to-police-helicopter-pilot-in-south-shields-4350766

Given aircraft navigation and air traffic control systems, it’s pretty easy to narrow the location of an attack to a narrow spoke of a wheel from the point where a pilot was illuminated…get a second attack and it narrows even more. The jokers doing this tend to keep doing it, and are often stupid enough to either be in an individually identifiable location or they hit a police chopper eventually.

This new Tom Jones song is shite.

6 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I would urge anyone who criticises people for pointing lasers at planes to actually try it themselves. A truly thrilling experience. 

I reckon hitting you around the head with a baseball bat would be a truly thrilling experience.  Probably increase your IQ too.

9 hours ago, Ross. said:

Aye it was like a sport in Faifley for a while, i remember a spate of them reported in Clydebank and it turned out they tracked the guy down and got him done for it, one pilot was able to provide a location etc.