2030 World Cup

Donathan

No surprises here really. Australia would have had to spend millions on upgrading stadiums, the AFC (President at least) had already indicated they were backing the Saudi bid, and then there's the millions and millions of other reasons that the Saudi bid would get votes (allegedly). 

• 4 months later...

FIFA double Youth WC to 48 teams; make it annual; and award 2025 to Qatar...

and 2026.

and 2027.

and 2028.

and 2029.

FIFA U17 World Cup to be held annually, with next 5 in Qatar - ESPN

FIFA did not identify rival bidders for the hosting decisions which it said followed "a global call for expressions of interest in hosting both competitions."

On 14/03/2024 at 21:45, HibeeJibee said:

FIFA double Youth WC to 48 teams; make it annual; and award 2025 to Qatar...

and 2026.

and 2027.

and 2028.

and 2029.

FIFA U17 World Cup to be held annually, with next 5 in Qatar - ESPN

FIFA did not identify rival bidders for the hosting decisions which it said followed "a global call for expressions of interest in hosting both competitions."

They've done the same with the women's competition, with the 5 tournaments after this year's being hosted by Morocco.

I don't think they've said what time of year they're holding either the men's or the women's. Teenagers playing an international sporting event in summer in the desert seems questionable. 

Edited by GordonS

Taking away the host location, I think it's the right idea to have this every year rather than every single year, since a lot of players would have been missing out on the chance to play in it purely based on being unlucky to be born in the odd year. A lot of the comments I've seen online seem to be folk getting really worked up about an event they probably didn't even know existed before. It hasn't been hosted in Europe in over 20 years anyway, and has only been here once in the last 30.

In terms of the timing, this has usually taken place in autumn or winter in previous years, and that would make sense given that they'll need to host annual qualifying now.

• 3 months later...

Might start saving up for the South American trio of games if this thing goes ahead and the Fifa bosses aren't thrown in jail and the WC bids are reopened. The other tournaments before then don't appeal, and Spain, Portugal and Morocco will likely be horrendously hot. 

• 4 weeks later...

Spain have confirmed their 11 host stadia now.  No Valencia is a surprise especially when you see there's a decent chunk of Spain around that area without a host stadium and I thought that stadium in Seville was a bit of a dump when Scotland played there.

GSzKR6aXMAAma4L?format=jpg&name=medium

8 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Spain have confirmed their 11 host stadia now.  No Valencia is a surprise especially when you see there's a decent chunk of Spain around that area without a host stadium and I thought that stadium in Seville was a bit of a dump when Scotland played there.

that is somewhat bizarre,must be some politics involved.valencias a fantastic city,too

11 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

17 years though since they started building the "new" stadium. That's a lot of manana. 

11 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

FIFA not content enough with having games in Portugal, Morocco and fucking South America, they’ve gone and stuck a stadium in the Canary Islands as well.

This is going to be a shit show.

12 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Three big stadia in Sevilla and they always seem to use the worst one.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

FIFA not content enough with having games in Portugal, Morocco and fucking South America, they’ve gone and stuck a stadium in the Canary Islands as well.

This is going to be a shit show.

It's part of Spain, why shouldn't it be able to host games?

Just now, craigkillie said:

It's part of Spain, why shouldn't it be able to host games?

Did the 1998 world cup have games in Tahiti?

I have no problem with games being held on islands. Sicily and Sardinia hosting games in 1990 made sense. So would Mallorca for example given that it's very nearby to the mainland.

My issue is when you put games on an island thousands of miles away in a different part of the world.

15 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Did the 1998 world cup have games in Tahiti?

I have no problem with games being held on islands. Sicily and Sardinia hosting games in 1990 made sense. So would Mallorca for example given that it's very nearby to the mainland.

My issue is when you put games on an island thousands of miles away in a different part of the world.

The distance between Gran Canaria and the other host grounds is no more than typical distances between many grounds at USA-Mexico-Canada 2028. It's less than a 3 hour flight from Madrid but maybe more relevantly, it's much less than that to all the host cities in Morocco. And it's not like they don't get millions of visitors from all over Europe every year. It's hardly Tahiti.

Bizarrely this summer’s Olympics is being held in Paris but the surfing is 16,000 kilometres away in French Polynesia.

That could have caused problems for the British athlete Sky Brown as she was due to compete in both the surfing and the skateboarding, but she failed to qualify for the surfing. 

17 hours ago, Raven said:

17 years though since they started building the "new" stadium. That's a lot of manana. 

they ran out of cash about 15 years ago.ive been past it,its very far along.Be a shame to lose Mestella,though,its awesome,must get to another game there