French bed bug infestation

Donathan

Reports coming from France of a rise in the numbers of bed bugs causing itchy bites to humans and likely spreading to the UK given that we have a de facto land border with France.

However, what I really wanted to talk about was the bizarre overreaction I’ve encountered on a number of twitter threads relating to this. People seem to think it’s the bubonic plague and not a few itchy bites

Any P&Bers ever had bed bugs?

Should I start stockpiling tinned food ahead of the inevitable bed bug lockdown? 

When I first moved to Toronto, I booked into a cheap hotel for a few days till I could find a place to rent. Found a room to rent in a house, a week or so later, I kept noticing little bites on my back, sent a picture to a friend and she told me to check under the sheet cover for bed bugs. Sure enough, horrible wee b*****ds were there. 

Told my landlord, half expecting to get kicked out but he instead did a lot of research on them and together we steamed my whole room, put down diatomaceous earth powder everywhere. Took a couple of attempts but we got rid of them.