Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

On 31/03/2024 at 10:08, welldaft said:

If S Clarke made a serious play for him representing Scotland then I am sure he would consider it. Maybe he has. But reading between the lines he has basically said anyone who wants to play for Scotland knows where I am.

What lines are you reading between? I dont think you're reading between them very well. The player himself came out last week and said he still harbors hopes of playing for England. @2426255 has provided the quotes. There's no evidence at all that Barnes is just waiting to be asked. There's plenty evidence of Clarke going out and getting others (Gunn, Anderson, Adams, Dykes). Why are you so convinced he hasnt reached out to Barnes? As @craigkillie said, there's no real benefit to either side in publicising such overtures have taken place if they bore no fruit.

Adams, Armstrong and Fraser currently on Sky Sports. Southampton are 2-1 up, Adams with Southampton's first. 

Just now, TheScarf said:

Adams, Armstrong and Fraser currently on Sky Sports. Southampton are 2-1 up, Adams with Southampton's first. 

Goals, goals, goals - hungry for goals! Get in! get Adams on that fuckin plane to Germany. It's all about goals. He's bang in form! Took it really well, smart finish, he's a natural goal-scorer. His confidence is skyrocketing as we speak. 

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

What lines are you reading between? I dont think you're reading between them very well. The player himself came out last week and said he still harbors hopes of playing for England. @2426255 has provided the quotes. There's no evidence at all that Barnes is just waiting to be asked. There's plenty evidence of Clarke going out and getting others (Gunn, Anderson, Adams, Dykes). Why are you so convinced he hasnt reached out to Barnes? As @craigkillie said, there's no real benefit to either side in publicising such overtures have taken place if they bore no fruit.

I should point out that I drink Malt late on most Fridays and Saturdays. So any posts after 10pm should carry a bullshit warning. Not up to the usual high standards of my normal daytime posts 😎.

I am not saying he has not approached Barnes. I just recall him being asked at some point and answering with he knows where I am type response. Too late now anyways but with our last few results I think he would have been a welcome addition. 

So this weekend Ferguson skippers Bologna, McGregor came off the bench as he recovers from injury, McKenna played for Copenhagen, and with the exception of Injured Gilmour, Hanley, Shankland (ill) and Nesbitt all the possible squad members gained some game time, even Barnes played some time.. (just if he stays away from the dark side)      

On 07/04/2024 at 19:17, Super Staggie said:

So this weekend Ferguson skippers Bologna, McGregor came off the bench as he recovers from injury, McKenna played for Copenhagen, and with the exception of Injured Gilmour, Hanley, Shankland (ill) and Nesbitt all the possible squad members gained some game time, even Barnes played some time.. (just if he stays away from the dark side)      

Jacob Brown didnt play. He should certainly be mentioned before Nisbet.

A good number of other squad probables/possibles didn’t feature at the weekend. Hickey, McTominay, Patterson, Ralston, Brown. Suspect I’ve missed some others too. 
BBC saying tonight that 26 man squads still under consideration. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Don't think McTominay played either.

Hickey ?

On 27/03/2024 at 11:46, Skyline Drifter said:

For me 23 will be:

Gunn, Clark, and either Gordon or Kelly

Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Patterson, Hendry, Porteous, Hanley, McKenna

McGregor, Gilmour, McLean, McGinn, McTominay, Ferguson, Christie, Armstrong

Dykes, Adams, Shankland

And one other from Cooper, Souttar, Jack, Taylor, Ralston

If Hanley doesn't make it Cooper probably in, possibly Souttar.
If Hickey doesn't make it Ralston in.

11 hours ago, BroraBoy said:

Skyline - if it’s a 23 man squad,  care to give us your 23 then ? 

Not sure if this is sarcasm? 🤔

I've posted it several times on this thread but most recently above.

If it was being picked today I think Kelly would go, not Gordon, but Clarke will desperately be hoping that Gordon gets significant game time for Hearts post-split.

And if everyone was fit my feeling is Cooper will shade the 23rd spot from Souttar and Taylor, but it seems fairly unlikely absolutely everyone will be fit.

9 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

A good number of other squad probables/possibles didn’t feature at the weekend. Hickey, McTominay, Patterson, Ralston, Brown. Suspect I’ve missed some others too. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68766794

Its interesting how it affects our squad if we move to 26. We're still not taking 4 keepers so there will still be a choice to be made between Gordon and Kelly.

The most obvious beneficiaries will be Cooper, Souttar  and Taylor who probably all go instead of just one of them. Jack possibly also if he gets fit. Or Ralston as extra right back cover if Hickey's a doubt. If Hanley doesn't make it and opens up another spot perhaps a 4th striker goes, with Brown probably most likely if he gets fit himself? Perhaps a late chance for Ryan Fraser?

52 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure if this is sarcasm? 🤔

I've posted it several times on this thread but most recently above.

If it was being picked today I think Kelly would go, not Gordon, but Clarke will desperately be hoping that Gordon gets significant game time for Hearts post-split.

And if everyone was fit my feeling is Cooper will shade the 23rd spot from Souttar and Taylor, but it seems fairly unlikely absolutely everyone will be fit.

Ah okay, had t realised you’d posted your 23 

Wasn’t sarcasm, we are all Scotland fans on here and all have our views and opinions on who should go to Germany…….. 

I pretty much concur on that 23 and this is what Clarke will select in most probability. 

12 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

The players who were injured or ill at the weekend are:

• Hickey, Brown, Gilmour, Armstrong, Hanley, Nisbet, Shankland, McTominay and Jack.

The ones who were fit, but didn't play were:

• Patterson, Cooper, Ralston, Gordon and Robbie McCrorie.
Edited by 2426255

42 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The players who were injured or ill at the weekend are:

• Hickey, Brown, Gilmour, Armstrong, Hanley, Nisbet, Shankland and Jack.

McTominay too. I don't think MU have made public any details of his injury, but it seems that he hyperextended his knee in the match against Chelsea. Hopefully it's not too serious.

16 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

McTominay too. I don't think MU have made public any details of his injury, but it seems that he hyperextended his knee in the match against Chelsea. Hopefully it's not too serious.

Cheers, just forgot to write him in.

I thought it was interesting to see how many players Steve Clarke tends to use ahead of a 26-man squad potentially being made available by UEFA  for Euro-2024. I have taken the information from the last year back to the Cyprus/Spain double header and also included for Euro-2020.

image.png.b8963e7df55414feb1b7b1987a127d68.png 

I have a some recollection of Steve Clarke saying one of his learning points from the tournament was to better utilize the squad in the future. I don't have the quote to hand, but shouldn't be hard to find if anyone wants to see it.

The October camp is an outlier, but it can be explained by the use of three goalkeepers (Kelly, Clark and Gunn) across the two games. Take that way and it's down to 20.

All camps were double headers except Euro2020.

Edited by 2426255

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I thought it was interesting to see how many players Steve Clarke tends to use ahead of a 26-man squad potentially being made available by UEFA  for Euro-2024. I have taken the information from the last year back to the Cyprus/Spain double header and also included for Euro-2020.

image.png.b8963e7df55414feb1b7b1987a127d68.png 

I have a some recollection of Steve Clarke saying one of his learning points from the tournament was to better utilize the squad in the future. I don't have the quote to hand, but shouldn't be hard to find if anyone wants to see it.

The October camp is an outlier, but it can be explained by the use of three goalkeepers (Kelly, Clark and Gunn) across the two games. Take that way and it's down to 20.

All camps were double headers except Euro2020.

Great so we will have 6 or 7 jobbers who will be sitting with the squad doing hee haw instead of actually bringing in players who could make a real difference.