Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

I’m guessing the Gordon appearance will just be a cameo, not really got an issue with that and gets him to 75 caps which he fully deserves. 

I suppose the only issue is that UEFA only allow six subs I think? 

If we start our strongest team (minus McTominay as Clarke has said he’ll come off the bench) would want the likes of Conway, Morgan, Hanley, McKenna and Jack to get game time as well as ensuring Robertson, Tierney and McGinn are managed. 

33 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Craig MacGilivray is playing at a higher level than Zander Clark?

Lol, wut?

MacGillivray plays for Stevenage in English league one and Zander Clark plays for Hearts. I think the general competition of English league one is higher than that of the Scottish Premiership. Obviously Clark gets to play the old firm which is a tougher set of opponents than MacGillivray faces but playing teams like Peterborough, Derby County and Portsmouth is a considerably tougher test than Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Hibs. 

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't really understand why everybody to a man thought a guy with 7 starts in 18 months was going to get picked over a guy playing every week who has been a squad mainstay for years.

The squad contains two players, Jack and Hanley, who are both in the twilight of their careers and have hardly played this season, particularly in the last few months. They have both been picked based on performances from over a year ago and the same question marks exist over whether they are still as good. In fact, there are probably bigger question marks over their fitness given Gordon has been fit and available since December in contrast to the repeated breakdowns we've seen in the other two.

It doesn't seem a big leap to suggest Clarke would apply the same logic to Gordon, particularly when the drop-off in ability to the alternative is so drastic.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Basically Stevie Naismith has had 5 months of watching both Clark and Gordon play and has clearly decided Clark's the better. 

It's a bit more complicated than that.

Firstly, since Gordon has returned to fitness Clark has done basically nothing to deserve being dropped.

Naismith was also explicitly aware that both players had ambitions of getting into the squad and implied that he'd be dividing their game time to maximise their chances of both getting in.

The compromise was that Clark would continue as the league goalkeeper and Gordon would play the cup games. This resulted in Gordon starting our biggest game of the season against Rangers at Hampden, something he was very unlikely to do if he wasn't confident in his abilities. I'm certain Gordon would've also started the final if we'd got there.

Anyway, it's done now and there have been rumours that Clarke was leaning Kelly's way for a few weeks, so it's not a massive surprise. Hopefully we don't need him.

41 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

BBC saying Gordon will make an appearance tomorrow. That makes it even weirder. If he's not going, it's not the game to be being sentimental in.

It’ll likely be a cameo near the end of the game, to take Gordon to 75 caps and probably get a decent reception from the crowd. I’m not sure it’s that weird tbh

The additions of Morgan and Conway are very interesting, I thought Clarke may have played it safe by keeping all his CB's for example. I'm glad he put in a couple of attackers as we are crying out for creative players to freshen up this squad and Forrest didn't look overly impressive in the Gilbraltar game and you would assume he would be one of the first players to be brought on if we are chasing a game. 

Gordon missing out is no big deal, he's 41 so about time we move on to the future. I hope from next year onwards, we integrate a quality youngster with potential into the squad to get him ready to take over in the next few years

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

MacGillivray plays for Stevenage in English league one and Zander Clark plays for Hearts. I think the general competition of English league one is higher than that of the Scottish Premiership. Obviously Clark gets to play the old firm which is a tougher set of opponents than MacGillivray faces but playing teams like Peterborough, Derby County and Portsmouth is a considerably tougher test than Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Hibs. 

L1 is shite. Stevenage are shite. And he doesn't even get a game for them, he was on loan and on the bench for half his games. He's contracted to a L2 team.

He never made an appearance against any of the teams you mentioned either.

ZC kept 15 clean sheets for the 3rd best team in the country and also played for Hearts in Europe and for Scotland. 

He is categorically not playing at a higher level. Not even close. 

If the argument is ZC might not be international class fine. But MacGillivray had never played above L1 and is 31. 

Edited by Tony Wonder

3 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

It’ll likely be a cameo near the end of the game, to take Gordon to 75 caps and probably get a decent reception from the crowd. I’m not sure it’s that weird tbh

It is weird to give a cameo to someone not in the plans in our final warmup game before the Euros when we have limited subs.

God I hope Gunn doesn’t get injured. I think it’s a mistake not taking Gordon, he’s much the best of the rest of the options. 

Still apparently if your keeper gets injured you can call up another one anyway, so maybe it might be ok in the end. I don’t fancy starting any games with Clark or Kelly in goal.

5 minutes ago, DC92 said:

The squad contains two players, Jack and Hanley, who are both in the twilight of their careers and have hardly played this season, particularly in the last few months. They have both been picked based on performances from over a year ago and the same question marks exist over whether they are still as good. In fact, there are probably bigger question marks over their fitness given Gordon has been fit and available since December in contrast to the repeated breakdowns we've seen in the other two.

It doesn't seem a big leap to suggest Clarke would apply the same logic to Gordon, particularly when the drop-off in ability to the alternative is so drastic.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

Firstly, since Gordon has returned to fitness Clark has done basically nothing to deserve being dropped.

Naismith was also explicitly aware that both players had ambitions of getting into the squad and implied that he'd be dividing their game time to maximise their chances of both getting in.

The compromise was that Clark would continue as the league goalkeeper and Gordon would play the cup games. This resulted in Gordon starting our biggest game of the season against Rangers at Hampden, something he was very unlikely to do if he wasn't confident in his abilities. I'm certain Gordon would've also started the final if we'd got there.

Anyway, it's done now and there have been rumours that Clarke was leaning Kelly's way for a few weeks, so it's not a massive surprise. Hopefully we don't need him.

Well it appears it was a 'massive surprise' to nearly everyone on this forum, who even yesterday still thought Gordon was going. Two or three of them still insist he's going now despite all the major news outlets reporting it.

Personally I think Jack's lucky to be in but I guess he provides an option we dont really have elsewhere. Without disagreeing massively about Hanley, I think its clear Clarke wants him playing if he can. If he proves his fitness I still think he'll start at the expense of Porteous.

Ultimately I dont think Naismith did Gordon any favours. In playing him in about 4 matches of consequence only he left him isolated. They didnt 'share' gametime, he threw Gordon a bone and hoped it was enough. I posted several times in January that Naismith would effectively make the call and he has. Short of playing them both about a dozen times in the 2nd half of the season, whichever one Hearts played would go and the other one was in a poor position. I said then if Gordon was to go he needed to go out on loan and play every week. Selfishly I'm glad they didnt but Hearts could have recalled Harry Stone from us to sit on the bench and let Gordon go somewhere to get 20 odd games. 

As I said above, when Clarke himself didnt even give him a half against Northern Ireland when he was crying out for pitch time, the writing was on the wall.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

The additions of Morgan and Conway are very interesting, I thought Clarke may have played it safe by keeping all his CB's for example. I'm glad he put in a couple of attackers as we are crying out for creative players to freshen up this squad and Forrest didn't look overly impressive in the Gilbraltar game and you would assume he would be one of the first players to be brought on if we are chasing a game. 

Gordon missing out is no big deal, he's 41 so about time we move on to the future. I hope from next year onwards, we integrate a quality youngster with potential into the squad to get him ready to take over in the next few years

Chances are that Conway and Morgan get very lttëe game time. So they are inconquessational to our ovetall  performance in the Euros.

Edited by Highlandmagar

5 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Chances are that Conway and Morgan get very lttëe game time. So they are inconquessational to our ovetall  performance in the Euros.

I think Morgan might. We have no real width other than Forrest.  If we are trying to change a game I can see him getting an appearance 

Just now, Tony Wonder said:

I think Morgan might. We have no real width other than Forrest.  If we are trying to change a game I can see him getting an appearance 

IMO. Forrest would be first choice. Then a poor second would be Morgan.

10 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Did you lift that from a Rangers statement?

2 hours ago, MarkoP said:

Such a joke that Germany will now be the only team in our group without representation from that league?

Yes. One is Xendan Shaquiri, he's went there to swan about as a wee chubby 30odd year old. The Hungary guy is some jobber who's stats went wild when he joined a league where they don't defend and the goalies have no hands.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Craig MacGillivray is a better keeper playing regularly at a higher level than either of those two, Cieran Slicker seems like the next hope for the future. There’s Jon McCracken as well. 

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

You are oot yer tits and trying too hard.