Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

What’s the script with if someone gets injured whilst at the tournament? Is there a cut off that a replacement can be drafted in? 

You can't replace an outfield player once you've played a game. If they get injured you cope without them. You're allowed to replace a keeper though and I think you can replace an outfield player after official squad naming deadline but before you kick a ball if they are medically certified as injured.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

18 of the guys in that provisional squad aren't on Sportscene every weekend, unless they've started showing FC Copenhagen, Real Sociedad, Al-Ettifaq and Bristol City on there when I wasn't looking.

Yawn ....... you get the gist. He's been away from eyes regularly on his game for near enough 10 years minus a loan back for half a season.

Edited by Vietnam91

Chuffed for Doak and McCrorie would have liked to see Johnstone also in the mix but decent squad.

Kelly and one of the injury prone Rangers players to be dropped surely. 

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Why would Hanley need to prove fitness? He's been on Norwich's bench the last 4 or 5 games. He's certainly closer to fitness than Doak or Jack. There are question marks about Hanley's level at the moment, not about his physical fitness.

Aye, my wording wasn't very clear. Match-sharpness/level in doubt for Hanley of course, as it is for the others you mention. I doubt Clarke would pick Doak at this point if he wasn't set on him making the final squad. Why bother with the media questions otherwise?

It just seems to me that CB is the position that looks most oversubscribed other than GK, and Hanley's the one there who hasn't had much game time. Cooper perhaps as well, but there's always talk of how influential he is.

Jack looked miles off the pace when he came on against Norway. Doubt that's improved given he's barely kicked a ball since.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Outrageous.

Real Ceefax would've had us staring at the goalkeepers' names for ages before moving on to the defenders, half of which would've been corrupted by a poor signal. We'd have needed to wait for the page to come around the horn again, exacerbated by several pages of needless commentary tagged onto the end.

^ ^

Never worked out how to 'pause' the page on Ceefax.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You can't replace an outfield player once you've played a game. If they get injured you cope without them. You're allowed to replace a keeper though and I think you can replace an outfield player after official squad naming deadline but before you kick a ball if they are medically certified as injured.

Scotland's doctor for all medical certification requirement's...

season 7 episode 21 GIF

5 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

If Hickey and Ferguson were fit who'd drop out? Ralston and Jack?

I saw what Max Johnstone did for us last season as a rapid RB I'd have him in, 3 years ago Gilmour got a nod off the back of the Dutch friendly and was a standout. He showed what limited game time at your club shouldn't always be a thing. It's for that reason I have no issue with Doak too.

Feel a bit for Ryan Gauld, seems he can't cut a break when you're not on Sportscene every weekend. I'd have Ryan Fraser but as mentioned, seems there's more to it.

Out of that lot, for the two to be jettisoned I'd drop Kelly (even if we are due a kickback) and Jack. Souttar because he was beyond woeful in Amsterdam for Max Johnstone.

Gauld very much needs to give up and embrace Canada. It's clear he's not considered good enough for Scotland, and playing for his adopted country at a World Cup would be a real career highlight when (one way or another) he won't be there with Scotland anyway.

8 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

I saw what Max Johnstone did for us last season as a rapid RB I'd have him in, 3 years ago Gilmour got a nod off the back of the Dutch friendly and was a standout. He showed what limited game time at your club shouldn't always be a thing. It's for that reason I have no issue with Doak too.

Feel a bit for Ryan Gauld, seems he can't cut a break when you're not on Sportscene every weekend. I'd have Ryan Fraser but as mentioned, seems there's more to it.

Out of that lot, for the two to be jettisoned I'd drop Kelly (even if we are due a kickback) and Jack. Souttar because he was beyond woeful in Amsterdam for Max Johnstone.

Ful5VmEWAAEUUpd.jpeg.3d38209392ac1ebcfbf0efdfdd7ea9af.jpeg

Death, taxes and Ryan Gauld discourse at every squad announcement. 

Posted (edited)

Kelly has made the career decision to retire on the Rangers bench and Armstrong's career highlight is setting up Kane for a last minute equaliser at Hampden.

Those two should be cut.

Edited by SlayerX

Just now, SlayerX said:

Clark has made the career decision to retire on the Rangers bench and Armstrong's career highlight is setting up Kane for a last minute equaliser at Hampden.

Those two should be cut.

Clark a Rangers player on the quiet?

Sack him now!

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

Ful5VmEWAAEUUpd.jpeg.3d38209392ac1ebcfbf0efdfdd7ea9af.jpeg

Death, taxes and Ryan Gauld discourse at every squad announcement. 

I'd rather have him than Ryan Jack who hasn't had a good game since Dortmund away in the Europa.

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

^ ^

Never worked out how to 'pause' the page on Ceefax.

200.gif?cid=6c09b952oc0mp8rbgkiv9c37dk4c

Sorcery! Reveal your secrets!

TBF, that doesn't exactly help when the page has been received as a bunch of ASCII gobbledegook anyway.

8 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Really don't think Doak is anywhere near the level to be able to contribute, but I'm fine with him being there, it's worth taking a punt on giving him experience on the chance he ends up being a good player. As someone else said above, a pacy option to play in the front 2 is nice too.

I don't really understand the Doak pick unless either the sparse info coming out from Liverpool about his fitness was just miles wrong and he's way ahead of what they were saying or Clarke's fully expecting everyone else to be fit and is just bringing him along for the ride for the friendlies and will jettison him from the final 26.

A fit Ben Doak makes a lot of sense in this expanded squad regardless of whether he's playing first team football or not. A player who hasn't played a game in 2024 and has supposedly done one training session, does not.

6 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

If Hickey was fit McCrorie wouldn't be there. That's obvious surely? Ralston's been in squads consistently, McCrorie hasn't. McCrorie's in that squad as a right back, not as a midfielder.

I suspect either Doak or Forrest if Ferguson was fit rather than Jack. The only reason Jack's a doubt is his own fitness.

Personally, as someone who watched Max Johnston at 17 stand out for us at Championship level for a season, I thought then he'd play for Scotland one day and I've seen not a thing to change my mind since. I'd have him ahead of McCrorie but in reality that's just personal bias as I haven't really seen much of McCrorie at right back so not in a position to properly judge (neither have I seem Max since he moved to Austria for that matter).