Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

10 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Have some Airbnb confirmations and dialogue ongoing. Found a room in Munich tonight, 1 king-sized bed and 1 sofa bed 25 min walk (4 min by taxi) from fan park. £101:for me and my mate.  Apparent on 2 UBhan stations near by and only 15 mins to city centre.

If you haven't been to Munich before it's pretty easy to get around, so I wouldn't worry too much about distance.

Just Tripadvisor a hotel near it on their map and see what they say about the location so you aren't in a dodgy bit of town, because there are some belters!

On 04/12/2023 at 16:50, Dunfermline Don said:

I am holding off to see what AT Mays are going to offer this time. 🤔

I still have fond memories of spending 2 days on a bus going to Italy and not actually reaching the accommodation at around 2am the morning after the Costa Rica game.😂

And fond memories of the Casa Del Bimbo, if memory serves me right the rumour at the time was they had kicked all the orphans out of the orphanage to put us up for 2 weeks. 🤣

Is anyone in Germany for the opening game but not heading to Munich? Our flight lands in Cologne at 3pm on the Friday, so wouldn't make it to Munich in time for KO. Wondering if it's worth changing travel plans or just heading to pubs/fanzone in Cologne.

We had these flights booked a few months ago for £210 return and thought we were well covered as Cologne is fairly central. Incredibly unlucky that the one draw that would scunner us has happened. 

Edited by lanky_ffc

41 minutes ago, alonso said:

And fond memories of the Casa Del Bimbo, if memory serves me right the rumour at the time was they had kicked all the orphans out of the orphanage to put us up for 2 weeks. 🤣

That was the rumours we heard as well.  The food there was also pretty grim, just pasta with a tomato sauce. We ended up getting pizzas in Rimini some of the time, though I think beer was our main consumption.

I still had a great time and wouldn’t swap the memories for anything, especially the game against Sweden. One of the best atmospheres I have been at for a game; before, during and after the match. 

38 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Is anyone in Germany for the opening game but not heading to Munich? Our flight lands in Cologne at 3pm on the Friday, so wouldn't make it to Munich in time for KO. Wondering if it's worth changing travel plans or just heading to pubs/fanzone in Cologne.

We had these flights booked a few months ago for £210 return and thought we were well covered as Cologne is fairly central. Incredibly unlucky that the one draw that would scunner us has happened. 

I've seen folk on the TA facebook that aren't travelling down based in Cologne, Dusseldorf and Frankfurt so you won't be alone.

I was in Berlin for the World Cup in Russia and the fanzone when Germany playing was a cracking laugh so I think you will be grand just going there with all the Germans.

4 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Aye, few of us going to be in Cologne for the opening game. Fanzone should be good and is imagine the whole atmosphere in any host city for the opener will be phenomenal 

4 hours ago, GuyIncognito said:

Transport now booked. Unfortunately will only be able to make the Hungary game now so getting train across on the Friday and back on the Monday. Hotel already booked in Stuttgart.

https://www.seat61.com/ This website was also really useful if anyone else is thinking of getting the train across.

They’re releasing train deals for ticket holders in January as well I believe. Can travel between any two points in Germany for €30.

Do some research on how much the intercity trains normally cost for the journey you're making as they go on sale 6 months beforehand and the deals for match ticket holders are limited without much detail as to how limited.  By the time January 17th comes around if you miss out then prices may have went up for normal fares. There's a couple of trains I'm getting that I'm just planning on booking in December and not taking the chance.

The deal for ticket holders is only up until 10am the day after the game and that's arriving at your destination, not when the train leaves so unless you want to get up early after the game then it also might be worthwhile booking in December.

38 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Do some research on how much the intercity trains normally cost for the journey you're making as they go on sale 6 months beforehand and the deals for match ticket holders are limited without much detail as to how limited.  By the time January 17th comes around if you miss out then prices may have went up for normal fares. There's a couple of trains I'm getting that I'm just planning on booking in December and not taking the chance.

The deal for ticket holders is only up until 10am the day after the game and that's arriving at your destination, not when the train leaves so unless you want to get up early after the game then it also might be worthwhile booking in December.

Aye the normal fares between the cities Scotland will be playing in seem to be around €45

46 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I think the 10am part refers to connections onto regional trains, see “Which trains can I travel on?” https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/special-offers/fan-ticket-football

Can’t see any other reference to 10am.

46 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I think the 10am part refers to connections onto regional trains, see “Which trains can I travel on?” https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/special-offers/fan-ticket-football

Can’t see any other reference to 10am.

It isn't clear, as local transport will be free till 6pm.

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/news/0286-19407e1254d7-16b5c6fe87dd-1000--public-transport-included-for-uefa-euro-2024-match-ticket-ho/

euro24_mobi_map.png?imwidth=988

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm tempted to buy an interrail pass now instead of waiting for the 25% off on Jan 17th, there's currently a 10% off deal so you'd be losing 15% but you could ahead and book the train seats as soon as they're available. And you wouldn't have to stick to whatever traveling time rules they have for the Euro deals.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/one-country-pass/german-rail-pass

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm tempted to buy an interrail pass now instead of waiting for the 25% off on Jan 17th, there's currently a 10% off deal so you'd be losing 15% but you could ahead and book the train seats as soon as they're available. And you wouldn't have to stick to whatever traveling time rules they have for the Euro deals.

P.S. It's cheaper here..

https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/interrail

If you want to book a seat on a German high speed train it costs 4 euros extra, but it's not compulsory.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think that’s separate. I understand it as:

Matchday local travel: 6am matchday - 6pm following day free of charge. 

Long distance travel: from any point in Germany to/from a host city between 12th June - 16th July for €29.90 one way.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

P.S. I got a bit freaked out after buying a pass when it said you can't book a train until 90 days before travel, but thankfully it looks like you can book seats directly on Deutsche Bahn without an individual ticket. As usual The Man in Seat 61 came to the rescue:

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#Germany

It's definitely worth reading what he's got to say before jumping in with both feet like me.

https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/Seat-reservation-and-other

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

Edited by welshbairn

Final P.S. I don't see any point in buying an InterRail pass before the January discount date when you can book seats direct from Deutsche Bahn without buying a train ticket. I'm trying to cancel my order.

BTW I majorly fucked up with this, turns out the special 10% discount was for a pass that has to be used at the latest by the month following February 29th, instead of the standard 11 months. I didn't even know that it was a fucking leap year..:lol: 

Edited by welshbairn