March and June friendlies

Donathan

34 minutes ago, shivute said:

Barnes clearly wants to pursue England given his interview a couple of weeks ago.

Hes also injured.

Ahead of the squad announcement, the percentage game time (01-Feb to 11-Mar) of all our players at club level is listed below. Players who missed their last club game due to injury are McGregor, Hickey, Jack, Brown and Nisbet. 

Spoiler

image.png.e7028d36fcc1d18a514697ad4e87e3df.png

Edited by 2426255

5 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Really don't get the 4 keepers, very strange. As expected for the rest

10 defenders seems a bit much as well. I suppose you could argue it's two for each position. 

He's named four goalkeepers a few times before, albeit once was to cover for Zander Clark getting married during an international break. I don't really see a problem with it as it's not like it's using up an outfielder's spot.

It's clearly the best squad available and will hopefully be the one that goes to the Euros (with Hickey and McGregor instead of Kelly, Ralston + two of the defenders). 

18 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Really don't get the 4 keepers, very strange. As expected for the rest

12 minutes ago, Darren said:

10 defenders seems a bit much as well. I suppose you could argue it's two for each position. 

Just kicking the can down the road basically. I expected it. If he leaves Gordon out at this stage when he's fit it's harder to bring him back in the final Euros squad. If he leaves Kelly out (Clark and Gunn were certainties) then he knows he's very much behind Gordon and is potentially demotivated. He won't take 4 keepers to Germany. In June he's going to have to decide if Gordon has played enough football and is still fit enough to displace Kelly. He'll be hoping Gordon gets a lot more game time before then but I wouldn't be astonished if he starts him in one of the friendlies.

Same to an extent with Soutar and Cooper. Nothing to be gained by marginalising either right now when an injury or two (Hanley's not fully fit yet) might mean he needs them in June.

Same true of Ralston to be honest with a question mark hanging over Hickey, though that's more of a necessity anyway at this stage with only Patterson right sided. He was always going to pick two right backs in this window. Just a debate of whether the other was Ralston or Johnston. It's clearly still Ralston.

I don't think anyone seriously expected a commitment from any of the Newcastle Five but their absence in this squad effectively rules them out for the Euros. Basically the Euros 23 comes from the players in this squad add Hickey, McGregor and Jack. With an outside shout for the likes of Fraser, McBurnie, or a late fit Brown or Nisbet to get in if there are injuries in their positions.

Just now, Plymouth Par said:

4 goalkeepers and a stack of defenders but only 3 strikers ? Seems lopsided to me

So he should do what, call up strikers with no chance of going to Germany for the sake of a balanced squad? Whilst marginalising one of the keepers at this point unnecessarily? That would make no sense.

Was hoping Conway wouldve snuck in, but guess theres no point diluting game time for others if hes challenging them to become first choice for the opener.

Can tell its a good selection when the main complaints are an uncapped 26yo (27 in a few days) Plymouth striker isnt picked, or that a Celtic RB is.

Forever baffle me how over rated players get when theyre not selected.

Worth some people remembering that this is the last opportunity for Clarke to get a look at the squad before choosing his squad for the summer, as opposed to some calendar-fillers. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Seriously, what does Gauld have to do to get in the squad? I'd have him instead of Clark - in goals or midfield.

Apparently he's booked in for double shifts at Tim Horton's through June, so bit pointless calling him up now.

57 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Tony Ralston in an international squad in 2024, oof

Other than that, no surprises really 

If Hickey doesn’t make the squad for the Euros then I’d expect Ralston to be in the squad. Fully expected him to feature for these games. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

The squad is normal. It gives some insight though with a view to Euro-2024.

• 4 GK's tells me Clarke hasn't decided on the three for the Euros.
  • 7 CB's tells me something similar. The choice will come from the players in the squad, but not sure who will miss out.
  • No midfielders were brought in to cover Jack or McGregor so that tells me that area is set for the Euro's. Maybe 1 to miss out.
  • Ralston and Shankland's selection are pecking order based. They always get a call up if there's been injuries to those ahead of them.
  • Strikers is still an open question for me. Maybe Shankland, maybe someone else or just Christie, Dykes and Adams - not sure.
  • Max Johnston, Ross McCrorie, Dom Hyam and Josh Doig will need a miracle to be on the plane to Germany.
Edited by 2426255