Tierney
Robertson

Christie
Gilmour

McGinn
McTominay
Armstrong

Adams.

Ryan Christie should be tried in the deeper role IMO. He's been very good in the EPL so his inclusion is warranted.

We can only field 11 players mate.

It's kind of all been said, but I'll be raging if Souttar is over looked for the squad, assuming he is fit. The lad has been hampered by injuries but it's my view that he is our best Centre Back who quite simply, we need with us.

19 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

It's kind of all been said, but I'll be raging if Souttar is over looked for the squad, assuming he is fit. The lad has been hampered by injuries but it's my view that he is our best Centre Back who quite simply, we need with us.

He'll go imo but won't start, can certainly do a job but not getting the crazy clamour for him. Hanley from what i hear won't make the Euros.

Defenders for me will be Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Patterson, Hendry, Porteous, Mckenna and Souttar. Clarke might supplement with a Cooper or Taylor but i'd rather we Bolstered elsewhere.

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

By us I'm guessing you mean the fans? From a fan perspective it would be interesting to see no doubt, but I don't think what fans want to see will factor into Clarke's thinking for the game.     

No, everyone from a Scotland perspective. I think it would be beneficial for the management team to see that as well.

The opinions of fans won’t come into Clarke’s thinking though, and rightly so.

53 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

No, everyone from a Scotland perspective. I think it would be beneficial for the management team to see that as well.

The opinions of fans won’t come into Clarke’s thinking though, and rightly so.

The Shankland scenario has got good potential for irritation and disappointment amongst the support when the lineup's announced tomorrow. Fans and Managers are so often on different wavelengths. As a fan, I'd find it fascinating if Shankland starts - but I haven't a clue whether it will be beneficial for the management to see that.

If he doesn't start then you have to assume it isn't beneficial enough. I'm expecting that he probably won't start. If that's how it plays out I'll assume there's logical reasoning behind it. That's all you can really do imo as we don't have the full picture.

Edited by 2426255

If Shankland doesn't start tomorrow then I can't see any way he'll have more than a sub role at the Euros. We'll learn nothing from him playing against NI and a couple of goals there will just drag out the matter. I say this as someone who would have Dykes and Adams ahead of Shankland anyway.

The way Carver talked about needing to get back to winning ways makes me think it unlikely that Clarke will start him.

Edited by TeeMan

14 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

If Shankland doesn't start tomorrow then I can't see any way he'll have more than a sub role at the Euros. We'll learn nothing from him playing against NI and a couple of goals there will just drag out the matter. I say this as someone who would have Dykes and Adams ahead of Shankland anyway.

The way Carver talked about needing to get back to winning ways makes me think it unlikely that Clarke will start him.

Why would we start him?

He’ll be used off the bench in Germany anyway, it might be for longer periods than previously but our game plan first half hour is not to concede Adams and Dykes are better at preventing teams building out from the back against us

I do expect Shankland to get more game time than previously though and to hopefully provide something the other two don’t 

His performance levels have definitely upped dramatically in the last year

21 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

Why would we start him?

He’ll be used off the bench in Germany anyway, it might be for longer periods than previously but our game plan first half hour is not to concede Adams and Dykes are better at preventing teams building out from the back against us

I do expect Shankland to get more game time than previously though and to hopefully provide something the other two don’t 

His performance levels have definitely upped dramatically in the last year

I don't think he will but that won't stop a large number of "Shankland can do everything Dykes can AND score goals" folk calling for him to start. Like I said, I'd start Dykes or Adams but even then I'd be interested to see how he did starting against a decent team - maybe his level is higher than I think.

10 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

I don't think he will but that won't stop a large number of "Shankland can do everything Dykes can AND score goals" folk calling for him to start. Like I said, I'd start Dykes or Adams but even then I'd be interested to see how he did starting against a decent team - maybe his level is higher than I think.

There's always a difference depending on interests. Fans want a clearer picture, the management have a fuller picture. If Shankland or Souttar start it won't be to give the fans a clearer idea. The Shankland stuff is just the same as what we've seen with Ryan Gauld, Hayden Hackney and all the rest - along the lines of let's see what they can do. 

21 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

There's always a difference depending on interests. Fans want a clearer picture, the management have a fuller picture. If Shankland or Souttar start it won't be to give the fans a clearer idea. The Shankland stuff is just the same as what we've seen with Ryan Gauld, Hayden Hackney and all the rest - along the lines of let's see what they can do. 

Which goes back to what I said, if Shankland doesn't start we can assume that Shankland isn't going to be a starter at the Euros but it won't stop fans and the media calling for him to be. If Clarke thinks Shankland can play that single striker role then he needs to see him against a decent team.

Worst case scenario for me having to deal with Hearts fans at my work is Shankland starting against NI and scoring a couple of goals and I really don't understand why Clarke doesn't prioritise my office environment.

Edited by TeeMan

4 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

If Clarke thinks Shankland can play that single striker role then he needs to see him against a decent team.

Yep, I understand that point of view - I just don't think that's how the management approach it for whatever reason. Maybe it will be different this time, but I'm not expecting it.

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I think Dykes will start against The Netherlands and Shankland will start against North Ireland.

Adams is generally his favoured striker if all fit tbf.

2 hours ago, paddymcp said:

Adams is generally his favoured striker if all fit tbf.

Not sure thats true. It depends on the opposition and venue. When the opposition are expected to dominate possession, as for instance Germany likely will, he's tended to go with Dykes.

29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure thats true. It depends on the opposition and venue. When the opposition are expected to dominate possession, as for instance Germany likely will, he's tended to go with Dykes.

In the 3 years and 27 caps that Che Adams has amassed, there are only 4 occasions that Dykes has started ahead of him in a competitive game. Two of those were early doors - Moldova and Czech Euro 2020 game. One home qualifier vs Ireland and then the Spain away game in recent campaign. 

Adams is almost always preferred to Dykes for the competitive games and in the two games against stronger opponents where he preferred Dykes, we lost them. 

7 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Dykes has of course had more than 4 competitive starts, but they have been due to Adams being injured or the few times they played together.

Adams is the number one striker in Steve Clarkes eyes for the competitive games.

Yeah, thats not as clear as you are implying.