The floodgates are shut! - ST J vs ‘Well

6 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

When Killie let Shaw go, I did think McInnes hadn't given him a fair chance, as he scored well in the Championship. Perhaps that is his level after all.

I haven't seen the miss, was it a one on one by any chance?

He was clean through on goal and decided to turn back into defenders trying to catch up rather than shoot at the massive gap at the side of the keeper. Just bizarre.

About as happy as you can be after chucking a 2 goal lead tbh. We're progressing every week at this stage and theres more than enough signs now to suggest we have a real chance of staying up. The defensive weaknesses are evident still but i think we sort them as Levein learns the players. Held off on subs too long i think as he wasnt sure exactly who'd fit best where. Liam Gordons been an absolute colossus the past 2 games which is massive.

So aye. Progress is progress, and thats now just 1 loss in 5 games.

11 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I haven't seen the miss, was it a one on one by any chance?

Essentially yes, He was put through and at about 18 yards out he had to either blooter a shot or square it for Bair to (try) knock it into an empty net.

He completely shat himself, over thought it and ended up too close with no pass on and turned back into the defenders.

Utter wage thief.

No complaints, Motherwell were positive in the second half and deserved their point.

Once we scored the first, we played decent for the rest of the first half but as said higher up, we were far too passive in the second half and did nothing to cause Motherwell any problems.

Thought Max got us on the hall and higher up the park after Well equalised.

ThTs two in a row we’ve started well, gone 2 up early but allowed teams to creep back into it. Would be great to be able to kill teams off.

Disappointed not to get three points, but small steps, and it’s now two unbeaten with a chance to get off the bottom next match.

Good to see us play proper football matches again where we are competitive snd actually attempt to score a goal now and then.

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Essentially yes, He was put through and at about 18 yards out he had to either blooter a shot or square it for Bair to (try) knock it into an empty net.

He completely shat himself, over thought it and ended up too close with no pass on and turned back into the defenders.

Utter wage thief.

I thought as much. It got to the point during our Championship season that if he was put through one on one I didn't even get out of my seat, as a miss was guaranteed.

He came on as a sub late on at Rugby Park on Saturday and I feared the worst, as these things often do, but I don't think he even touched the ball.

I was expecting a shite Motherwell team, but I didn’t expect them to be that shite - especially in the first half. We’re no world beaters ourselves though and a draw is a fair result.

Don’t have any stats to back it up but I feel we’re so poor at (and have been for two years or so) defending the second phase of corners/set pieces in general. Considine guilty this evening?

2 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

The fact he didn’t square the ball to Bair is more criminal than taking the shot on. 

Did Bair not miss an open goal from about 3 yards too?

Fairly sure he decided to slide in and it caught on his arse when he could've just stood still and tapped it in.

2 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Don’t have any stats to back it up but I feel we’re so poor at (and have been for two years or so) defending the second phase of corners/set pieces in general. Considine guilty this evening?

We've been dreadful at it this season. Couldn't assign any "blame" until seeing the goals back though, but its a bit disgraceful Wilkinson was left completely unmarked about 6 yards out for one of the goals.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Thought it was very cruel of the Saints fans to boo Theo.

Have to say that surprised me. Despite everything he was popular with the fans when he was here.

It will be Christmas soon and we'll still be a work in progress, but getting there slowly.

Thought Dan Philips looked done half way through the second half and between that and being on a yellow he should have been taken off but we didn't have a great bench tonight.

Guess DJ must be injured again?

Would like to see Smith's effort late in the second half again, looked like it needed a pretty good save. Thought he was generally very good again tonight.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've been dreadful at it this season. Couldn't assign any "blame" until seeing the goals back though, but its a bit disgraceful Wilkinson was left completely unmarked about 6 yards out for one of the goals.

Fairly sure we were honking at it last season as well. Maybe a bit hasty to say he’s the guilty party, but he’s the one I noticed (might not actually have been him) that was slow to get out and played everybody onside. 

I really enjoyed that from saints tonight. I know we threw it away, but a Davidson (and this season’s MacLean) side are not looking for a winner at the end there.

some great individual performances, Smith, Sprangler, and and Clark in particular were outstanding throughout. Thought Philips was too in first half, but as someone else said strength in depth is gonna kill us in some games!

How the fu j does Cammy Macpherson look the slowest/least reactive at the end there?! 😩🤯

I suppose if you were being critical of Saints tonight it was that Motherwell didn't get themselves back into the game as such, we just stopped playing and allowed them back in. Players ran out of steam and I suspect Levein didn't know the players well enough to make the changes quickly enough. Phillips and Clark were done and should have been off earlier.

Motherwell, once they got the first goal found some real confidence. If I was a Motherwell fan, I'd be concerned with the body language of the players after each Saints goal. Deffinately does not seem a team confudant in itself. Maybe the draw might kickstart something? A month ago, Saints lose that game, so the progress is there.

Levein and Kirk will have learnt a lot from that tonight. 3 points on Saturday would mean a great return from this tripple home game period, even a draw is not a horrific result. Livi play Rangers, so great opportunity for Saints to either leapfrog County and Livi or close the gap further on Livi and better their goal difference.