Dundee United v Arbroath

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Just read a bit in the Courier online that made me realise why Arbroath are pissed off.  It had never occurred to me about the part-time players issue.

I can now fully understand their annoyance.

I don't remember the greeting when they were on the TV on a Friday night plus, don't some people work Saturdays??

2 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

I don't remember the greeting when they were on the TV on a Friday night plus, don't some people work Saturdays??

I would imagine if you are a semi-professional football player you would avoid a job where Saturday working is involved as the vast majority of games are played on a Saturday.

2 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

We have no choice in regards to games on TV or being moved for the police - we did have a choice here and we said we didn’t want to, that was overruled by the SPFL. If clubs want to move scheduled fixtures then both teams should have to agree to it. 

And no people who play semi pro professional football where 95% of games are played on a Saturday do not work Saturdays

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We have no choice in regards to games on TV or being moved for the police - we did have a choice here and we said we didn’t want to, that was overruled by the SPFL. If clubs want to move scheduled fixtures then both teams should have to agree to it. 

And no people who play semi pro professional football where 95% of games are played on a Saturday do not work Saturdays

But Arbroath are happy to take the TV money? With no grumbles wether they have a choice or not 

Just now, Glen Scotia said:

But Arbroath are happy to take the TV money? With no grumbles wether they have a choice or not 

What do you mean we are happy to take TV money?

We literally have no choice and again how is that even relevant?

Not one club in this league has a choice in regards to the TV deal everyone just gets on with it (like we do it’s part and parcel of being in the division) I’m sure other clubs don’t like the Friday fixtures for other reasons too whether it’s for travelling or losing out on potential hospitality I dunno, but nobody has a choice. 

Everyone has a choice when clubs want to move scheduled games for other reasons though. Both teams have to agree to that, if both teams do not agree the game does not get moved.

That is fair and what should and usually does happen. The fact it has not happened here is what the issue is, it doesn’t matter whether it’s a part time club or a full time club.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What do you mean we are happy to take TV money?

We literally have no choice and again how is that even relevant?

Not one club in this league has a choice in regards to the TV deal everyone just gets on with it (like we do it’s part and parcel of being in the division) I’m sure other clubs don’t like the Friday fixtures for other reasons too whether it’s for travelling or losing out on potential hospitality I dunno, but nobody has a choice. 

Everyone has a choice when clubs want to move scheduled games for other reasons though. Both teams have to agree to that, if both teams do not agree the game does not get moved.

That is fair and what should and usually does happen. The fact it has not happened here is what the issue is, it doesn’t matter whether it’s a part time club or a full time club.

Well Arbroath can stamp their feet and say they aren't happy with Friday night TV games bur they don't. 

1 minute ago, Glen Scotia said:

Well Arbroath can stamp their feet and say they aren't happy with Friday night TV games bur they don't. 

f**k me man. Why would we stamp our feet about that? Why would anyone? It would not make a difference and it is not decided by Arbroath or any of the other clubs in this division. 

I give up. 

Expecting a hiding if the game goes ahead but hopefully it is on and we can pull something out the bag when it is least expected. 

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'd be more shocked if this game is on than if it isn't.

Don't think this rain is going to let up over the day and I don't think they've had covers on.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Tannadice doesn’t get waterlogged very often?

1 hour ago, Glen Scotia said:

Game very much in doubt I'd imagine. The tunnel corner being the issue.

Is the game actually in doubt tonight? Been a long time since we had a game called off for a waterlogged pitch. I can't recall the last one. Maybe the Rangers game which was abandoned at half time.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

f**k me man. Why would we stamp our feet about that? Why would anyone? It would not make a difference and it is not decided by Arbroath or any of the other clubs in this division. 

I give up. 

Expecting a hiding if the game goes ahead but hopefully it is on and we can pull something out the bag when it is least expected. 

So Arbroath when they start the season know they will play 1, 2, 3 etc Friday night games a season. Therefore as part time club need to take that into their planning. Its not as if we have requested a Wednesday night fixture 

33 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think Tannadice is magic, Dens too - but a sold out Tannadice tonight literally means from the corner flag where the tunnel is to the corner flag diagonal to it infront of the shed. Half the ground, the main stand where the dugouts are lets it down.

I prefer Tannadice and Dens to Rugby Park but not sure by what measure Tannadice would be a better stadium than Rugby Park is 

Ask the earthworms and you'll have your answer.

8 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

So Arbroath when they start the season know they will play 1, 2, 3 etc Friday night games a season. Therefore as part time club need to take that into their planning. Its not as if we have requested a Wednesday night fixture 

We do. Just like we did last year when QP had to play Friday nights and that was organised before the fixtures were released. This was not scheduled as a Friday night or midweek fixture, this was not moved for the TV, this was not moved for police reasons. This was moved purely because Dundee United wanted to move it. The fact that these are not the same things is clearly too difficult for you to grasp

5 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Ask the earthworms and you'll have your answer.

Yeah the pitch is shite but probably helped contribute to me celebrating my favourite ever goal, no sure James Craigens effort spins over the line on a grass park….

I prefer Tannadice and Dens they are proper grounds and being from around here and having spent time living in the city and having worked in Dundee for however long now I think they’re both cool as f**k being on same street etc and the character the grounds have but Rugby Park on paper beats them. Wasn’t trying to have a dig at either by the way it was just in response to Glen Scotia who seems to think we play most of our games down the local parks.

14 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

When the season starts , Arbroath know they will have 2 Friday night games because of the TV deal.Every team has 2 home fixture s on TV,and everyone gets the same money at the end of the season.You might get the odd season where we might play 3 if we are chosen as an away team for a TV game.

27 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We do. Just like we did last year when QP had to play Friday nights and that was organised before the fixtures were released. This was not scheduled as a Friday night or midweek fixture, this was not moved for the TV, this was not moved for police reasons. This was moved purely because Dundee United wanted to move it. The fact that these are not the same things is clearly too difficult for you to grasp

Yeah the pitch is shite but probably helped contribute to me celebrating my favourite ever goal, no sure James Craigens effort spins over the line on a grass park….

I prefer Tannadice and Dens they are proper grounds and being from around here and having spent time living in the city and having worked in Dundee for however long now I think they’re both cool as f**k being on same street etc and the character the grounds have but Rugby Park on paper beats them. Wasn’t trying to have a dig at either by the way it was just in response to Glen Scotia who seems to think we play most of our games down the local parks.

I absolutely grasp the difference between a Friday night game due to TV and a Friday night game as a clubs request. What I'm not sure you are grasping is the "reason" Dick gave and that was, some of his players are working. He (and you) have never once mentioned, moaned, greeted or complained about a Friday night TV game involving Arbroath. EVEN if they know that at that the start ofmo season it's still a Friday night game, with the same players doing the same jobs.

I kbow as an Arbroath fan you wont care about United's dinances but This 'celebration' from United has brought in money to the club through merchandise sales, tonight's game wouldn't have the same numbers going along if it was a 'normal' fixture and the celebration of a club's history  (any club) should be backed and welcomed by all. 

I'm sure if Dick was told that he has the chance to play at full stadium on a Friday night to celebrate Arbroaths record win and it will help swell the players coffers he would jump at the chance 

5 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

I absolutely grasp the difference between a Friday night game due to TV and a Friday night game as a clubs request. What I'm not sure you are grasping is the "reason" Dick gave and that was, some of his players are working. He (and you) have never once mentioned, moaned, greeted or complained about a Friday night TV game involving Arbroath. EVEN if they know that at that the start ofmo season it's still a Friday night game, with the same players doing the same jobs.

I kbow as an Arbroath fan you wont care about United's dinances but This 'celebration' from United has brought in money to the club through merchandise sales, tonight's game wouldn't have the same numbers going along if it was a 'normal' fixture and the celebration of a club's history  (any club) should be backed and welcomed by all. 

I'm sure if Dick was told that he has the chance to play at full stadium on a Friday night to celebrate Arbroaths record win and it will help swell the players coffers he would jump at the chance 

You still don’t get the difference how is that possible.

Also it’s not Dundee Uniteds fault that the club are annoyed - the SPFL is the one at fault.

Think we are all well aware what the reason is for United wanting to move it, it sounds daft from an outsider’s perspective hence why some people have taken the piss a wee bit. 

But it is not Uniteds fault the SPFL sided with them and completely dismissed what Arbroath wanted. 

Are Dundee Hibernian still trying to pretend they are the good guys in this situation?  Its been quite an impressive squandering of any possible goodwill.  

I expect they will win the league fairly comfortably, and then I'm looking forward to their fans complaining about Old Firm bias next season, with absolutely no self awareness.

40 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Hats off to @Glen Scotia for some sublime wind up techniques.  Don’t mind this being tonight. Means I can do some chores tomorrow. Where is the easiest place to park without the risk of receiving a parking ticket ?

North Ellen Street, North Wellington Street, St Salvador Street area - get there in good time and should be fine there

Edited by 1320Lichtie