Hibernian v Celtic

A 3.00 kick off on a Saturday, away day in Edinburgh, looking forward to a wee sesh on the supporters bus through and afterwards in one or two auld reekie boozers before a train home.

Was commenting to my mate yesterday that, in recent years, regardless of the form of the two Edinburgh sides we have always had a harder game at Easter Road than Tynecastle, statistics seem to back this up although, thankfully unlike the dead rubber at the end of the season we won't have Scott Bain or Kobiyashi playing.

Based on how unpredictable Hibs can be and their decent record against us at home I'd take any kind of win here so I'm going for a 2-1 win for the Champions with O'Riley and Hatate on target .

9 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Yep. Would rather Monty start Boruc than risk Marshall making another mistake. 

I do think Marshall is done. He should have retired in the summer for the easy life of SkySports punditry where he is very good on Scotland games. However 2 of the goals he lost on Saturday were absolutely abysmal. but that's not new as  anyone that saw the goal he lost last time we were in Perth would concur. I've huge respect for him though. He had the guts to leave Celtic when he was being overlooked and he always showed for international duty when the Scotland team was  dreadful and he'll always be the Scotland hero of Belgrade. But whilst he will get away with it most of the time against the non OF teams his mistakes against the weegies are usually crucial.

Boruc is very young to be getting thrown in and the other keeper Wallacot I know very little about.

Edited by AndyM

8 minutes ago, AndyM said:

I do think Marshall is done. He should have retired in the summer. 2 of the goals he lost on Saturday were absolutely abysmal. However that's not new, anyone that saw the goal he lost last time we were in Perth would concur.

Boruc is very young to be getting thrown in and the other keeper Wallacot I know very little about.

Is Boruc's nephew no longer second choice? Given Marshall lost his place to to Boruc at Celtic I thought it would become a strange bit of trivia for him to lose it to his nephew about 2 decades later.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Is Boruc's nephew no longer second choice? Given Marshall lost his place to to Boruc at Celtic I thought it would become a strange bit of trivia for him to lose it to his nephew about 2 decades later.

Boruc was brought in as 3rd keeper. He is really young. The other keeper Wallacot was supposed to challenge Marshall for the gloves but he got injured in one of the early European games early on so Boruc has been back up to Marshall ever since July.  

7 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

If I'm Monty, I'm keeping the same side in a free hit match like Celtic and then replacing Jeggo with Levitt and Marshall with JoJo for the Ross County game. 

The defence is any 4 from 8. They're all poor.  

Afraid thats just throwing the points away against Celtics midfield 3 (who are better than Rangers ones).

We need to drop a striker and add Levitt in to give us more in that area.

I think we are ok at fullback and RCH, our major problem is the Hanlon / Rocky LCH axis of awfulness.............................

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Afraid thats just throwing the points away against Celtics midfield 3 (who are better than Rangers ones).

I think we are ok at fullback and RCH, our major problem is the Hanlon / Rocky LCH axis of awfulness.............................

For what it’s worth, I felt that Hibs done well to work the ball out from the back on a few occasions on Saturday. As you mention, I think having an extra midfielder in there will help in giving that extra option, as too often the midfield lanes were cut off which resulted in Hibs going all the way back to the keeper and kicking long.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Fish is doing very well to escape criticism in that case. At fullback both Miller and Obita are slow. We don't have a quality defender in our squad. 

16 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

Fish is doing very well to escape criticism in that case. At fullback both Miller and Obita are slow. We don't have a quality defender in our squad. 

Miller has been decent this season but I agree Tommy about the defenders. Hopefully we sort it out in January. 

Guest DannyBlue
On 23/10/2023 at 22:41, Crawford Bridge said:

I'm sick of Marshall but is it wise to throw a new 'keeper in versus the best side in the league?

I think so, gotta be worth a try. At this point, it's probably worse for the guy's confidence if Marshall keeps getting selected over him.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/exclusive-hibs-boss-on-tactical-criticism-confused-pundits-and-keeping-the-faith-for-celtic-test-4386296

4-4-2 it looks like for Saturday again. 

Either Monty is going be a genius or we’re getting hammered. 

11 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/exclusive-hibs-boss-on-tactical-criticism-confused-pundits-and-keeping-the-faith-for-celtic-test-4386296
4-4-2 it looks like for Saturday again. 
Either Monty is going be a genius or we’re getting hammered. 

Im not sure its this, but the issue - and it will probably be exposed on Saturday as it was last week - is that against a better midfield, unless the wingbacks work incredibly hard, we are exposed.

While Boyle can play that role covering with Miller, Youan can be guilty of not covering Obita and the opposition midfield and attackers are doubling up on us.

I sincerely hope he has a plan B if Youan has "one of those games" otherwise Celtic will skelp us.

Edited by Leith Green