2034 Men’s World Cup

Granny Danger

Don’t know if this has been raised elsewhere but it looks like it’s going to Saudi as they are the only bidder.

FIFA have no shame and many palms will be greased.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/31/saudi-arabia-2034-mens-world-cup-human-rights

It's OK though, Jordan Henderson is going to educate everyone out there. Except when his club takes a photo of him wearing a rainbow armband and makes it black and white. 

It's in no way similar to Qatar though, because Saudi has such a fervent fan base, as evidenced by the huge crowd of 696 at Al Ettifaq against Al Riyadh the other day. Good old FIFA, makes me want to dust off the old United Passions DVD.

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Hopefully this particular tournament never takes place.

Oh, it'll happen, even if FIFA have to put out 47 scab teams of Saudi amateurs.

Quo vadis, FIFA. They've always loved a good despotic regime - you can always rely on the fascists to do whatever's necessary to their own people to ensure a profitable tournament, but I'm not sure who has the combination of brutal authoritarianism and massive cash reserves that haven't already been recently tapped. The UK will likely meet the former criteria by 2038, but will definitely be lacking in the latter.

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Oh, it'll happen, even if FIFA have to put out 47 scab teams of Saudi amateurs.

Quo vadis, FIFA. They've always loved a good despotic regime - you can always rely on the fascists to do whatever's necessary to their own people to ensure a profitable tournament, but I'm not sure who has the combination of brutal authoritarianism and massive cash reserves that haven't already been recently tapped. The UK will likely meet the former criteria by 2038, but will definitely be lacking in the latter.

😂

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t know if this has been raised elsewhere but it looks like it’s going to Saudi as they are the only bidder.

FIFA have no shame and many palms will be greased.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/31/saudi-arabia-2034-mens-world-cup-human-rights

Hi m8, can you change the title to FIFA World Cup or just World Cup for the sake of accuracy? Ta. 🙂

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

2028 Euros: GB and Ireland

Solidarity with innocent women and children being massacred by the IDF = hating Jews.

Etc etc

Surely Israel should be getting banned from all sport like Russia 

I don't get this. I remember about 10 years ago England were utterly desperate to host it. They sent the 🤢 "Three Lions" of Beckham, Prince William and David Cameron to try to win the bid. Failed utterly. 

So...why not put in for 2034? Surely a lot of countries would go for England over Saudi. Or even a joint British bid - we have the stadiums. We have the infrastructure. We have an insane print media that would go full Dad's Army at the prospect. We don't need to kill migrants to build anything. 

24 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I don't get this. I remember about 10 years ago England were utterly desperate to host it. They sent the 🤢 "Three Lions" of Beckham, Prince William and David Cameron to try to win the bid. Failed utterly. 

So...why not put in for 2034? Surely a lot of countries would go for England over Saudi. Or even a joint British bid - we have the stadiums. We have the infrastructure. We have an insane print media that would go full Dad's Army at the prospect. We don't need to kill migrants to build anything. 

Remember the furious outrage about England's bid for 2018 being cuffed at the first hurdle, despite supposedly being assured that they were a shoo-in? There were dark mutterings about setting up an alternative breakaway to FIFA, not because FIFA is corrupt, but because they weren't corrupt enough in England's favour.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

England weren't eligible to bid for 2034 because 2030 will be in Europe.

Aye, but if anyone had the cash to double the Saudi bungs, it would be in their country regardless.

Perhaps the Saudi record on human rights would suddenly have become an issue.