Miscellaneous football nostalgia pictures

Flybhoy

I'm a bit of a nostalgia freak when it comes to sport, music, films etc especially pertaining to the era's around my childhood, there is a cracking thread on the Premiership forum for nostalgic pictures of Scottish football from the recent and distant past which I thoroughly enjoy reading and posting in.

Thought I'd start one here for non  Scottish football related stuff for nostalgia geeks like me.

To kick off, here's a cracking picture of Marco Van Basten celebrating his opening goal of a hat trick against England at Euro 88 in the then West Germany, love the sea of oranje clad Netherlands supporters in the background, think the other player is Jan Wouters who was a coach at Rangers for a spell later on

FB_IMG_1699648227408.jpg

One of first football matches I ever remember watching on TV was the second leg of the 1984 UEFA Cup final between Tottenham and Anderlecht, the North London side winning on penalties thanks partly to the heroics of then rookie goalkeeper Tony Parkes, unsure why Ray Clemence wasn't playing, back then you were lucky to get half a dozen live matches a year up in Scotland in a non international championship year, the two domestic cup finals and two or three Scotland games was about your lot.

Being aged 7 than and beginning to get into football I remember the thrill of seeing this, followed in the space of a week or two the Aberdeen v Celtic Scottish Cup final and Liverpool winning the European Cup against Roma in the Italians own stadium. 

Tony Parkes went on to play a spell at Falkirk and a couple of decades later Anderlecht received a European ban after it emerged they had bribed the referee in their semi final against Nottingham Forest in this tournament. 

20231110_204743.jpg

2000.jpg

Referee Perluigi Collina consoles a distraught Samuel Kuffour at the end of Manchester United's incredible smash and grab Champions League final win against Bayern Munich in Barcelona on 1999, Dwight Yorke looks exhausted as a disbelieving David Beckham and Jens Jeremies look on.

FB_IMG_1699650452535.jpg

I like this photo, in the season Gullit and Cruyff played (and won the double) together at Feyenoord.

As someone who grew up in the 90s I was kinda surprised they crossed over. And I also kinda like that that the way the photo is framed you don't see the sponsor on Cruyff's shirt, it's a bit (maybe very!) tenuous  but adds to the two different eras coming together (also with the Dutch team starting to see people with Surinamese and their other colonies backgrounds getting into the national team).

ESgzV6FWsAIPJa8.jpg

Edited by The Holiday Song

22 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

I like this photo, in the season Gullit and Cruyff played (and won the double) together at Feyenoord.

As someone who grew up in the 90s I was kinda surprised they crossed over. And I also kinda like that that the way the photo is framed you don't see the sponsor on Cruyff's shirt, it's a bit (maybe very!) tenuous  but adds to the two different eras coming together (also with the Dutch team starting to see people with Surinamese and their other colonies backgrounds getting into the national team).

ESgzV6FWsAIPJa8.jpg

I had no idea Cruyff had played for Feyenoord. Now reading all about it.

Ajax didn't offer him a new contract so he immediately fucked off to one of their biggest rivals and helped them win the double :lol:

16 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Ajax didn't offer him a new contract so he immediately fucked off to one of their biggest rivals and helped them win the double :lol:

Yeah, he ended up back at Ajax for a year or so at the end of his career. 

10 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

10 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

And Gullit then transferred to PSV, which must've severely irritated the Feyenoord fans.  Here's Ruud soaring above Louis van Gaal.

image.thumb.png.5f889681e719e247bb4a5798d8235d65.png

Roy Keane doesn't look overly impressed with Mick McCarthy's outstretched hand after Ireland beat the Netherlands 1-0 in September 2001, a result which eliminated the Dutch from qualifying for the following Summer's  World Cup in Japan, where Keane/McCarthy relations would seriously go tits up.

This was the same day England won 5-1 in Germany and Scotland drew 0-0 at Hampden against Croatia.

I was actually in Dublin that day for the U2 concert at Slane Castle on the outskirts of the city, they showed the second half on the big screens I seem to recall.

Roy-Keane-shakes-hands-with-Mick-McCarthy-dbd1bb6ecf4b9eb971ddeacfd031a172.jpg

5 hours ago, trgf said:

That is utterly brilliant....what a player...elegance, grace speed, skill....he had it all

That game at 5:16.....what is going on there?  Never seen a crowd so close to the pitch......looks like a public park yet appears to be title clinching match in the final few seconds.

16 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I was very fortunate to witness them play against my team in the UEFA cup.

IMG_4990.thumb.jpeg.a8e9e55eda9edb75da202df9fcc59ffc.jpeg

IMG_4991.thumb.jpeg.82e5170f97fa67bc58118712527bca68.jpeg

Karl Heinz Rummenige tries the spectacular for West Germany against Morocco at Mexico 86. A last minute free kick from Lothar Matheus was the only goal of the game in this round of 16 tie, advancing the Germans to a quarter final against the hosts they won on penalties before defeating France 2-0 in the semi finals, a French team absolutely blown out after beating Brazil on penalties in an energy sapping classic in the searing Gudlajara heat a few days previously. Eventually going down 3-2 to Argentina in the final this was another example of an average German team using their experience, craft and guile in tournament football to go further than their talents probably merited. Something they were renowned in that era.

FB_IMG_1699742277249.jpg

"He's gonna flick one, HE'S GOING TO FLICK ONE......."

Brian Moore's iconic piece of commentary as Ronald Koeman flicks England out of qualifying for USA 94, just minutes after RK inexplicably and hilariously stayed on the pitch after a blatant professional foul on David Platt and poor Graham Taylor's infamous meltdown on the touchline all captured for that infamous Channel 4 documentary. 

00481701000004B0-3017178-Minutes_after_escaping_a_red_card_for_pulling_down_David_Platt_R-m-23_1427703528344.jpg