Miscellaneous football nostalgia pictures

Flybhoy

Ray Houghton heads Ireland's goal as they beat England 1-0 at Euro 88, Kenny Sansom is the England player.ย 

England would lose all 3 group matches whilst the Irish were eliminated by a late, very fortuitous goal by Wim Kieft in the final group match by The Netherlands, who went on to win the tournament.ย 

FB_IMG_1701090291532.jpg

Olympics Football 2012.ย 

Some people think the Olympics football isn't particularly important but I did get to see some good players in the flesh.ย 

brazilians.thumb.jpg.4a81e20eea686e5379e99ebbb3ade584.jpg

Brazilians at St James Park for the game against New Zealand

Spoiler

You may recognise Clovis Acosta Fernandes from this picture a few years later after Brazil were destroyed by Germany.ย 

brazilian2.jpg.361f283c1d0f45b2de5e9216bceeaaae.jpg

swevfra.thumb.jpg.baec2c42b4997f9b4b63b6b5a1335215.jpg

Sweden v France at a rainy Hampden. I have a match ball from this game.ย 

can.jpg.03585cb6a3decf02d5df49154c585722.jpg

USA's Megan Rapinoe gets wiped out by Canada's Diane Mathieson at Old Trafford in the semi final.ย 

ย 

On 03/12/2023 at 16:15, buchan30 said:

Even though Ramos is a wee fandango. What a team. That night that they played us at hampden, Iniesta was immense. Arguably the best player i have seen in the flesh.ย 

Aye I always say this too. He was all over the pitch pulling all the strings. An absolute maestro.

A goalless draw between England and France at Euro 92, the two favourites in that group crashed out at the expense of the less fancied host nation Sweden and Denmark who, incredibly went on to win the tournament after only being called up two weeks before the opening match to replace Yugoslavia who were in the midst of a civil war which would eventually see the demise of the country.ย 

Basile Boli who, infamously and unwisely sank the nut on Stuart Pearce in this match is pictured along with Luis Fernรกndez and David Batty are the players in the picture.ย 

FB_IMG_1701802869885.jpg