The Diddyship League Title

On 14/11/2023 at 16:46, Monkey Tennis said:

All these jokes about chocolate medals and Irn Bru trophies are very good.

The point is though, that there would actually be nothing remotely tin-pot, or embarrassing about any 'champion' crowned for finishing 3rd.

It would represent a tangible achievement, as a club would have beaten some others of similar stature and maybe some a bit weaker to get there.  If it was won by a Dundee or a St Mirren in fact, it would actually involve overcoming sides with significant advantages.

Contrast any such scenario with the nonsense that currently gets marked with fireworks and great faux excitement each year.  These 'triumphs' could not be less impressive, yet the pretence otherwise is projected everywhere.

It's not those competing in the Diddyship, who ought to feel embarrassed.

On a similar note, it always amuses me when an OF manager is handed Manager of the Year for winning the league, when in reality that is a bare minimum expectation, and had perhaps 3 or 4 results across a 50+ game season turned out differently one half of Glasgow and most of the media would be foaming at the mouth trying to run them out of town.

I'm struggling to think of another sporting scenario where not only is the margin between immortal hero status and laughing stock so wafer thin, but actually reaching legendary status requires absolutely no achievement beyond the basic minimum expectation in your role. It's truly bizarre. Provided you win the league and beat "them", you can get pumped silly in continental competition by all and sundry, and still you'll be lauded as a genius.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ha ha. Fair enough. I suppose I have a tiny issue with the attitude of a lot of (but not all obviously) Aberdeen fans who still seem to live in the 1980s. You’re really not “famous” any more. 😄

Out of curiosity on the Milne thing, did he expressly go against the stated view of Aberdeen fans, or were the fans not canvassed for their opinion before the decision was taken? 

Of course we weren’t consulted. As with VAR, don’t consult the customer base if you’re probably going to get an inconvenient answer. 

But I promise this isn’t whataboutery to state that premiership clubs are not inclined to rip up the current business model of maximise the commercial benefits of the OF’s appeal beyond Scotland and accept competing beneath them. 

Just as well neither of them have voting rights in the Diddyship.

Speaking of voting, just throw this out there to get the general consensus...

Should we include results against the OF in the Diddyship?

Yay or Nay?

My argument for 'Yay' is that teams in the Diddyship should be rewarded for flying the Diddy flag if the get any success against the OF. 

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Yay or Nay?

My argument for 'Yay' is that teams in the Diddyship should be rewarded for flying the Diddy flag if the get any success against the OF. 

It's a very firm Nay from me.

We're (well, you're actually) needing to act as it they don't exist.  

We should take this a step further, and in any season whereby an arsecheek wins the Scottish Cup, we award a Diddy Scottish Cup to the last non-arsecheek standing.

There is no need to consider the League Cup, as we've already established in the Tinpot thread that the League Cup is an utterly tinpot competition that even Diddies should be embarrassed to participate in. Perhaps we could award a Diddiest of Diddy Cups trophy to the lowest ranked side to get out of the group stage or something, because after the pre-season element it ceases to be of any consequence and nobody pays it the blindest bit of attention anyway.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

We should take this a step further, and in any season whereby an arsecheek wins the Scottish Cup, we award a Diddy Scottish Cup to the last non-arsecheek standing.

There is no need to consider the League Cup, as we've already established in the Tinpot thread that the League Cup is an utterly tinpot competition that even Diddies should be embarrassed to participate in. Perhaps we could award a Diddiest of Diddy Cups trophy to the lowest ranked side to get out of the group stage or something, because after the pre-season element it ceases to be of any consequence and nobody pays it the blindest bit of difference anyway.

What happens if two diddies lose the semi final to them?

29 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Why would they vote again when Milne had made it clear he wasn’t for it? Bit of a waste of time no?

No. If another vote was known to be taken the next year then I'm sure there would've been a fan reaction along the lines of getting them to change their stance on where the new club entered the league set up. Feelings were still very raw about the Sevco situation. Plenty of time to lobby and pressure him into a change of vote but they never even tried by the looks of things. They just capitulated at the first set back. It wasn't a once in a lifetime situation. The other clubs made it one.

1 minute ago, Charles Stiles said:

No. If another vote was known to be taken the next year then I'm sure there would've been a fan reaction along the lines of getting them to change their stance on where the new club entered the league set up. Feelings were still very raw about the Sevco situation. Plenty of time to lobby and pressure him into a change of vote but they never even tried by the looks of things. They just capitulated at the first set back. It wasn't a once in a lifetime situation. The other clubs made it one.

Is that not a little bit like saying we could’ve had another referendum in 2015?

7 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Is that not a little bit like saying we could’ve had another referendum in 2015?

Not really, clubs are free to put forward proposals at any time to be voted on and the SPFL would have to accommodate it. Slightly different to a constitutional referendum from a devolved government. 

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not really, clubs are free to put forward proposals at any time to be voted on and the SPFL would have to accommodate it. Slightly different to a constitutional referendum from a devolved government. 

I was of course meaning in principle, not in a practical sense. 
As in, have a vote, don’t like the answer, let’s vote again. 
Anyway, it’s history now. As long as Aberdeen are ashamed of themselves we should just leave it at that 😄

ETA……that shame should of course apply to both votes in question 😄

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

59 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

26th November 1995 still hitting hard in the City of Discovery I see.

Is it? That's a shame. I wouldn't know. Haven't set foot in the place since about 1993. 

Oh wait, I tell a lie. I did go there once in about 2017, but that was really Broughty Ferry, almost Monifieth, and that's Dundee United territory and not the City proper, so who knows? 😛

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

What happens if two diddies lose the semi final to them?

I propose in this case the next league meeting of the two sides becomes the defacto Diddy Cup Final.

If they don't play in the same league that season or the following one, we just toss a fucking coin.

Edited by VincentGuerin

14 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Yay or Nay?

I was the one who said Nay and for no other reason than that I'm saying Nay. This Diddy League need to have a 'NO OF' policy like the 2nd stage of European competitions have.